The Doors are so cool

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonathancoconut, Jan 5, 2005.

1. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

Yes, right on my man:D Hugs Syd;)

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

dude... he died fat and hairy.... not sexy at all [​IMG]

In his early days tho, I say he's second, to Mick ;)

3. syd

syd Banned

He actually lost weight and was clean shaven before he died, except for his hair.

4. soulrebel51

But still, Mick never got fat :p

And Jim has never given me a hard-on, Mick's the only man to do that... haha :D :D

5. MBintheOC

Oh Chuck:rolleyes: lol

6. soulrebel51

He did.... it was this picture that did it.

7. MBintheOC

8. Ellied

Ellied Senior Member

me too, they are truly amazing and i always find there songs cheer me up, none of them are depressing at all! RIP Jim!!! xxxxx

9. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

i enjoy the doors, i find a connection with their music and everyone of their song. it was a known fact in jim's eyes that he never believed to be a good vocalist, but that is what makes it amazing, that he had an unique and quite sexy voice. althoug he got fat, he was still amazing in his own right. i could go on and on about this group, my favorite, but i will do you all a favor and shut my mouth right now. rock on to those who don't feel the same as many of us do, but we love music altogether and that is what matters.. without music, what do we really have?

10. Skelter

Skelter Helter

the doors are the most overrated band of the sixties. their first two albums are really great, but the rest is just mediocre.

11. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

all in their own right.. its all good =)

12. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I agree. Unlike what some people say, the Doors certainly didn't suck. They just weren't as amazing as people make them out to be. The Doors and Strange Days are quite good, and L.A. Woman isn't bad, but their discography simply isn't very solid.

13. goldmund

goldmund Member

that's true, they don't suck. its the pendulum that swings.

14. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Jim Morrison's poetry is... kindergarden. :D

15. Gravy_Train_Gilmour

Gravy_Train_Gilmour Member

i'd agree that his actual poetry is mediocre at best. but his writing as it pertains to music was damned good.

and it's ridiculous to say that the dead had a "better understanding" of the psychedelic experience, and cite the acid tests as your only example. their jams better represent the experience, and in this facet, the doors most certainly are more of a commercial band than just trying to be a part of that. but i don't see how you can justify saying they understood the psychedelic experience anymore.

and it's kesey, btw.

16. Skelter

Skelter Helter

Manager of the Doors has died!

Danny Sugerman, who first saw The Doors in
    concert in 1967 and landed a job at their West
    Hollywood office answering fan mail, eventually
    becoming the group's manager, died last night, at
    the age of 50, after a long struggle with lung
    cancer.

17. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

I've really got into them recently. =)

18. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Hmm... thanks for the info, Skelter.

19. goldmund

goldmund Member

I don't believe I only cited the acid tests as my basis for believing the dead had a better understanding of the psychedelic experience, or of their craft. If so, it was a sloppy response, but that still doesn't change my view. In my view, the psychedelic experience leads to a loss of ego which allows one to constantly experiement with ever expanding ranges of sound, etc. in their music. Yes, their role as guide, or diversion, in the acid tests certainly gave them an edge in understanding and flowing with crowd energies, twisting these energies to spiraling heights in their music, and never doing the same thing twice.

In contrast, the Doors, played fairly predictable shows, fairly predictable music (save the rants, raves, and other non-musical spectacles of Morrison), 2.5 minute songs (i know they had a few longer ones, you get my point) that don't twist, turn, and suprize and lead the listener on epic journeys into the mind.

Where the Doors were lead by a drunken egotist, the dead was anarchic, democratic. One never knew what would happen at a dead show. Jerry's soaring, jazzy, off-tempo scales, were mind-popping. Pigpen's organ defined sf sound. There is no way you can compare the music of the Doors to that of the Dead.

It seems like many people, even yourself, agree with me. The doors music was good, at times mediocre, definately overated.