The Dead 2005

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 17, 2005.

1. yohonis

yohonis Member

Ill be at ratdog at the vic. or i think its at the chicago theater next to millenium park. idk thought ill be there.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I sure hope the Dead do something this year. I want to see them at Red Rocks just one more time before another member dies or they stop touring! Maybe if we all think really really hard about it, they release some tour dates....

3. dazed_confused817

dazed_confused817 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I went to a few shows this summer and didn't get any repeats. I love the Dead. and they definitely aren't a cover band. Dark Star Orchestra is and they're good. But the Dead is the Dead. I hope they tour. But if not i'll be at whatever shows they have (Ratdog, Phil & Friends, whatever)

4. Dead_Hed

Dead_Hed Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Warren Haynes is a perfect fit for "The Dead". He has amazing talent and can hit some of those "Jerry Tones" I love and miss. As someone said earlier he opens up another spectrum of music they can make, while still falling back to some of the old and grateful ways with ease.
    Being a Head forever, I never wanted a Jerry replacement, nor did the band, but since Jerry left us, I think Warren has been the best fit for the music they love to play & I don't think anyone who rips on Warrens talent knows how to appreciate the music they listen to.

P.S Since Govt. Mule is going to be at Bonnaroo, I doubt the Dead will be there, which kind of sucks but I will be there anyway.
    My prediction is Ratdog, and Phil n Friends are added to the Bonnaroo 2005 Lineup soon - (I just saw that Trey is doing a show at Bonnaroo 2005 now too... very cool)

5. FreshPhish

FreshPhish Member

I find it funny that 15-18 yr olds are saying what's up. Did any of you ever get the chance to see Jerry? I'm not saying that he MADE the Grateful Dead, but they're not Grateful w/o him. But seriously, Warren Haynes is a poor fit. He tries to overplay Weir (which I'd be all for, if he had any skill in the non cocaine-rock genre).
    As to the Phish comment, their musical skill far surpass(ed...?) any other act around, especially once you factor in their synergy. (Those guys were born to play together)
    Mickey wants a shit-ton of money to do another tour, his heart's not in it anymore. Billy hasn't looked like he's enjoyed himself since early 90's to me. Phil is still tearing it up - I'm hoping for P & F instead of "The Dead" too.
    All any of those guys care about anymore is money money money. Nobody cares about the scene, the kids, none of it. Get off the molly and clear your heads for a minute to learn about what's going on in the music scene right now.

6. headymoechick

jeez, negative vibes, man.

7. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Really I don't like the people that say well it's not the same with Jerry. No offense to Jerry but half of the time he didn't really want to perform... Phil even said in an interview that the dead is being more creative then ever right now. Of course it's not going to be the same, the world has changed. Hmm and if the dead were so all about money then, why do they keep doing it? They got plenty of money. They don't have to keep touring. They love what they are doing.

8. Kopo

Kopo Member

yeah thoes guys were born to play together, except for Trey's overbearing arrogance

I find it funny you disregard us because we're teens....shows some of you're arrogance because we certainly do know "whats up"

yes you're sending off plenty of negative vibes

I'd ask you not to go to any of The Dead's concerts, because you're definantley not worthy.

You're saying that their heart's aren't int he music anymore? Jerry's heart if i may reminde you fell out of the music when his addiction to Heroin begain and the drug became more important than the band, the music, the friendships, and his life.

I'll say no more to you, for i have a feeling you'll just say "oh he's 16 he must not be able to tell his left from his right, his up from his down, nor his head from his ass..."

Ignorant.

9. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

yeah not all of us have been aroung long enough to see jerry......and the dead right now are the closest thing we got, they may not be the grateful dead but they're still pretty fucking amaising compaired to every other tour right now....

I bet people said the same stuff when pig pen died...but the music went on and right now we have the dead and I love 'em

10. purpleprincess

purpleprincess Member

So do I, but right now, I'm broke! Heh, gotta save some dough. But I don't mind this year, although that would be fantastic. I'd rather go with my ride all together, marrily enjoying the fullest of fulls.:)

11. hippytrip

hippytrip Member

Well i never seen the dead with jerry but i seen the dead without jerry about 10 or 15 times and I have to say the music is still fuckin great.the music will always go on

12. GoldenRd

GoldenRd Member

Freshphish,

While I agree w/ you that the Dead are not the same w/o Jerry, thats why they now call themselves the Dead as opposed to the Grateful Dead. The name change was a nod to this fact. As someone w/ 200+ Grateful Dead (w/ Jerry) under my proverbial belt, I would be lying if I said I don't miss Jerry, but unfortunatly for him and us, he didn't take very good care of himself and is no longer alive to play. So as I see it, we can all sit around and sulk, for the remainder of our days or enjoy the "grate" music the rest of the boys are still capable of putting out. It makes no sense to deprive yourself of what is left of a really fantastic scene b/c Jerry isn't there, as "nothings going to bring him back". If Jerry were still alive and the rest of the band kicked him out, (and you really wanted him invited back) than maybe boycotting the shows would make sense. But as I see it, not going, given the current reality, is "just cutting of your nose to spite your face." Those of us priviliged to have seen this band in any of its incarnations are extremely fortunate. None of us are getting any younger, and sadly all of the Grateful Dead will eventually pass on. I can assure you when the "last leaf falls" and your jonesin' for a show, you'll wish you'd kept going, even sans Jerry.

13. sdelic

sdelic Member

I find it funny too how there are two factions of deadheads. Those who are jerry freaks and those who are dead freaks. The Jerry freaks have a hard time remembering that the dead were in existance for 8+ years with pigpen as the leader of the band, not Jerry. Jerry stepped up and took the reigns once pig could no longer tour but if you look at any early dead film footage and the stage configuration Pig is without a doubt the man in the cockpit.

I think the dead is a musical collective movement and with that said it's awesome they are pushing forward. I'm sad that Jerry is no longer with us but lets face facts. For the last 5-6 years he was alive he looked like shit and was for most of the time lackluster. I have some late 80's and early 90's film footage of him and it's really painful to watch. So while Jerry at one time was a huge part of the dead for the last 5-6 years of the dead's existance he was in no condition to lead anything. IMO.

As Bob Weir said in an interview about those who don't like what they're doing now "those folks are just cranks and they can go stick it if they don't like it."

14. Kopo

Kopo Member

I love Bob Weir....serious man-crush on that guy.

15. stoney

stoney Member

rat dog is coming to miwaukee march 31st, anyone in or alround madison going, could use a ride and looking for a mircle to get in

16. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

It's not right to bash Warren Haynes, he is one of the best guitarists in the world. I don't know why someone also called his style of playing "cocaine rock." I'd rather be on some lsd listening to him tear it up with some funky wah.
    ;-) Also, I don't think one person 'makes' a band. Someone suggested Morrison made the doors. Jim Morrison didn't make the doors, he would have just been a good poet with a crappy voice without the band.

17. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

18. Kit Cassidy

Kit Cassidy Member

Let's pray for tour 2005.

[​IMG]

19. headymoechick

One of my older buddies ( a long time deadhead ) said there will be no Dead summer tour. Don't quote ME on this, but he's never been wrong. He even knew about Bobby getting exhausted before they cancelled the tour. I don't know how. He won't reveal his sources.

Let's just pray he's wrong.

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i seen the dead at least once every year in all thier various incarnations. i think its finally time for them to retire with some dignity. if they tour this year its just gonna be a mess, the sound and singing will be awful and the scene will be scarey. i used to get excited every year for them and support what they were doing, and i was real excited when jimmy herring joined the band, but him and bobby dont click. i would pay money to see DSO long before id pay to see the dead anymore.