The doctors in the 1800s were really fucking stupid

Discussion in 'History' started by TrumpCards, Apr 8, 2018.

1. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

During the Civil War, If someone was shot in the limb, they would go ahead and amputate it. But how hard is it to figure out that you can remove the bullet, sterialize the wound, and put on a bandage? Even the fucking cavemen knew you could use fire to carterize a wound, so why did it take so long to figure out the way they do it today?

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The gun shot wound is not the problem the infection is.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

do you know this for a fact?

jagerhans, srgreene and Eric! like this.
  4. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

That’s why I said you sterilize the wound.

That’s what my World History teacher in high school said. And she was pretty damn smart, so that’s why I believe her.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm not sure if it's even possible to know that. maybe there were cave drawings of it? there certainly was no written language at that point so there's no documentation of that sort. and i wouldn't think that you would be able to tell from the remains that have been discovered; most of the cauterization affects the skin and other soft tissues that would have decomposed thousands of years ago. i suppose there might be some charring of the bone, but i would be surprised if that would survive this long.

jagerhans likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Even as late as 1893, doctors were attempting to cure cholera by a short immersion in a bath of almost boiling water. Unfortunately the virus was more resistant to boiling water than the patient.
    Although largely eradicated from the history books, most people accept that this is how Tchaikovsky died.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Exactly even Tuberculosis (the white plague) was treated with Rest, Fresh Air, and Improved nutrition, during the first half of the last century until the advent of Antibiotics

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

[​IMG]

jagerhans likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Medicine up until WW2 was pretty basic. We are really only advanced because of war crimes.

Piobaire and SouthPaw like this.
  10. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

They knew how to treat those types of wounds back then. A lot of high ranking officers in the Civil War travelled with their own personal surgeons.

The issue was the high volume of gunshot wounds vs. the availability of doctors and medical facilities. When thousands of soldiers suffer gunshot wounds in a matter of hours they had to try to save as many as they could. It was quantity vs. quality, so they could save the most lives by whipping through amputations rather than to repair and reconstruct shattered bones and tissue.

Eric! likes this.
  11. Toasted Oats

Toasted Oats Members

I think we should remember that in the 1950s the US tested the effects of radiation on soldiers and civilians. After seeing the results in Japan they should have known better. Stupid lives!

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You are more likely to die that way

You destroy the cells, fuse the molecules together, never uniformly. Microscopically it therefore is still an open wound.

Most people that die from burns, housefires and such actually die from infection

Even if you were out hunting and did a Rambo, doctor would most likely cut the burnt skin out again so it doesnt get infected

Eric! and soulcompromise like this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's sad and a little gross

15. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Today's antibiotics did not exist during Civil War era so the idea was try and save a life rather than limb. Many soldiers died of simpler wounds such as graze shots due to the onset of infection.

Today doctor's are merely salesmen for big-pharma .

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

people were not less intelligent, even thousands of years ago. most of what they lacked, was the research that hes been done since.

17. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

That is correct.

Just to add a bit more meat to the bone. Often when a bullet hits a limb it shatters splinters bone causing an infection. In removing a bullet in isolation will not solve the problem even if that could be done, as some of the bullets themselves could splinter . So in most cases the only way would be to amputate.

Many soldiers lost their lives to infection caused by wounds , perhaps nearly as many who died outright on the battlefield .

We have to also remember medical science back then was still lacking compared to what we know today.

Eric! likes this.
  18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

taken out of context, i would assume this is referring to the hf sex forums.

treeswinger10 and soulcompromise like this.
  19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There are some really fucking stupid doctors now...

Eric! and tumbling.dice like this.
  20. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Nitocris likes this.