the Dead

Discussion in 'Music' started by Peace, May 8, 2004.

1. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

did you see my bus? it was cream colored?

2. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Ahh, the dead. *smiles* Jerry and the boys have soothed my soul, excited me, made me dance, made me cry, made me smile, and given me an endless amount of memories for about 10 years now. They are definitely under-rated. Their unique-ness alone sets them high above any other band out there. :)

3. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

Hey i just got this book from a second hand shop. it's called Skeleton Key, a dictionary for deadheads. Does anyone else hav this book? it's got some good stuff in it! i love reading the openers. Makes me feel sad that i live in australia and will likely never see the Dead myself. except for in my dreams of course :)

4. gonzo

gonzo Member

ya ya... was it the one with all the stickers on it, with the sweet smell of nag champa and herbage?

hehe lol

peace;)

5. crummyrummy

yup that was it!!!!!!!!

6. crummyrummy

7. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I TOTALLY AGREE PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I love The Dead..

I think they got shit on by a lot of people because

1) They had a "scene" that at times was bigger to the media eye than the music they played. They provided a lot of the sound track to the 60's counter culture and a lot of people associated every bit of 60's excess with the Dead.. And they didn't bother to so much as listen to a note of the music first...

2) They let you record everything they did. As with any band, you get good nights and bad nights. When the Dead were on, it was magic. When they were off... They were WAY off . A lot of people say they don't get the band.. All you gotta do is buy a few albums. There is a lot of great music to be found on those albums. My intro to the band was "Wake of the flood" and "Blues for allah". And the first time I played them, I wondered how I got along without them.

I love the Dead... Yup....

9. sprout

sprout DeadHead

The Grateful Dead should be praised for all the things they've done for music alone, not to mention the fact that they are all incredible artists. I have to say that I thought it was a little shady when they wanted to call themselves The Dead after Jerry died but after seeing them all come out together like that as a group after all those years, putting aside all the differances and bullshit and kicking ass no less was enough to bring me to tears and showed me that the family is still strong.

My first show was ATL 95' when I was only 15 but I didn't actually see them perform until about a week later in Birmingham and that was it, the bus came by and I got on.....

We jumped on summer tour that year in Highgate, VT and never looked back... Thank you Jerry!

God bless the good ol' Grateful Dead!

10. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Member

I LOVE friend of the devil..it wasn't the first grateful dead song i've heard but its the song that really made me get into them.

11. gratefuldeadhippy

gratefuldeadhippy Member

I LOVE cuz they cover all kinds of music they never get stall cuz no two songs sound alike. even one song can sound diff. cuz of the many live versons