The Dead 2005

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

are they touring anytime soon?

2. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I haven't heard anything yet, but check out Ratdog on April 1st at the Vic :)

3. beatlerific

beatlerific not like other girls

i sure hope soooooo :)

4. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

They better do a tour since its the 40th anniversary.

5. MilTownTripper

MilTownTripper Member

No word as of yet but I would bet money that they will tour this summer since it'll be their 40th anniversary. I'd elso expect a slightly different lineup but it's all speculation at this point. But as was mentioned above, check out Ratdog. I'll be at the Milwaukee show.

6. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

Ive never heard Ratdog.. but i might go to the show

7. FreshPhish

FreshPhish Member

::jaw drops:: I'm sorry, did you say 40? I think you meant to say 10. There's a good Grateful Dead cover band called "The Dead" that's playing now, and come to think of it, it was different incarnations for a couple of years, Planet Drum, Phil and Friends, etc. Let's not forget that Jerry made them Grateful.

As far as a tour goes, I know I'm not going, especially if Warren Haynes is playing with them again. He's a poor fit. Also, their set lists from the 6 shows I saw this summer (Bonnaroo, SLC, Boise, Portland, Gorge, Atl) all looked remarkably the same, and I think they ended 1st set w/ Casey Jones at least half of those shows. I need some variety, it makes me sad to see such great musicians in a husk of a band that will never again be Grateful. (Unless we find a way to resurrect Jerry, and he wants to come back). Wow, that'd be great. -sigh-

8. FreshPhish

FreshPhish Member

I'd also like to note that I think there are bunches of gorgeous women on these forums.

9. phriendlyphishphan

phriendlyphishphan Member

i wanna see the dead!!!

10. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i think warren was a great fit. if you could name a better one, i'd like to hear it. i also think that the dead put on great shows this summer, but that is my own personal opinion. I love and miss jerry too, but that is no reason to say that the Dead is not worth seeing, all the other members are still great musicians.

11. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

and to the original poster of this thread, definitely go to the Ratdog show at the Vic, its the day before my birthday and its gonna be awesome.

12. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

its horrible that jerrys gone and we all miss him but that doesnt mean we ditch the other amazing members of the dead. Even though jerry was a large part of the band he wasent the entire thing..it wasent like morrison with the doors...its different..and i bet if jerry can talk to us right now he would tell bob, phil, mickey, bill and the rest to keep on truckin :) Keep the music and kind vibes alive:) the band is ever evolving and i will love and support them till the end:) Peace and love

13. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

That might just be a coincidence about those setlists, i did 4 shows in a row last summer seeing only maybe 3 repeats and didn't hear casey jones once...whatever. If they do the PNC>Jones Beach run again i'll probably be at all 4 although I'm not sure how many i'll be able to afford tickets to. I had a blast last year camping out in cheesequake state park after the PNC shows then coming back to my hometown of long island for the crazy psychedelic beach party that's been goin down for the last 3 years (at least I've been going for 3 years: phil and friends in 2002 and "the dead" in '03 and '04, maybe it's been more) while I admittedly haven't been to all that many venues, Jones Beach Amiptheatre reamins my favorite.

Maybe their absence from bonnaroo means they will headline a smaller camping festival somewhere else? that would be nice....

14. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

hmm on the rumormill on Philzone, they are saying that they aren't going to have a summer tour.... I hope Phil and Friends does a tour instead. I don't like the new keyboardist for the dead, and Warren is okay, but I wish they would bring back Joan and Rob (the old Keyboardist). I'm going to see Ratdog in April, and hope for a Phil and Friends summer tour!!!

15. Kopo

Kopo Member

Theres this huge Split faction between people who love the dead (muself) and thoes that think Jerrymade the band

YEs Jerry Garcia Was an amazing god of the music, and he was absolutely phanominal BUT he did NOT make the band, Phil LEsh, Bob Weir their various drummers(bill and micky, pigpen), all of them made the band, THE BAND MADE THE BAND....Jerry Garcia was just a large part of it, and it is awefully sad that he his gone, but, should we let joy and music die with him? no...remember the dead have already dedicated all of their concerts to Jerry and Warren Haynes is a perfect fit, the music is awesome still....and yes it is The GratefulDead's 40th anni....so the second phase of the Grateful Dead, The Dead, will likely do a special tour due to this!

I wish that the Dead heads out there would realize that Jerry Garcia would preverbially smack them if he saw them refusing to go to a Dead concert becasue he wasn't part of it....

I know for one I'll be at Red Rocks come June, Dancing my face off

16. Kopo

Kopo Member

oh yeah, and The new Keyboardist is AMAZING

and warren haynes in general is just purely Amazing

too bad so many of you are blinded to this.....

17. FloydFollower5

FloydFollower5 Member

wait you called TheDEad a cover Band?!?!?!?! um....no
    Yes U r Right in that after Jerry's Death They were no longer the GratefulDead, however Bob,and,Mickeyand,and,Phil (with Warren Haze or however u spell it) Are Still the Bulk of the Grateful Dead (a cover band would be me and my freinds playing G.D. songs.
    The DEaD and the GrateFulDead (-) Jerry, Pigpen etc. They are not a "cover Band"
    Anyway I toured Wave that Flag tour and let me tell all of you negative thinkers out there: NO BAND (thats touring currently) IS MORE EPIC, OR REVERED AS THE DEAD.

18. Kopo

Kopo Member

Are you kidding? They had tons of variety, and sure they ended two maybe three of their gig's first sets with Casey Jones, and if your going to let that effect how you think of them, you're a moron.

But I'm going to assume you're a learned person, your writing is very good, better than mine.

but regardless, you're ignorant in this case.

yeah FreshPhish, I'm sorry but you're one of the ignorant folks that don't truley respect the music, Sorry to be negative and not respect your opinon, but yes you are ignorant

But i suppose I'm glad you're not going to any of the concerts, taking up tickets for thoes who appreciate and revire the memory of the Grateful Dead, and it's continuing divinity, reborn as "The Dead"

19. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

The dead a cover band??? no. Oh wait your a phish head.... The Dead is still doing what they are great at. Making beautiful music. Some of the stuff they are doing now sounds alot better then when Jerry was around. Some of the songs I liked Jerry better doing it, but some songs they are doing now are wow! Plus now they are pulling out so many songs they didn't really ever do when Jerrry was alive. Mixing up more which is making it even better.

20. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

ill definitely still see the dead (or phil and friends) over the summer no matter what.
    dark star orchestra is the amazing dead cover band. i really love catching them eveyonce in a while in my hometown. definitely worth a see.
    but the dead is no cover band. it brings many of the same people the grateful dead had. dead concerts are definitely unique and beautiful.
    peace and love, hope to see many of you kynd people at the shows!