The doctors in the 1800s were really fucking stupid

Discussion in 'History' started by TrumpCards, Apr 8, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Every generation can say the same thing about every previous generation. In a couple hundred years, if HF is still around, there will be a thread about how stupid we were.

2. parua

parua Members

The doctors were doing the best they could with the knowledge and tools at the time. Their compassion was water on the fire of stupidity of those who contributed to the start and continuation of the war.

Piobaire likes this.
  3. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There were no gunshot wounds back in the caveman days, and just because your teacher told you, doesn’t mean she’s right. Some teachers lack common sense, people skills, and have a tendency to “shoot from the hip” with some bullshit that they know they can get away with because students won’t fact check. Don’t be fooled by the degrees on the wall.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm pretty sure i've seen that thread several times already.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Pretty sure that's already happening...

scratcho and (deleted member) like this.
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Hippocrates was one of our first documented physicians. By modern standard he would be judged to be totally incompetent and probably jailed for one reason or another. However, he did believe in the scientific method. He kept rigorous journals to keep track of what worked and what didn't. When his treatments did no good (or made the patient worse) he was careful to document that as well. In fact, he lost more patients than he saved. Today he is remembered in the form of The Hippocratic Oath...first, do no harm.

You can't judge a person from the past based on the knowledge we have in the present.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Oh, yeah. The politics threads...I forgot.

8. ChoosChins

ChoosChins Members

So fucking stupid. Dipshits used to die of totally preventable diseases too. How fucking hard is it to activate the immune system against a disease by prepping it with a small amount of the disease so it can fight it better when it comes across the real thing? Morons throughout history dying from smallpox, measles, polio etc...

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Even if the doctors are reluctant to amputate, once gangrene sets in there's no other alternative otherwise it would continue to spread.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Trashing doctors is the new cool thing isn't it?

11. Eric!

Unfortunately, nothing is exempt from trash talk. Everything is up for debate.........followed by crucifixion.

hotwater and Mysteron like this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Loses his arm at the doc in Saint Denis, right? :-D

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

his arm? i'm not sure if you're referencing something i'm not aware of, but i think in the main game that's just when he gets diagnosed.

i think there was a random encounter where you bring someone there to get an amputation, now that you mention it.

14. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

So are you saying the teacher is wrong and you dont steriliz the wound?

15. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

Teachers dedicate their careers to educating the next generation. For less money than they could probably earn else where. Can I ask what your occupation is?

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

A fantastic movie is Hysteria (2011). It is set in 1880's Victorian England and shows how the treatment for female hysteria leads to the invention of the vibrator. At least watch the trailer.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Are you asking yourself what your own occupation is?

Seems you should know without asking....

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i blame his teacher.

19. Eric!

Nope, that’s not what I’m saying, please read what I said again and try not doing o take it out of context or take it personal.

20. Eric!

I’m fully aware of this, and my remark doesn’t pertain to ALL teachers, only some. This is not a shot from the hip, it’s what I’ve actually seen and experienced. My job? I won’t share with you exactly what I did, but it involved instructing and yes, teaching for many years throughout my career.