The Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by charbono, May 23, 2004.

1. feralfey

feralfey Member

Good book. Walrus, can you ask your library to order it?

2. Four Winds

Four Winds Member

I agree with the guy above.

Trying to offer insight into ones mind on LSD- while never ingesting the substance yourself is a lost cause, wouldnt you agree?

You dont truly know something, until you have experienced it for yourself. I have read it however, and I thought it to be a pretty good read- not the best book on the subject of drug culture and psychedelia- but a nice trip back to the 60's.

Overall, I'd still recommend the book, I enjoyed it.

3. Star Cat

Star Cat Member

I love this book! Have two copies of it, in fact. ;)

When I first started it, it had seemed kinda "droning" and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but once it got to the chapter describing the "big gross buss" they used, it just zoomed merrily along (no pun intended) and I just loved it.

One of my favorite parts, and I don't want to give it away for those who haven't read it, was the whole bit about the little "stunt" Dee was asked to do for Kasey while he was south of the border... and, just as Mountain Girl had feared, he had ended up "pulling a Dee-out." LOL!

4. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

this is the book that i read at least once a year...heve been doing so for about 10 years now, and every time I get something new out of it......
    .............I fucking LOVE this book....................................

5. eddie's gun

eddie's gun Member

i have just started reading this book after looking a this thread it took ages to find it in a book shop but was well worth the trouble, iv never read anything like it

6. Daisie

Daisie Member

Oooh.. I had to buy it on ebay, and even then there was slim pickins.

7. Star Cat

Star Cat Member

Remember what happened in it when the Merry Pranksters decided to visit Timothy Leary and his crowd? ;)

8. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

I am reading it for the secod time right now and i appreciate it even more. The book gets me fucking excited, so it must be good. Ken kesey has long been my hero and this book just adds onto that.

I first bought the newest edition of it but last summer i was at a yard sale and found a '68 edition so i scooped that up quick

9. TangerineSoul

TangerineSoul Member

I fell in love with Tom Wolfe as soon as he described someone picking a wedgie as "tweezing their undershorts out of the aging waxy folds of their scrota." That is seriously fantastic imagery. I couldn't put the book down after reading that.

10. Vana

Vana Member

Just finished this book... beautiful! After reading a lot of Kerouac, it's lovely to read more about Cassidy.

11. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

A friend of mine uses the work 'grok' & it always makes me think about E.K.A.T. Talks about 'who's driving this bus' too :D

12. jirachi_pt

jirachi_pt Member

I looked for this book for the longest time, then bought the only copy my local B&N got in... the a week later got a second, older copy for $0.55 at a used book store. Now I have one to keep, and one to lend out... even though both are out at the moment.
    I'm trying to get all of my friends to read it. The first person to suggest it to me is the coolest teacher in the world--my English 2 and Composition teacher; an ex-hippie that hitched-hiked to Height-Ashbury in like, '71. She was on the late end of the hippies.

13. mywildlove

mywildlove Member

I'm on the bus.

14. Big E brooklyn

Big E brooklyn Member

This book changed my whole decision on what I may want to major in college. I love the beat/hippie free love movement. It also changed my view on drugs and has lead to many new and wonderful KARIOS for me. This booked opened my eyes to a culture.

15. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Does anybody else feel sorry for Panch Pillow when he gets thrown off the bus? I thought it was unfair! But I f*****g love the book! I'm totally on the bus!
    xxx

16. Big E brooklyn

Big E brooklyn Member

This book is amazing. I believe everyone should read this book , it defines the the ken kesey and the start of lsd and movement.

17. smot_poker420

smot_poker420 Member

my dad bought it for me for 15 cents at the salvation army lol its an awesome book

18. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

I felt sorry for Pancho...until I met a facsimile of him...there are some people who just are never on the bus even if they are riding on the bus at the time....

19. Sun Goddess

Sun Goddess Member

I am almost done with this book and I don't want it to end! I love the picture it paints of the whole scene. It amazes me how great these people had it.. Just doing their thing without feeling like weirdos.. just grooving along to what they felt. It would be nice if there was more of that kind of thing today.. But who knows what the future holds.

20. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

^I agree with you my sister! I'm waving my freak flag always!

Peace and love wished your way
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx