The Day After Tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by kayatree, Jun 2, 2004.

1. kayatree

kayatree Member

Did anyone else see this movie yet?
    I'm sorry, but *excuse me while i vomit* I thought it was a fucking joke.
    The movie was stereotypical, dramatic, over-acted, less than adequate, and practically drove me out the theater laughing because I was actually roped into seeing a movie that was being supported by environmental organizations, only to find out that the real hook involves a few bad actors and actresses trying to explain global warming to me as if I were a five year old.
    It's nothing more than a typical hollywood, special effects 'n "pretty people" movie. I thought it was lame.

kayatree

2. Bassplayerjojo

Bassplayerjojo Member

I'd have to agree that it was overall crappy, however there is something very cool about seeing CA get trashed by tornadoes.

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Hey to start off it is great to see you on here.I have allways thought highly of your posts in the past.As i do now.I have only realy seen clips and what i seen i agree with you.But with movies like this i do think it might be a wake up call to the masses.I think that when people drive there in there fosil burning cars to see the movie they will leave or so i would hope with more thought on little things they can start doing to help in the enviroment.Now i am sure there is some who went to just see the gore.I hope that amount is small.There has been movies in the past that have shown how when we do are part how life can be better for all.One such movie shown how people who lived in one area of NY came to gether and helped clean up there streets and started programs in there area to recycle
    and come together as a whole.Movies like that have played a great role in opening the minds of people who would have never gave much thought to it.
    I hope personaly that there is an out come from this from people seeing the movie that will start changes in peoples lives for the better on how they can start doing there part to help this planet.I guess i am looking for a more positive outcome.

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

... And all because we didn't eat dolphin safe tuna.

I didn't see that movie till last night, and it was probably the worst movie I've seen this year. It was okay when there were all the huricanes and blizzards, but where it really went array was when it tried the human interest thing, and failed. I think Dawn Of The Dead is more likely to cause a rational dialogue about zombies then this movie would be to make us address REAL ecological problems. Anyone notice the VP looks like cheney?

Watchin' the Daily Show and Jon Stewart said "you know, its sad when Shrek 2 is more belivable then the movie about global warming." ;)

5. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

Oh come on guys it was THAT bad was it? Don't get me wrong I am no fan overly-dramatized hollywood crap, but at least it had some groovy special effects. Sure it was compeltely unrealistic as a whole but I just wanted to see a tremendous tidal wave wash over NYC. That looked pretty damn sweet!

I also thought it raised at least two interesting points... we assume that whatever we are doing to our environment may take hundreds of years to destroy our modern world, but we don't know that. It could flip on us in a minute. Reminds me of a SCI song...
    The other good point I think is that we are as hard to kill as cockroaches. No matter how bad we screw up this planet it seems that there will still be a bunch of monkeys to screw it up again...

6. OSF

OSF SeƱor ******

HEY PEOPLE IT WAS A MOVIE, NOT A GOD DAMNED GREENPEACE INFO-VID!

y'all really funny.

heh heh heh.

7. StarStained

StarStained Member

I actually thought it was pretty good. Yes, it was overly Hollywoodized, but the people that I think they were trying to reach were the ones who would react to over-Hollywoodized stuff. And consider that the facts presented in the movie are all actually things that could happen, with the exception of multiple tornadoes in one area, just not in the time span shown in the film. Personally, I was scared shitless by the movie (which I think was the goal) and it has inspired me to ride my bike almost everywhere I go now. Instead of bashing this movie, we should be encouraging it because it is supporting a cause that many of us (I'm assuming you as well) support. It may not be Oscar material, but at least it's getting the word out about a very very critical issue.

~Madeline

8. StarStained

StarStained Member

And about it not being believable...

The makers of the movie consulted almost every climatologist and scientist in this type of field and got as many facts as they possibly could. Now, granted there were a few false disasters, but the majority of them were true to science.
    ~Madeline

9. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

O_O I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Granted, it wasn't the most meaningful creation of all time, but it was certianly entertaining. While a global-warming induced ice age obviously would never happen as fast as it did in the movie, the ice age itself is theoretically possible.

10. The Silky Way

The Silky Way Banned

I thought it was good too. I don't know what the environmentalists were expecting, but I think if anything it made people think about what we are doing to our planet. Personally it made me realize how powerful our planet is. I mean the weather is something that we cannot control and is the most powerful force ever created. It kind of makes you wonder how long it will be before the planet won't take anymore of our bullshit and flushes us all down the big toilet.

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Lets hope it happens before Dennis Quaid makes another movie :rolleyes:

Heh, Actually I like 'em, but he didn't save this work of crap... Its one saving grace was I didn't pay to see it, and if I had I might as well throw my wallet in the road and play chicken to get it back. And Turtlefriend, global warming triggering an ice age in a week is about as 'possible' as Dick Cheney breaking the ribbon at earth day 2005.

12. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i thought it was a good movie...but my friends hated it

13. StarStained

StarStained Member

Most people don't believe it, which is why most scientists are beginning to call it "global climate change". These changes include everything from floods in coastal places because of the melting of the ice caps, to droughts in other places. As I said before, the people who made the movie discussed with many climatologists before making the movie. And I'm sorry, but I think they may know more than you.
    I didn't mean that nearly as harshly as it sounded. But you're right about the part how it wouldn't happen in a week.
    ~Madeline

14. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

I was listening to this radio show called "Coast To Coast Am" and that nights topic was about global warming.The guest was some kind of scientist and he was talkin about whats gonna happen/is happeing to this planet and how rapidly it's changing.They were also taking phone calls and this guy called in and said while on plane trip somewhere(I forgot where he said but they flew over antartica or somethin) he was saying that the sturodists(sp?) recommended not to look out the windows for some reason.But this guy did and some how he found a open patch where there were no clouds,and he said all that ice down there was cracked!!!You can see the big lines(cracks) for miles!!!

Yet another thing the gov. won't tell us about.

15. StarStained

StarStained Member

Well, of course they won't tell us! It may cause us to actually do something to stop it which may in turn cause bad things for the oil companies and if they oil companies ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I mean, money is the most important thing, right? Or was that another lie they told us?

That's absolutely maddening about the cracks in the ice. What's more maddening is that people still think global warming is fake or "liberal propaganda". (I've actually heard that one, believe it or not) Well, France has banned SUV's so that's a step.
    ~Madeline