The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Books' started by osiris, May 8, 2004.

1. osiris

osiris Senior Member

I am so glad that Stephen King did not perish before writing the ending. Now i just have to hope live to read it!

only two more months... two more months... two more months...

*drools*

much love :)
    resident tower junkie

2. attackmole

attackmole Member

I love the dark tower series also. So pissed off that the fifth one is so expensive though, so i havent bought it yet. Really need to get around to it.

3. osiris

osiris Senior Member

don't blam King for the prices of his books. he locked himself into contracts with the publishers, and they are the one's that charge so much. he would probably give it away if he could. he's tried to do that before with stuff on the net, and the publishers got all up in his ass. just saving himself a headache not arguing with them. it's cool that he made them bump the dates of the last two up though... i didn't wanna wait till the end of the year.

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Oh my god! The fifth ones out?! I thought it didnt come out till november?! What happened to the Seventh one?! THE TOWER MY GOD THE TOWER!
    [Edit] Just went on Amazon.... Must have.... Need.... Tower.... Must have.... Fix.... Fix........... God help me I never want it to end... Its gonna be like crashing off some kind of fantastic drug.... crashing hard and long. MY GOD! Every story will eclipse in comparison! I've ruined my life damnit! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    .........but still...... fix..... fix.... fix........... fix........... fix........fix......fix

5. osiris

osiris Senior Member

# 5 has been out since last november, number six is next month and number seven the month after, i think. we will finally see who makes it to the tower, who doesn't and just what the fuck the tower actually is! i started reading this series when i was 12 years old! i'm 25 now! imagine how I feel! *shudders with delight*

6. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Has anyone been to http://www.thedarktower.net/? They have a lot of interesting stuff on that site. I can't wait to read the next books - the library is my favorite place until paperback time. :p

7. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

You know, I've read alot of negative comments about Stephan King's work in the old forums and I just don't get it. I think people who slam him just haven't read some his better stuff. The Dark Tower series is so good. I love these books.

8. osiris

osiris Senior Member

i think people who knock king are generally those types more interested in reading "technically accurate" prose or those who shun the horror and fantasy genres, you know? His main strength, and the most important aspect of any novelist, is that he is a great storyteller.

9. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I read The Gunslinger a little while back, and I really want to read the rest of the series.

10. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

I totally agree with you - to hell with the snobby critics of his writing, I want to read a good story that will pull me in and keep me entertained and make me want more! Which he certainly does especially with this series. Plus he really accomplishes it with his shorter stuff, too. The man is a wonderful storyteller.

11. osiris

osiris Senior Member

and it is all the greatest writers that break the rules of technicality. those who must lean on those things as opposed to using them as an amorphous foundation tend to be kind of boring and seem somewhat insincere. conveying emotion is the most important aspect of any artform. and with fiction the ability to do it while weaving together a captivating narrative is a marvel. king certainly accomplishes this.

12. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I think another problem people have with King as that no one is safe. I haven't read any other books where small children you get attached to die. I wont mention books for those who havent read works but those who have know what I'm talking about. In a King novel ANYTHING is possible. I think he can write fantasy and horror with such a degree of realism that it makes it all believable. God I'm turning into a King junkie. I just got Wolves of the Calla.... Im not sleeping tonight lol

13. Eruna

Eruna Member

I'm almost done with the third one, and i wasnt a big king fan untill i read this series. i love the gunslinger! and the more king writes, the better the story gets. i dont know anyone to talk to about the tower with, damned okies...lol

14. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

I'm hoping to get #6& 7 for christmas..Roland is THE MAN!!!!!lol..anyone who likes the dark tower series should also check out "hearts in atlantis"(the movie sux btw) nd "ht e talisman"& "black house"both co-written with Peter Straub..many references to what is really going down in the dark tower series..glad to see I'm not the only one jonesin here lol

15. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

whoa..just noticed osirus..your in to Acid Bath too?ROck On !!!!!!!!