The 'Deplorables' Speech: Five Years Later

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ~Zen~, Aug 31, 2021.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So what happened in Portland was that a group of Proud Boys, i.e. neo Nazis, "hipster racists" (Vox), who are "overtly Islamophobic" (Anti-Defamation League), subscribe to "white genocide conspiracy theory" (International Centre for Counter-Terrorism), are an "alt-right fight club" (Southern Poverty Law Center), and is identified as a "hate group" (NPR), and has had members indicted by the United States Justice Department, and has been banned by Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube; chased a group of antifa members to a gas station. The Proud Boys initiated the attack. When the antifa group fought back the Proud Boys got more violent turning the event into a riot, and as we see in this video attacking and destroying antifa property. They then destroyed another vehicle and fired paint ball guns at antifa members and reporters.
    Finally a Proud Boy shot at antifa members and was arrested.
    Then they post videos like this one crying because somebody has the balls to stand up to them. Cupcakes, snowflakes, losers, and deplorables.

"I want violence, I want punching in the face. I'm disappointed in Trump supporters for not punching enough." ~ Gavin Miles McInnes co founder of the Proud Boys, he also stated, violence is "a really effective way to solve problems".

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Just in case you think these people are fringe, and not mainstream;
    Metropolitan Republican Club invites Proud Boys leader to speak
    Proud Boys to Speak at Boca Raton Republican Club
    Portland Republican Party Signed Agreement with Proud Boy "Security Team"
    Nevada GOP Sought Help From Proud Boys

And THIS:
    FBI: Cell Phone Data Shows Calls From Proud Boys to White House Just Prior to January 6th Insurrection

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    scratcho, MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

OK Guys, this thread is NOT about Proud Boys... but Hillary Clinton's speech.

If you want a thread on Proud Boys start one!!!

wrat1, MeAgain and Toecutter like this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'd suggest that some of those deplorables in that basket have metastasized over time.

Today's basket of deplorables.

taliban.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    scratcho likes this.
  5. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Errrmmm - where's that bastard Boris ???

6. sosmartamadeus

sosmartamadeus Members

I just don't think they deserve the leverage of being acknowledged as a force to be reckoned with. I think all it does is empower them, the attention. It makes other Americans believe they exist in overwhelming numbers.

The more you acknowledge something, the more it becomes normal or commonplace. I wish she was remembered for a great speech commemorating the principles this country does stand for.

That's what the emphasis should always be on.

MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Examples of how left wing extremist nutjobs (or those catering to them) make up names for those people who stand for traditional right wing values of common decency.

I don't see a balancing collection of right wing characterizations of these lawless leftist opportunists who've been terrorizing people, looting, burning, defacing, and destroying other's livelihoods - for so long now.

That's telling.

There's a connection here. Would we even have these two groups out in any noticeable public manner if not for her speech?

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I didn't know neo-nazis were standing for traditional right wing values... Good to know.

scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Common decency? Mob rule is decent now? Betcha plenty of "good Germans said the same about Hitler's brown shirts.

Those tend to be a more local problem for Portland.

You illustrate the truth of her speech with virtually every post.

scratcho likes this.
  10. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

And when I've pointed this out in reference to racism/skin color privilege/differences, I've been name-called.

If we're going to be honest about these issues then we're going to realize that there exist people whose intentions are to divide us. They are the ones amplifying claims of disparities along any and all lines they can possibly conjure up to capture people's emotions and split people up in any way they'll respond.

We must resist this subversion and unite over our commonalities.

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

What are "neo-nazis"?

12. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

So was "basket." Truckload would have been more accurate..

scratcho likes this.
  13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

So now you're speaking out against "the summer of love", the "autonomous zones", and such mob rule scenarios.

If you paid attention, you'd have seen thugs demanding "defund the police", weak mayors succumbing, police abandoning, and the inevitable fighting among citizens.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    riverman18 likes this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

neo-Nazi

/ˌnēōˈnätsē/

noun

plural noun: neo-Nazis

a member of an organization similar to the German Nazi Party.
    a person of extreme racist or nationalist views.

15. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

[​IMG]

16. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I believe she was right to call out the situation for what it was and is...

The point is the country is divided across the board on basic principles of justice and freedom.

It takes a team to make a change happen. I know this from management experience. Not one person can change this, it will take a dedicated group of hard willed and very determined folks with a high degree of intelligence to see through the fog, smoke and mirrors.

But considering the sad state of education in the US, these people are few and far between.

Hillary warned us, we didn't listen and look what happened.

Now we have to try and fix an even bigger mess.

scratcho, MeAgain and Tyrsonswood like this.
  17. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If anyone else made this statement, I don’t think it would have had the same outcome. There’s a deep rooted hatred for Hillary Clinton and that’s a fact. Trump capitalized on that hatred as well.

18. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Oh yeah they're deplorable. And now you can add anti-vaxxer to “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamophobic” which went into her “basket of deplorables.”

Still that statement alienated her from many voters, not just Trump's base but voters who were on the fence. It underscores Hillary's lack of charisma, and let's face it, Trump's charisma was a big factor in the 2016 election. Surely she could have picked a more tactful term, like "basket of dividers" or "basket of intolerants". Less offensive and they get to the point better!

Any other suggestions?

scratcho likes this.
  19. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

Problem is that the Truth has become a liability and she paid the price. A significant proportion of the population expects to be lied to and Trump was happy to serve them. This does not bode well. Institutions built on falsehoods are bound to collapse sooner or later.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Piobaire, Eric! and scratcho like this.
  20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Charisma is made of many things, and one of the most crucial is tact. Tact is not lying, it's presenting the truth in it's finest light. It's the ability to tell someone they're an asshole and then get them to agree with you. Hillary lacks that ability.

Trump on the other hand has lots of charisma but is also a chronic liar and a corrupt politician. That became clearer during his term, thus his charisma wasn't enough to get him re-elected. But it was enough to let him incite a riot at the Capitol and hold on to a base which still denies that he lost. How could such a high percentage of Americans be so gullible? How about "basket of idiots", that's what I call them. And sadly it's a huge basket.

scratcho likes this.