the deep south is it that scary??

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pixieface, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Pixieface

Pixieface Member

i have never been to the deep south but i plan on goin to alabama in the summer is it as brutal to hippies as i have been told???

2. Krsna Bhakti

Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

It's only as scary as you allow it to be. Dont allow anyone to force you to fear them. :) But yes, it is rather different from the north.

3. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Hmmm, I was in Alabama years back for a wedding I was in, and I think you have a lot more to worry about if you're an African American. I couldn't get over how racist many of the people were, it was like stepping back in time or something.

4. texasmade3

texasmade3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

if you wanna know anything about the south just pm me.. yes its kinda different.. but no not really at the same time.. alabama? that place sucks iv been there, iv pretty much been to every state in the u.s except 5. i live in texas right on the border of louisiana. about 30 min away. no its not brutal either.. just go find out for yourself!

5. Pixieface

Pixieface Member

ok coz i have a friend from california and he was saying that alot of the towns in the south are really hillbilly, people will beat u up for absolutly nothing!!il be goin on my own o im kinda worried will i get shot?? i dont want to offend anyone from the south ive never been there so i dont have opinion yet but my friend has put the shit up me!!!

6. Krsna Bhakti

You have much more of a chance getting shot in the north, by stray bullets, robbery, what have yous, then you do in the south :)

7. texasmade3

texasmade3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

dont believe everything you see on tv, or your friends... its nothing like that, you have just as good a chance of getting shot anywhere else.. just like i hate it when people think of texas as tumbleweed rolling across the ground and cowboys and bullshit.. which its nothing like that.. only in like very small parts way west. dont beleive everything you hear. the only time i went to alabama though i went to some gas station and some 7 foot woman with a beard and a deep voice rang me up. thats hte last time i stopped for a bathroom break goin to through that state lol! good luck

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

it was, back during civil rights and anti-vietnam war erra, when hippieness was just getting started. what its getting started was all about.

but that IS ancient history. in the late 70s and well into the early 80s, from what i gather, although this is a bit after the only time i was there, it got as mellow if not mellower then the rest of the country, at least for a time.

of course ever since raygun, EVERY place has been backsliding ever since.
    (to where we've ended up with where we are now with bush II and all that)
    but as pointed out, not really any one regeon more or notably less, then any other.

meh, everyplace you keep a low profile and psyche out where the locals are coming from before you say anything stupid, it's probably possible to at least survive and even connect with kindred spirits. (and i seriously doubt if there's any place it would ever be completely safe not to.)

=^^=
    .../\...

9. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

Idiots are everywhere. They are not exclusive to Alabama.

10. Pixieface

Pixieface Member

lol thisismike

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think he got it just about right too.

=^^=
    .../\...

12. lai pantha

lai pantha Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes, there are still racists in the south. But in reality not any more than any where else. Like any where it depends on the group of people you are around. Alabama has got a lot of great things to see. It all depends on your perception. I'm sure someone from the north would consider me a redneck, while others would say no way.

Just curious.. Are you going there to volunteer, work, or visit?

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I lived in Arkansas for a year and a half and spent all summer working landscaping in the most redneck of small towns.

It was an amazing experience. People are people, learn to love them all and understand them for their faults, instead of hating them for it. A person who hates rednecks and racists is no better than the rednecks and the racists themselves. I learned way too much from such people... learned to fish, hunt, survive in the wild, build roofs, drive a 4 wheeler, drink moonshine, make meth, drive through heavy woods, jump off cliffs, build a camp, cook a roast over a self made fire by the river, build a flat bottom boat, love unconditionally, and I especially leaned that I can get along with any person on earth, and not to judge people based on their belief or on their ignorance.

I believe that people are good. I believe in forgiveness. I believe in teaching through example. The deep south has beautiful people, just like the rest of the world...

Give them all a hug :)

14. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

if you believe you will see racists and hillbillies and people who want to harm you - then you will see those people

lose that perception and you'll just see people going about there daily lives. see the good in people and you'll be alright

i'll be down in Alabama for a wedding in a couple months - should be an experience.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a-men to what fitzy and bsr both said.

=^^=
    .../\...

16. Krsna Bhakti

Might even be the nicest, most truthful thing I ever read from Rubin. Ever :)

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Lay the accent on heavily--everyone here loves to hear Irish/Scottish/English accents.Just be aware of your surroundings--like anywhere.

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’d describe my few experiences in the deep-south in terms of a minefield, you’ve gotta watch where you step [​IMG]

With that said my real feeling regarding the deep south, those lousy nascar car driving, lynryd skynyrd listening, racist, inbred country fucks :mad:

Hotwater

19. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It's only because I know the words to Hare Krishna :D

20. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I am from California as well and we find the south more of a shock than people from other states just because it is so liberal and free here. interracial dating is the norm, no one looks twice.

The south is very different. I just kept my mouth shut when I was there. People's racisim all over the country, even outside of california amazes me. I was with a NE'lander who used the N word frequently and he consiered himself to be very liberal and open minded so I don't like going out of the pacific or southwest in general. Just like anywhere you just need to be smart about your surroundings.