The Dead 2005

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 17, 2005.

1. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

I think the loss of phish, and (possibly now although i hope not) of the dead as well will probably be a good thing for the scene in the long run, as much as we may miss them. There will no longer be this intense focus on a single band's tour, but rather a scene that branches out to every corner of the musical universe, creates a network to facilitate hippie-gypsy travelers bouncin across the country but has strong local scenes too.

Perhaps as somebody who only saw phish post-hiatus (one show on the first tour after hiatus and 2 on the phinal tour) and only saw the dead post-Jerry (4 shows on each of the last 2 summer tours), I may not be suffering the loss to the extent that some of you are, but that's just my perspective.

2. Zeppelingirl

Zeppelingirl Member

I saw them last year, first show at red rocks... man was that awesome!!!!!

3. urbangal

urbangal Member

I'll say this, nobody's sources or anyting are as serious as hearing from the horse's mouth. So when I hear it from the guys, that's when I'll believe it and no other way I'll be convinced other wise.

I do hope they tour-would be nice stuff for us who missed out

4. Shaman420

Shaman420 Herbalist

If the Dead tour then great I'll do 8 shows again like last summer, but whatever, the one kid who was posting all this bullshit about how kids need to lay off the molly and listen to the music is just a bitter old guy. What else can I say? I met Jerry when I was little kid back in '95 and my parents tell me how he played with me, was the kindest guy, and was completely down to earth and generally a positive person. We should take a lesson from that and try to be more positive about things. Warren I could do with out, thats just a personal opinion. He needs to get with one band (IMO Govt. Mule) and stick with them cause he's kinda a jamband slut he's every where which really isn't a bad thing, but I just don't think he's the right one for The Dead. I loooove the Phil and Friends right now, and would love to see them do a summer tour. But theres lots of great music out there right now every one should check out: string cheese incident, railroad earth, hot buttered rum string band, new monsoon, zilla, kyle hollingsworth, sound tribe sector 9 and so many more and they will all be touring this summer and they will blow your mind. Mickey Hart is playing with Particle in a new band called Hydra.. they're gunna be amazing! And I think no matter what the remaining members of the Dead do its worth seeing. They are all amazing musicians. Music is music, and because of that its special. Go out and try and see as much of it as you can. And I saw Jerry with the Dead (I can't really remember it, but my parents had me out at the Nassau Colliseum run in '94), and I met jerry in '95, so he definitely has a special place in my heart, but it doesn't change the fact that each member of the Grateful Dead, living and dead contributed something to their amazing music.

5. umphreysrules

umphreysrules Member

bring in KKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK i love the mule but if you want someone to play jerry leads than get the guy who showed jerry how to play his own shit again after he got out of the coma steve kimock besides jimmy h. who has been playin[​IMG] jerry leads almost as long as jerry himself (the jazz is dead rules!!!)but i agree i like warren with the mule(god bless woody)so a better fit for me would be stevie k

6. Shaman420

Shaman420 Herbalist

I loooove Steve Kimock! I heard him and Phil don't get along though.

7. Bonghobbit

Bonghobbit Member

It'd be great if they did, one of my dogs died that morning from cancer, major bummer, couldn't get up for going, so hopefully this year...

8. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

[​IMG] SHIT!!! I just tried to get some tickets to see Ratdog at the Vic in Chicago through Ticketmaster and they're all sold out!! That's what I get for puttin' it off......ARGH!! *slaps self upside the head*

Anywho....I REALLY hope The Dead do play this summer but if they are I think we'd have heard sumthin' by now. I took my kids with last year to see 'em and we all had a blast. Yeah, I've seen the Dead with and without Jerry (was at Jerry's last show here in Chicago) and of course I miss Jerry terribly but I still totally enjoy the shows that I've seen without him. I like to think he's there in spirit. And for another thing, all of you that have been sayin' the shows suck without Jerry are missin' sumthin' here. A Dead show isn't just about the music (although of course it's a HUGE part of it), it's the scene, man. I always feel like I've come home at a Dead concert. Like minded folks, a general feelin' of good vibes etc. Coincidently I'm listenin' to last years concert on CD right now and I'm lovin' it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

thats wonderful wonderful words... no joke..

and jerry IS there in spirit!!!!!!!

10. soulshine4

soulshine4 Member

if you think kids spun on crack, nitrous, and junk is a good scene then i think youre missing something, but i;m sure you wouldnt walk your kids down shakedown street...the last dead show i went to, i had to move away from the people smoking rock from a soda can right next to me. Bands do not take enough responsibility for allowing shit like that to go on with out saying something on stage like, dope killed Jerry and we dont want that shit on our lots. dead tour these days is crackdt out, and if you cant see that then open your eyes.

11. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

So... i couldnt find a response amongst all of this bickering... does anyone know of dead dates this summer? I havent heard anything yet, and im starting to get restless... i miss the music (it may not be the same, but its still amazing) and i miss the scene.

Arent the dates usually out around this time of year or is my sense of time that horrible?

12. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

im not sure man, but i sure hope they come to Illinois, like around chicago or alpine or somethin. that would just make my year! haha if anyone know anything about dates. please post them!!

13. dhs

dhs Senior Member

all I can say right now is that things don't look good for Summer 2005. It would be sad for them not to commerate 40 years together with at least a brief tour.

14. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

its highly likely that there wont be a summer tour...however ratdog has their spring tour under way and also they are playing at roo this summer...i wouldnt be surprised if phil or the dead have a fall tour...however im still really sad that the possiblities for a summer tour are slim..i really wanted to go on tour this summer...peace

15. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

You gotta remember Warren is off doing his thing too. Doesn't look good but Phil is doing a book signin tour in May =) I hoping for a fall tour.

16. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

why are people doubting a summer tour this year... just out of curiosity. is something up/going on that i missed? or is it just because theres no dates released yet?

17. dhs

dhs Senior Member

pretty much that's the reason why. Its just getting to that point. If nothing is announced by May 1, I think we can pretty much rule out a summer tour.

18. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

im getting depressed. i had all these big plans for the tour, people who were going to come with me to several shows... and now it may not even be happening.

19. Platinum_twf

Platinum_twf Member

lol...I didn't see this thread when I made my other one...I hope they do have a tour, I finally got a job so now I have the money to go, it will be my first dead show...

20. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

damn.. i really hope they go on tour at least once more... ive finally gotten into the grateful dead, and although the dead isnt grateful anymore, i'd still love to see em, exprience the scene, you know?