the doors of perception

Discussion in 'Books' started by Acorn, May 14, 2004.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

hows that book and whats it about?
    the libary doesnt have it so i would have to buy it, do you think its worth buying?

2. Main St Wizard

Main St Wizard Member

It is definitely worth buying. In it, the noted author Aldous Huxley uses various psychedelics & records the results of his experiments.. The observations are very insightful & offer much on the topic of consciousness itself. You should check it out.. it's easy to find in most bookstores. Most editions come coupled with the similarly-themed (and also Blake-titled) Marriage of Heaven & Hell. I hope you find it alright & enjoy.

3. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

the text is available online...
    (maybe at www.erowid.org or www.lycaeum.org or www.psychedelic-library.org or www.csp.org ... click around...)
    the book is quite worth the read... it is aldous huxley's musings on his first mesaline trip back in the mid-50s... the mescaline was supplied by a couple of canadian doctors involved in psychedelic therapy at a saskatchewan hospital; they gave him the mescalin in the hills overlooking los angeles...
    another psychedelic essay by huxley is _heaven and hell: a voyage to the antipodes of the mind_
    aldous huxley's collected psychedelic writings are gathed in _moksha_
    ~
    sorta related: alan watts also wrote very interesting material concerning his psychedelic experiences, including the gorgeous _the joyous cosmology_

4. sonik

sonik Member

Aldous Huxley is one of my fav authors.

Even though his writing can become a bit technical it really is a joy to read. Not to mention very thought provoking.

THey should make kids read his works in school!

:cool:

5. Summertime

Summertime Member

I found it sorta intense, but intriguing at the same time. Buy it- it's a good book! :)

Summer. xx.