The End of Modern Civilization

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jesse49, Oct 13, 2021.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And it oughta'be against the law for a prick like Bezos to make 8 MILLION DOLLARS A DAY WHILE CHILDREN STARVE IN THIS AND OTHER COUNTRIES.!! So. He's worth 179 billion dollars. Anyone reckon he donates to , for example--St Judes childrens hospital? Donate to help animals? It's ridiculous that a society is set up so that people like Bezos, Musk and others can have that much money / power. Gates seems to give some of his for good causes, but the principle of having that much is just wrong.

MeAgain, Piobaire, granite45 and 3 others like this.
  2. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

Exactly what you're seeing now! A lack of soul nutrition and a lack of other kinds of nutrition.

BandA and scratcho like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a lack of logic in the service of consideration, and everything else being considered a substitute for it, including but not limited to; ideology, belief, and 'traditional' gender based behaviors.

(excessive human population is the multiplier, crowding everything else out, the way locusts do periodically. though a lot of other things being done wrong that don't need to be as well).

soul nutrition = imagination being exercised in harmless creative ways instead of being robbed by people telling each other what to pretend. the very opposite of what so called conservatives claim it to be, or very nearly. yes you can feel connectedness to the non-physical, without having to try to tell everyone else what to pretend about it themselves. or that it lives in a church or a book. it lives wild and free in a forest. and in the limitless diversity of the depths of space.

MeAgain and scratcho like this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

roadhogg and scratcho like this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

humans don't get a free pass for being humans. and the planet will keep going around the sun just fine when they do.
    eventually some other life form will evolve up to take their place. and make their own mistakes, instead of repeating ours.

scratcho likes this.
  6. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Pelosi has landed in Taiwan. We will have to see if China is all talk! The pissing contest has started.

7. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

If modern Civilization ends. Would it be better to go out with a bang? Or would you want to try to survive? When I was younger, I would have tried to survive, but drinking water will be hard to find.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

jimandjan and Tyrsonswood like this.
  9. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

The world of finance/economics............energy/resources..............geopolitics.

[​IMG]

Although i dont think humans will go extinct..........i do think it will get worse before it(hopefully) will get better(mindset/equality/humanity/planet).........hope i am wrong(younger generations).

I would love to see the future(after my time:D)..........just to see what happens.

Mzzls

scratcho likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

11. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't believe humans will go extinct unless the planet becomes totally unliveable. We're in the beginning phase of a climate crisis which will get much worse. Billions will die but there will be survivors, living in places where the weather and water supply are still tolerable. They would have to tough it out for at least a few decades before the rest of the planet starts getting back to normal. Then they would need to pass Draconian environmental laws.

Of course a global climate crisis would lead to wars, possibly nuclear wars, as nations get starved for resources such as water and are determined to get access to it by any means necessary. That could definitely make the planet unliveable.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

before something can end, it needs to begin.
    definitions matter
    civilization begins when the dominance of aggressiveness ends.

just because human society hasn't often (almost never) trended in this particular direction,
    is an accident of history, not a biologically imperative lack of capacity.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Echtwelniet and sureño like this.
  13. sureño

sureño Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is a thoughtful reflection. You're a total philosofer. :openmouth:

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't call civilization modern. With all the medical, scientific, travel, and philosophical reasoning advances---there are still wars, torture, humans starving , endless greed , overpopulation, not enough concern for the very home on which we live----no ---the same character traits of which we can't seem to rid ourselves have manifested since before written history. In my opinion, this little blue ball we call earth could be a welcoming, reasonably safe environment that required respect for all sentient beings (well--damn those mosquitos!) common and understood goals that would benefit all --again --sentient beings. War, economic disparity and excess greed and excess population , would be acknowledged by all to be stupid, wasteful and inimical to the happiness and equity of an intelligent race of beings.

Oh yeah--DON'T FORGET TO BUY MORE. BUY MORE NOW.

Echtwelniet and Tyrsonswood like this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They have to wait for "Black Friday" so they can trample a store employee and punch some other guy in the face so they can get that big screen TV that will only work for 3 months... It's more challenging that way.

scratcho and Echtwelniet like this.
  16. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Lying to ourselves at a time when the truth can change the world for the better will only change the world for the worse. If Terra does not focus all of it's magic on super mages then the predator mages will continue to deny it's existence while abusing it by preying upon others. Client list much?

jimandjan and themnax like this.
  17. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Can the truth change the world? Or have we waited too long?

DrRainbow likes this.
  18. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Never too late.

oldguynurse likes this.
  19. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes the truth can change the world but only if those in power embrace it. When they ignore or deny the truth then things get worse. As long as they make their millions or billions then they will have the resources to survive a climate crisis while the masses succumb to it. But then, can they survive a mass uprising?

DrRainbow likes this.
  20. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Here's a quote from the late 1700s (I've lost the source) commenting on a particular Christian denomination in the colonies. It takes little thought to transfer this to todays (mostly) bogus politicians and "leaders". Little has changed, except in intensity.

"They spend one day a week praying for their neighbors, and six days preying on them."

Tags: