The Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by charbono, May 23, 2004.

1. lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick Member

i just started it!

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think it would have been more interesting written from an insider's perspective. Plus there was nothing in Tom Wolfe's prose that really reached out and grabbed me. I usually enjoy books more for the writing style than the story, but with this I enjoyed it simply because the lore surrounding the merry pranksters interests me so much.

3. TheMadcapPiper

TheMadcapPiper Member

I loved that book, it put into words so many feelings and thoughts that I didn't believe could be put down on paper. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

4. ChrisFromScotland

ChrisFromScotland Lang may yer lum reek

The film is supposedly due in 2011

5. TheMadcapPiper

TheMadcapPiper Member

I heard that, they were also supposedly going to use Heath Ledger to play Kesey, but since his passing they were considering Jack Black and turning it into a comedy, which sounded just awful. :(

6. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

Oh I hope not! And I wouldn't have liked Heath Ledger as Kesey....too young IMO.

7. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bear -- Augustus Owsley Stanley III -- died today at age 76. Among many other things, he was the creator of the most famous Grateful Dead design of them all -- the skull fuck, the lightning bolt through the skull.

8. Altered Ego

Altered Ego Member

May he RIP. I woulda loved to have gotten a chance to sample his wares.

Currently about midway thru the book, I kinda don't want it to end...

then I remember the lesson: NOTHING LASTS :sultan:

9. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

i'm sad to say that though this book came out during my formative years, for some reason or other i never read it. i know basically what it's about, having read contemporary reviews about it. paisley.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Article in Sunday's Register-Guard regarding Ken Babs's book about the VN war is coming out. Kesey's family is still around here. His son produces concerts.

11. Conexion

Conexion Guest

great book. definitely a must-read for anybody who wants to open their mind a little bit and dig deeper than the surface.

12. darkstar~co!

darkstar~co! Member

13. antihippie

antihippie Member

A really interesting snapshot of that time and place, Wolfe is a very versatile, talented writer who tries to be objective as possible despite his conservative views.

As mentioned this is only one side of the story though if you can find it Ken Keseys films on the trip where released some time ago "intrepid traveler and his band of merry pranksters go to a kool place" fascinating to watch after reading the book even if they aren't quite what Kesey had imagined and the sound is busted for the first film. Pretty much the films look like what a film would look like if a bunch of space cadets on acid decided to make a movie.

Really cool but sad seeing Neal Cassady. He was on his last legs at that time just a wino speed freak, would love to have video of him when he was in his prime. But alas, the book and the movies are all we have.