The Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by charbono, May 23, 2004.

1. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

This is one of my favourite books ever..Hell I named myself after it..It was a book thatreally inspired me to want to know about counter cultures, to want to get out there and learn about different ideals and lifestyles and to be who I am today......

It is not even the drug side of it all just the freedom of expression and the freedom to be whoever you want to be and to explore yourself and your mind..Hell we got so little time lets gt out there and experience everything..

All in all a fantastic book I cannot recomend enough

2. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

I found it to be hard to read... I don't know, it just wasn't very interesting. Perhaps Tom Wolfe's writing style was the problem.

JMO

3. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

i think it's great!

4. NorwegianWood

NorwegianWood Member

To me, the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is the Bible in regards to how a hippie should live. Also, Tom Wolfe is such an amazing writer. The book really gives young hippies a taste of what it was like in the good old days.

5. Experience Haze

Experience Haze Member

i thought of it to be a wonderful book, because of it i want to read One Flew over the Coocoo's nest.

6. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Tom Wolfe's one of my favorite writers of all time. He and H.S. Thompson got me interested in creative non-fiction. I love Wolfe's energy and flair. So far I've read three of his books... Electric Kool-Aid, Radical Chic & the Mau-Mau (I think that's the title) and the absolutely brilliant The Right Stuff.

That's an excellent book, even better than the movie, which is pretty good too.

7. staples420

staples420 Member

I couldn't agree more! It totally inspired me too, and I totally dig the whole 'living in the NOW' thing.. fucking awesome!
    It really does make ya wanna get out there and experience everything.. Christ, I think it honestly has to be the most inspiring book I've ever read.
    (and I love your siggy by the way! :) )

And LuciferSam, I'm with ya on the Wolfe and Thompson thing. They have both greatly sparked my interest in nonfiction novels. Both are excellent writers.
    And I also have to agree about "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I loved that book too.

8. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

i went to spain last year for a while and brought two english books with me: the electric kool-aid acid test and fear and loathing. i also found an english copy of on the road in my host family´s house, so i read that, too.

all three of these books intertwine somehow. it´s fantastic.

i know this guy who said that he used to live in this place in mexico - apparently it´s where neal cassidy lived and where kerouac always hung out. there was a small library in the house with a bunch of postcards addressed to and from these guys as well as many other known beats and people of the time.
    apparently, the train tracks where cassidy died are RIGHT by this place, too.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Acid Test was a very good representation of the time.
    Did anyone else catch the mid-60s institutional racism at the beach?
    I thought I liked Wolfe's take on gonzo journalism/ New Journalism, but then I read Candy Coated Tangerine Flake Streamline Baby.
    ahhh, no.

Thompson/Wolfe
    can't stand each other. always scary when they wind up on panels together. J schools have learned....
    I find Thompson more "real" in his stream of consciousness, much more like Kerouac. They began to write within 5-8 years of each other.
    Wolfe has that Ivy League-outsider thing going on, and true journalism does have that disconnect. But Wolfe disconnects from the reader, too.
    Thompson can get me to read sports. I loathe sports. But I read his older stuff.
    Wolfe is a craftsman in his writing whereas Thompson is a loose cannon in that he will to this day, submit minutes before the pages go to camera.
    I wish I could get away with that.
    drumminmama
    reporter to the 'burbs

10. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

this is just my humble opinion, but I think that book is highly over-rated. Not to say that it's a bad book, because it's not, but I think WAY too many people just claim to like it simply because they think it fits in with their "hippie" image.

I'm not dogging the people who actually do like it for real though, don't get me wrong.

11. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Totally agree, it's interesting from a historical perspective to see a first hand account of the beginnings of something so significant but given Wolfe's background as a journalist and spectator to what was happening, I find his style of delivery of the prose a little false and hard to stomach, but then that's just my view.

12. wideyed

wideyed Member

so thats another book i read 10 years ago and i think it stands the test of time in that i still remember scenes from it! the bus, cassady riding away with the audio equipment, washing their feet in the ocean, its all coming back. tangentially, kesey wrote a book in like 92 called sailor song that i absolutely love. and now hes dead.. thank you sir. regarding wolfe i dont like his books that much overall - i think it was the material that made this one.

"this kool aids for the BIG kids, this kool aids for the LITTLE ones.."

13. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

when i was reading the part where kesey was explaining acid i just kept thinking, holy shit, this man is a genius. it's so hard to explain a trip and he did it perfectly but then went on to say that those were just words and it's more than words it's a feeling. i totally understood him. and how it opens the doors of perception and when you trip you see things how you were meant to perceive them, not how someone else taught you to. amazing, amazing man.

14. Acorn

Acorn Member

has anyone read this book? it sounds intresting. i was wondering if its worth buying or just reading?

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Very good book

16. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Best book I ever borrowed from the library under someone elses name ;)

17. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

Awesome book, read hells angels by hunter tompson after your done with that one. Both books reference the same big party :sunglasse

18. Tisbutehname

Tisbutehname Member

The big Party! haha

yeah this book is simply amazing. It furthers the Neal Cassady legend and really lets you on to how the whole acid movement really started and how it has in the eys of Kesey, pretty much halted. I dig this book alot. Over all mr. Wolfe is an excellent writer.

check it out and take it in!

19. superNova

superNova Member

absolutely totally love it! probably my favorite book. i totally dig the style, the content, everything. read it, please! :)

20. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member