the day after tomorrow

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Megara, May 31, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

did anyone else see this monstrosity? I dont know if i fear global warming or these super wolves that are being bred in new york city zoos more. I thought the movie was pretty pathetic and did more harm than good. People are going to hear the words of al gore say "this is not far off from the truth" and then watch the movie and go yeah right.

2. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

im all about I'Robot in august,

its definately not true to the Asimovian robot stories but it make for a great action flick.

3. joe

joe Banned

I seen it, just another normal hollywood disaster movie

Everything happend to damn fast, its more of a futuristic fantasy
    It was a bore to me, but it was worth it watching the twisters tear up downtown LA, I wouldnt mind that a bit.
    Kinda left me laughing at the mass immigration of americans into mexico

4. TheJesusDude

TheJesusDude Member

i liked it for what it was, a fantasy story.
    sure it was completly unrealistic and unlikley to happen but it WAS a good story and i think if you view it as complete fantasy you will enjoy it more

5. sweet_mama

sweet_mama Member

I must admit that the special effects in the trailors have drawn me in, but I have heard that the acting and the script are horrible. Is this true? Is this something that I should wait until it's on DVD to see?

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Joe said it.

I saw it today, and I feel it was overdone - it relied too much on special effects with no real substance. It was just too artificial, high-budget, and Hollywood-like for my tastes. The acting wasn't very good, either. This seemed more like a made-for-TV movie than anything else.

However, the events occuring within this movie could easily become a reality one of these days, despite what the naysayers might say.

This movie is based loosely on the book The Coming Global Superstorm, by Whitley Strieber and Art Bell: a must-read for anyone interested in this subject.

7. Megara

Megara Banned

*shakes his head*

there will be super storms that bring cold air from the highest part of atmosphere down to earth within 10 seconds and freeze everything instantly?

Super wolves will go around attacking us?

There is more valdity in the wolves than anything portrayed...except that the temperature in the world is going to change..thats about the only truthful thing in the movie.

is there any scientific evidence for ANYTHING in the movie except that the temperature is going to change?

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Well, yes, it is very over-exaggerated. But it's a movie, that's how movies sell. The thing about the wolves was very far-fetched, and was just thrown in for kicks and general appeal. But the weather changes seen within the move are likely to happen eventually - whether 5 years from now or 500 - whether they are as extreme as what is presented in the movie or not.

The movie is very far-fetched, but it isn't completely fictional either. I would say it's about 50% fact/50% fiction. I don't think a movie would sell if it was based on 100% fact, because people love sensationalism.

9. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

Personally I thought it was a good film, fair enough the plot was a bit loose but it appealed to me on a different level than that. The portrayal of America in the film was brilliant, they were the superpower who deserved to get hit by the worst disaster to face mankind etc. The part about not being allowed into Mexico until they cleared third world debt was a great shot across the bow of the American government, as was the constant digging at Americas foreign and environmental policy. Other than that it's always nice to see the bully of the world get smacked about a bit on the big screen! Not that I have anything against the American people, it's just the government over there that winds me up...

10. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Hmmm I haven't seen the movie yet, but from reading what everyone else has to say about it, I think I'm going to spend my money on Mean Girls.

11. Cadenceflower

Cadenceflower Member

I didnt hate this movie, it was what it was and should be taken at face value. The acting wasn't all too great neither was the stories but it was good enough to keep me entetained for an hour

12. peacegypsy

peacegypsy Member

I have to agree with pressed rat on this one! I also think that the movie maybe can help some people think about what they are doing to the world. maybe someone who watches it will realize they should start recycling and taking better care of mother earth!

13. Rainbow Tears

Rainbow Tears Member

Its worh renting but I wouldn't make a special trip to the movies to see it... It was kinda dull-- Some cool effects.. but thats about it.

14. sadeyedlady

sadeyedlady Member

i loved this movie! i saw it last night.

the first things I said was, "Even if this were to happen, I wouldn't be around, so why should I care? Let's profit as much as we can from the earth and let our children's children deal with it. Nothing comes between me and my money."

Just kidding. I liked the movie, and Dennis Quaid's facial expressions were priceless.

I also thought Jake Gyllenhaal was hot. If I were the girl, I'd pick the rich kid, though. Genuinely nice and tortured because his parents don't love him. Tortured souls are always sexy.

But we laughed at how the fire didn't go out although the temperature dropped so much.

15. Muzz

Muzz Member

I laughed at how the somehow below absolute zero cold was nearly stopped by a pair of thick wooden doors.

16. kayatree

kayatree Member

I'm sorry, but *excuse me while i vomit* I thought it was a fucking joke.
    The movie was stereotypical, dramatic, over-acted, less than adequate, and practically drove me out the theater laughing because I was actually roped into seeing a movie that was being supported by environmental organizations, only to find out that the real hook involves a few bad actors and actresses trying to explain global warming to me as if I were a five year old.

It's nothing more than a typical hollywood, special effects 'n "pretty people" movie. I thought it was lame.

kayatree

17. Style

Style Member

Im not really over analytical of movies, so for me it was a fun ride. It may not have been the best movie released this year, but it wasnt so bad that I wanted a refund or anything.

It relied heavily on the cgi, but at least technology has progressed enough for them to make some nice effects.

18. antithesis

antithesis Hello

The actual story kept me laughing for a long time. It was just so incredibly cliche. Just one cliche after another. But I found it very entertaining.

It does freak me out that something similiar to this could actually happen. But I won't deny that I kind of enjoyed seeing LA being destroyed.

Seriously though, the wolves.... what the hell were they thinking!?! They looked so friggin' ridiculous. And when the one threw himself against the hero? Come on... no animal would act like that. And they looked so lame.

19. didge

didge Member

i thought twas great the way america let mexico drop the dept and they all winded up bein refugees in mexico..

eheh.

and it pissed me off the way ireland never even had a chance at survivin!!

ahah!

i thought twas pretty good, the effects wer great!

20. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

I thought the movie footage was interesting. And.. that's all. Oh, and Jake Gyllenhal is really foxy. Oh, I'm such a teenager sometimes.