The Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin

Discussion in 'Books' started by sky_pink, May 9, 2004.

?

Your favourite Earthsea book:

1. A Wizard of Earthsea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Tombs of Atuan

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. The Farthest Shore

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Tehanu

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Which of the Earthsea books is your favourite?

And can you recommend anything else like that, either by the same author, or by anybody else?

2. akhc

akhc Member

hmm if u're going to have Tehanu in the poll u should really include Tales from Earthsea and The Other Wind (the second and third books of the second Earthsea trilogy).

3. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

True. I hadn't thought about that. :rolleyes:

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I never heard of those books, can anyone describe them to me? They sound interesting just by the titles... what kind of litterature is it?

5. akhc

akhc Member

they are fantasy.. in fact the first trilogy was written for children and won numerous awards for children's books.

however they can be read at a much deeper level. LeGuin is very much a believer of the Tao-ist philosophy and it comes through in the books.. balance between life and death.. lite and dark.

can't recommend them highly enough.. there are few things that travel with me everywhere.. my first serious gf's letters.. LeGuin's first Earthsea trilogy.. that's about it :).

the second Earthsea trilogy is more controversial.. it's very much written for adults and rewrites the way she views her Earthsea universe. read the first for sure.. n the second too though some diehard fans insists she spoils it with the second.

6. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Thanks a lot for describing them to me! :) It was sweet. I thought they were fantasy with such titles - I love fantasy books in general.

Those books seem pretty interesting to me so I guess I'll check them out as soon as possible... I need new books to read at the moment!