The Dead 2005

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Kit Cassidy

Kit Cassidy Member

how can you say that wayfaring? It makes me sad. They were awesome last year! Look at Dylan, he had some rough years but he's back at it. I saw him two summers ago with The Dead and he played like two songs and he looked like shit. Last summer with Willie he was so amazing. I say, as long as they can do it and be happy, they should do it. As a head it's hard not to be selfish, when I am not on tour I miss the scene terribly...but I always know that I will get to go again.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I would hope that if they do retire, they do a few more shows together to go out with. They can't just stop. Even phish had the dignity to tell their fans. What would it have been like if they just announce, "ok everyone by the way, that was our last show ever."

They've gotta play together again.

3. zendude

zendude Member

i hope you're right headymoechick. bobbie and mickey are both touring but i haven't seen anything about phil for this year but it's still early. my last show was at jones beach last summer for both nights and they were awesome. the dead are evolving now as they did at the beginning just at a faster pace since jerry left us. anybody going to 930 club for hydra 4-24?

4. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

lets all agree...

music is awesome.

5. peacelovebarefeet

lets all agree...

music is awesome.

and also, to the people doing the age factor shit, that is specially why i didnt put my age... because i knew you fools would use it against me which i dont believe is a valid argument

6. jono

jono Member

why do you have an almost famous picture, and a picture of the stoner from dazed and confused?

sublime is weak as shit

7. headymoechick

jono, if you feel like wasting energy to put down another's taste, do it somewhere else.

8. frankybarrellass

frankybarrellass Member

as much as I respect the dead and what not, their current act is a nostalgia act I feel like. The key to their type of music is improvisation, and exploring new directions with the music. They were great at this in their prime, with jerry, but now, it seems more like they just drone through the songs...I would compare the current dead to post hiatus ('99) phish.

9. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

but i love seeing the dead sooo much
    i still have amazing times at these shows...

10. peacelovebarefeet

um... because i like them??? lol

11. soulshine4

soulshine4 Member

The Naieveity of the responses here is so apparent, if youve never talked to an old head about how they feel now that Jerry is gone you wont understand. If you dont know anything about the dynamics of the members in bands you wont understand why The Dead is a cover band, a memorbilia act, a nostalgia act, and how theyre music sucks and is only getting worse.

12. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I beg to differ. I've been a fan for 20 years, saw my first show in 89'. My older brother for nearly 30 years, seeing his first show in 83. I saw them a good 25 times with Jerry, he nearly 100. We have many friends that have seen over 500 shows dating back to the Pigpen era and all of us don't go to see the Dead now for nostalgia - we go because we get the same anticipation we always did right before the show that the magic is still there. I can guarantee that the old man who is now hanging out playing in the great jam in the sky is smiling down and is happy that they are continuing on and continuing to evolve.

13. treekster

treekster Buddha Dawg

I agree with DHS...I've been going to Dead shows in all their incarnations since '86, and I get the same experience from TOO and The Dead as I did when they were Grateful. Admittedly, the music isn't as great as it was, but that is probably more a factor of the boys getting older than anything else. I think Warren really added to the dynamic last year, and I hope he joins them if they tour this year. I just wish they'd get some tour dates out already.

14. umphreysrules

umphreysrules Member

you know the boys will be out in full force this summer im sure they will do another 5 or 6 night stand at red rocks thats is always a must see shows for my summers red rocks rule!

15. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

im nervous for the fact that they havent mentioned anything on there website yet..usually they mention the tour and then have tour dates out later..ill be so sad if they dont tour because im really looking forward to having a grateful summer:)..peace and love

16. umphreysrules

umphreysrules Member

i hope they do something it is 40 years and all[​IMG]

17. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

On another elist that I'm on someone who is "close to the source" said that there will definitely not be a tour this year. There are no plans to tour again.

So sad.

Kathi Grateful Mama to Dakota Garcia

18. FunkyFractalBass420

FunkyFractalBass420 Member

You cant really bash The Dead for what they are doing. Sure it isnt The Same as with Jerry... But they are still breaking new ground with there songs and improvising maybe even more so than some of the days with the dead. And as for Phish i think it was the same thing, after 99 they came back and they wanted to try new things. They got bashed for it and that is why they broke up, they were nowhere near becoming a nostalgia act. They were still amazing and should have kept going in the direction that they were. AHHH I WANT PHISH TO COME BACK

19. FunkyFractalBass420

FunkyFractalBass420 Member

And oh yeah, personally I dont care if The Dead tour again this summer because i seen over 16 shows last summer. But since it looks like they are going to call it quits as a group they definatly should at least play a 3 night run somewhere or something they cant just go out like this. They should have played New Years and called it quits after that, That would have been the way to go out.

20. headymoechick

yeah, I was heartbroken they didn't play anywhere for new years