The election countdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Jun 5, 2004.

1. UrsusKind

UrsusKind U like Chris Farley?

This is the way I see it. The more money you have you should pay higher taxes. Why you may ask well if you get more from a anything you generally pay more at the qick stop the mega gulp costs more than the tiny taste. The Really rich get so much more form this country than the poor do. For the most part they have more to loose if our country is invaded for the poor it don't matter who is in charge they don't get shit any way.

If you are extreamly rich the poor die for your rights on foreign soil, the poor work in your factories so you can have pleasures they will never obtain.

If you get rich in miss americas back yard you owe the grand ole lady a huge slice of your cake.

Middle class people and the pore pay this country back by making it run. Our taxes are things call school teachers, cops, soldiers, garbage men and women, mail men,.....

2. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Dooncoone, your plan just wouldn't work. For example:

Someone making 20,000 a year at some facory will have to pay $3000 (15%) in taxes, taking his earnings down to $17,000

The CEO at that company made 10 million that year. He pays 1.5 million in taxes (15%). It is a lot, granted, but he still has 8.5 million to live off of, which is a hell of a lot easier to live off of than $17,000

That type of idea is just not realistic, becuase they way our society operates, we HAVE to have those $20,000 a year guys in order for the 10 million dollar a year guys to have their money. So saying something (like I hear so often) such as "well if those people would have went to college, or worked harder...etc" is unrealistic, becuase we would STILL need people to work those paticular jobs, no matter how many people go to college or become successful.

There is no reason, if we have to have people living like this in our society, that we should make it even harder for them.

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Member

BRAVO! Well said.

4. dooncune

dooncune Member

I know that it wouldn't work. My point is that the poor pay very little tax compared to the rich, yet most of the bitching about taxes comes from the poor.

5. Sera Michele

But to the poor, a little bit of money is actually a lot.

6. dooncune

dooncune Member

What is your definition of poor? A person who makes less than $________.

7. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

IMO, if you have a roof over your head, don't live the "high life" by wasting money, and you still live life paycheck to paycheck, you're poor.

8. Sera Michele

I would considre that to be anyone living in the lower class.

The lower class (there is no specific definition) is generally those making under $25,000 a year. They, on average make $9,900 or so a year.

And here is a nasty little statistic:
    "The average income of the top 20 percent grew from $81,883 in 1967 to $143,743 in 2002, up 76 percent over the 35-year span, according the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Meanwhile, the average income of the bottom 20 percent, grew from $7,419 to $9,990, up 34 percent."
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040817/news_1n17income.html

These CEO's exploit the lower and middle classes in order to gain their wealth, and no matter how hard the lower classes work the gap between the rich and the middle class gets larger....and the lower class is just screwed. Japan has set limits over how much more an exec can make than his employees...why can't we do that here?

As long as these guys are setting their own payrate, they are always going to give themselves more money before they give their employees more. So why not tax the hell out of those greedy bastards anyways?

The "trickle-down" economics will never work because the greedy will just use their tax cuts to inflate their bank accounts. They don't create more jobs or put it in their employees pockets.

9. dooncune

dooncune Member

So, someone who makes $9,900 a year would pay $1135 in taxes assuming they have no children. Now say someone make $99,000 a year. They would pay $22,690 in taxes. So, if the second person makes ten times more money than the first person, why should they have to pay 20 times more tax?

Here's another nasty one:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/prtopincometable.html

Looks like anyone that makes under $28,528 only pays 3.9% of the nations taxes. And those people are 50% of the nations taxpayers. And they do the majority of the bitching.

Where is the drive to do better if there is a cap on how much someone can make? If you were to look at the Forbes 400 richest people in the US, you would find several people that started with little or nothing. They took what they had and turned it into a decent business and you want to tell them how much money they can make?

You are right - they are greedy. They want to make more money. That's why they open more stores and hire more people.

10. chickenchoker

chickenchoker Member

http://taxes.yahoo.com/rates.html

He pays more like 3.5 million in taxes. He is paying more in taxes than most people's entire family will even make in their lifetime, while you are sitting at home bitching about the 2500 you had to pay last year. Who is getting fucked here? The poor person paying 10-15% or the rich guy paying 35%?

11. Jozak

Jozak Member

Who are you to tell someone how much money THEY need? Everyone paying income tax got a tax break. Wealthier people got a bigger break becasue they pay most of the taxes.

12. Jozak

Jozak Member

And you have no right to tell people how much money THEY need, especially when it's their's to begin with.

13. Sera Michele

I think the people getting fucked are the people that can barely make a living. $2500 may not be a lot to some of you, but it is a lot to someone who doesn't make that much money.

And that example wsa given to dooncune as an example of why a flat tax rate across the board wouldn't work.

And I don't do ANY bitching about the taxes I pay, I just don't understand why the majority oftax cuts, when given, aren't going to the people who need them most, they are going to the people who need them the least. And BTW, I am not a person who needs them most, so I am not complaining for myself.

14. Sera Michele

You think it is because they pay most of the taxes, or because they have favor in the eyes of Bush?

Also, do you think any cuts were necessary while at the same time Bush has thrown us into the largest deficiet in history?

15. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Guys, this is an election countdown! If you want to argue about taxes start your own thread!

16. Jozak

Jozak Member

I don't see why Bush would favor them any more than Kerry or some other politician, that really does not answere my question.

I agreed with the tax cuts, but not the spending of Bush. I am not a Bush supporter, don't get me wrong, I think I've made that pretty clear in all my time here on this forum. When Bush passed that Perscription drug plan for seniors, I flipped out. I can understand being in debt because of the fight against terrorism, but not all this crap of free drugs for seniors, billions of dollars in aid to Africa, etc. etc.

17. Sera Michele

Well I would rather much pay for prescription drugs for seniors than the pointless slaughtering of troops and civilians out in Iraq.

18. Jozak

Jozak Member

Maybe so, but not everyone shares your opinion--that's the problem. But that still does not address what I have been saying earlier. Number one, it's not up to you or anyone else to decide how much another family/person, "needs". Secondly, I don't see why Bush would favor rich people any more than Kerry, do you even know the assets Kerry possesses?

19. Sera Michele

Yeah, well democrats have generally been better for the middle class than republicans have. But if you read my sig you would see that I am not a Kerry fan, so using Kerry to try and sway my opinion of Bush isn't going to work. I honestly don't think that either men are that different, although Kerry might be a little more diplomatic.

20. chickenchoker

chickenchoker Member

Well at least we agree on some things.