The Dready Meet & Greet Post!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbyRedLocks

RobbyRedLocks Member

[​IMG]
    I'm me too! I Love OlyWA what a wonderful little town - we went there after 2001 National Gathering in Idaho to pick up my friends stuff he had left there for a couple years after moving back to Illinois from Olympia - Well'p we ended up staying in Oly for like 2 months --such beautiful people there - I made well over $100 dollars the very 1st time I "busked" there...I played for like 6 hours though and it was during Oly's little festival days (I forgot the name of the fest) but the people were soooo nice to me - I could never just play music on the streets around Chicago and make that much $$$- I've played out on Waveland Ave. & Sheffield after a Cubs game a few times but I would never make THAT good of money - I always have hoped to return to Oly....someday -

2. Arachne

Arachne Member

hi, all. i'm aly, and my locks are about 5 months old. i love them dearly, they have helped my energy grow stronger, as well as enhanced even more my connection to the earh. i'm so happy to see so many beautiful brothers and sisters with dreads! strong roots and loving hearts!

3. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

yey! ive had mine for about a year and a half now...started out by backcombing but that was only for the first night, then the only thing i did was dance like a lunitic and sweat all over them-works everytime:)

well thats me....[​IMG]
    not the best to see my dreads, but that was when they were about 8 months old.
    N
    x

4. gruvenmama420

gruvenmama420 *sweet sugga mama*

heya, i'm an artist and craftin mama from PA and i'm 17. had my dreads for well over a year ;D

5. RobbyRedLocks

RobbyRedLocks Member

JAH volunteers
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Arachne

Arachne Member

robbyredlocks, you fellows look beautiful, and i'm sure your music is wonderful as well

7. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

Well, my locks are about a week and a half old! I love them dearly.

Erik put in the wrap I have. It's so special. He has never even made a necklace before and he did a beautiful job wrapping my hair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're nice and big. I wanted them really phatty! :D

8. RobbyRedLocks

RobbyRedLocks Member

GRETTINGS!!!Hope all is well -
    Hello
    -g'day
    "IRIE" - headyMOE.ck
    there's a greeting for ya!!

9. elemental666

elemental666 Member

Hello hello hello hello hello my little droogies!!!

Hmm, what to say... Well, I've always been a tech geek. Worked as a programmer for a few years at IBM in Boulder. When in Boulder my awareness of the natural world blossomed and I began to dislike much of the synthetic world. Which utlimately resulted in me no longer being much a of a tech geek (not that those skills are not being utilized anymore, they just aren't my focus). So I've been gradually incorporating more natural methods and poducts into my life. I eat mostly organic and free range foods (sorry I like meat, can't help it), wear only natural fibers, grow a good deal of my meal in my garden which only gets organics. While I've always been a bit of a Agnostic, I'd have to say I'm more pagan now than ever before (and yes I do believe in fairies)... I guess that about sums me up, in a nutshell...

I turn 30 in August and decided its high time I started livin this life on my terms, balls to you if you can't handle that!!! lol So I always wanted to give a dreads a shot and now I am!

So well met gang!

10. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Hey Now Elemental, I had similar situation- was in corporate retail management for a long time. Now I have my own clothes business and am startin the dreaddies... and I'm 32. Always nice to meet other thirtysomethings just getting started.
    hugs
    sam

11. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

wow so many new people !!! welcome ..
    wow eye haven’t been here for ever...

eye just returned from an oracle gathering

12. elemental666

elemental666 Member

*sniff sniff sob* [​IMG]

I washed my dreads at 1.5 weeks and half of them came undone. It was heart breaking, but I had some other problems with my dreads. Some were WAY to thin, I mean WAY to thin. And I had some wax in some of them and that was starting to really bug me and I couldn't get rid of the itch. So I soaked em, and washed em with shampoo for damaged/dry hair and conditioned them until they all came out...

Fear not, I will be sectioning and backcombing again soon!

Hopefully round two will be more succesfull. So, here's my plan, with a discalimer.

I, personally, like a more uniform dread look. I'm not a rastafarian, and can't sport the awful mess of the natural method at work. So I'm trying to keep the mess down (frizzies are fine, as long as its frizzie dreads and not frizzie mess).

What I did last time was wash with dreadhead shampoo, section, spray on the dreadhead accelerator, backcomb and put rubbers only on the ends. I started to wax them but didn't like the wax, so only waxed about 4 or 5. A day later my roots were a mess, so i put rubber back on them. Couple of days after that the smaller one came undone and were only notted at the tips and roots. I palm rolled a lot and that seemed to help the ones that didn't fall apart. the rubberbands started to become part of the dreads so I cut them out and wrapped the roots and tip in cloth then put rubbers over that. That worked good for the tips but the roots started getting to thin and hard (but not matty, dunno how to splane it). So i switched to ouchless hair ties for the roots. Them worked gewd, kept it all organized but didn't choke em out. I applied the accelarator once more the first week. By the middle of week 2 I could handle the itchies so I washed my head, trying to get the scalp and not the roots, but everything got soaked anyway. When it was mostly dry I put accelerator on trying not to get it on my scalp. Unfortunately I had too many dreads and not enough time, so I only rolled half of them. The other half came completely undone.

So so so sad was I, but ever the optimist I decided to learn from my mistakes. So I washed and conditioned the rest of the dreads out and got rid of all wax and crap.

My hair is about 18" long undreaded, so I think I'm gonna trim it down to about 10" all over, might make it easier to maintain this way. I'll have some friends help me section in about 1" squares this time, use the shampoo and knottyboy gel , ouchless at the roots and cloth + rubber on the ends (the cloth + rubber things looks purty too XD). I'll backomb some and braid the rest and make sure the backcombing is done really good (the ones that were really well done didn't fall out last time). It might take a few weeks to get the backcombing done but it'll be worth it if I don't have any half ass ones like last time. I think if I get them off to a better start all will be fine. I got some stuff for a scalp now to combat itchies too. So yeah, off I go!

13. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

NOt to be nosy, but why do you want dreads in the first place?

14. elemental666

elemental666 Member

uhm, cause braids looked really good on me and I always wanted to try them. I don't have any deep philisophical or moral reason, just want 'em cause I think they'll good on me.

15. moontime

moontime mountain girl

My first time the dreads slipped out after washing, so I started putting rubber bands at the roots and tips before washing. It helped tremendously.

16. KnottyLocks808

KnottyLocks808 Member

ALoha im new im Dahui from KnottyLocks i see a few people i know heehee

17. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Elemental, I would reccomend not sectioning you hair into squares, it'll pull at the corners. You want them as close toround as you can get em:)

18. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Aloha Dahui.

19. positive vibes

positive vibes Member

welcome Dahui we meet again, heheehe :)

20. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

[​IMG] this is my crazy dread that comes out of the top of my head. After I play with it I look like a dr. suess character :)

[​IMG] this one i took so you can see how my dreads are coming along

[​IMG] smile for the camera!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.