The Death of a Gentleman

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Hudson0697, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Hudson0697

Hudson0697 Member

I will probably ruffle feathers with this one. I believe that the art of being a gentleman has changed. I still hold the door for ladies, speak politely, and make her feel loved, cherished and valued. I see men not practicing these on a daily basis. I remember growing up saying yes ma'am and yes sir. How have these values

Eric! likes this.
  2. angelica peaches

angelica peaches Member

I have tried to teach gentlemen manners to my sons. I don't know you,, but I can tell you that women do notice and appreciate when men do that kind of stuff.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

and then she comes to you, her "best friend," to complain when her boyfriend acts like an asshole. nothing new, it's been covered here a ton.

subshawn41 likes this.
  4. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

It's always appreciated. Also, friend zone is a load of bullshit. Keep being awesome.

5. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I opened the door for an elderly Lady a few months ago at a gas station.

She seemed shocked for a second, and then she said "thank you" to me.

C'mon guys, read a how to be a gentleman book.

:book:

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I always do this... Not necessarily just for women either. It's called being polite.

I remember once when I first went out to California and I opened and held a door for a "little old lady". She looked at me like I was going to attack her. Guess I didn't look the part and her level of trust was not up to where I had expected. I felt sorry for her, someone had done her some great wrong at some point. Maybe it was just media hype against longhairs, who knows. I smiled and wished her a pleasant day.

When I do it now I do notice people seem to be surprised by it but thank me in return.

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I won't have anything to do with anyone who is not a gentleman......

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it sure is. don't know why you would advise people into it though.

THANK YOU! i don't know what's up with wherever everyone on this site is, but around here it's perfectly normal for people to hold doors for each other, regardless of desire to get into someone's pants. it's so common, that i've never even seen someone act surprised about it, male or female. the really crazy part? more often than not, the person getting the door held for them will say "thank you."

9. nisei_girl

nisei_girl Member

I can't imagine being with any guy who isn't gentleman. I remember guys in high school who worked hard to have the nicest car, phone or whatever, many of them trying to get laid. If they had just been a gentleman, they would have met all the girls ever wanted. My bed is always open to a guy who is a gentleman and treats me like a lady.

10. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I think it is called being polite also. I always appreciate the gesture. Now that I am taking care of my Dad I am the one holding doors open for him and I think that is hard for him. although he is gracious about it. I also hold doors for elderly, handicapped and some overwhelmed Mom's etc.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What is so complicated about doors anyway that you need someone else to operate them for you?

12. Tyrsonswood

Some of those doors at restaurants and stores are quite heavy... Many older and frail people have a hard time opening them so a little help is just a good thing to do. As it's been said there is also just being polite...

Eric! likes this.
  13. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Sooo, people like goodies they are under no obligation to give back after all, huh?? I would have never guessed that.

14. Tyrsonswood

Then again.... There are some people that are so self absorbed you feel like letting the door slam in their face could be the best thing you can do for them.

I still don't let that happen, but there are times....

OnceAgain and Eric! like this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

When he says ladies, I somehow doubt the OP is talking about grannies

16. Tyrsonswood

And he probably wasn't talking about being polite... But the title of the thread uses the word Gentleman. That's what I'm responding to.

17. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

My Mum was a staunch feminist all her life,and kind of instilled the values in me that opening doors for women and stuff was patronising and belittling.I always noticed however that she always liked a man around to open tight jars and the like.It wasn't until I met Maya,who was my on/off companion for sixteen years,that I began to reassess my position.She would frequently berate me for not holding doors open for her,and not using deoderant etc.And so I learned.I now frequently defer to women,but sometimes with feminists you just can't win.

Bilby likes this.
  18. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

One time an elderly Woman got on an elevator that I was on and said "Fourth floor, Dr. Shapiro's office please."

She thought I was an elevator attendant, lol. I just smiled and pushed the button.

I was raised that way. And I'm happy that I was.

19. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I guess the feminist agenda has changed over the years.For example I'm sure my ex girlf would consider herself a feminist,but of a different variety than my Mother.

20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

those automatic doors at walmart can be pretty tricky. more often than not they are sitting open, so i start to walk toward them and they slam in my face, then eventually reopen after i stand there for a few seconds.