The cost of Brexit

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yawn

Yes, not bother with a Non argument introduced about a policy advisor that may have little to do with implementing policy

It's not changing the subject if I refused to gauge in Vlad's Non argument in the first place

And you clearly want to avoid what's happening in Greece at the moment, because that's obviously embarrassing

This is how an EU members coast guard handles refugees trying to cross over from Turkey

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL in VG speak that means he doesn’t have any counter arguments so he shouts LOOK OVER HERE at these migrants, see the migrants, oh many migrants, Brexit is good, Brexit was good to do, look lots of migrants, wasn’t Brexit a good idea

I mean this is the con - no leaver has been able to defend Brexit in any rational way and the direction of travel at the moment doesn’t look good.

VG has nothing constructive or of substance to contribute as the country gets closer to the crunch point where fantasy comes up against reality and the unicorn falls into the meat grinder

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    SuzanneAU1977 likes this.
  3. This.

Hence the reason why i'm staying back and choosing to read everything first so i learn about it.
    No need for me to be a smartarse and piss off the staff who know a shitload more than what i do.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It's a non argument, who cares what a policy advisor thinks if it doesn't end up influencing policy.

Do either have anything more substantial to talk about in terms of "The cost of brexit"

5. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

VG - doesn't the job title POLICY ADVISOR mean anything to you - Richard Cranium !!!

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Thing is how did things go from fishing and farming will boom with a Brexit to the implication that they are not worth keeping or supporting?

I mean when remainers warned that fishing and farming were under threat from a Brexit the leavers called it Project Fear now that the death of fishing and farming is been discussed in the neoliberal Brexit government and which is completely consistent with neoliberal thinking then suddenly it is all changes to move along nothing to see.

Just saying its funny how things change

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I like your new avatar, cat is a cutie, he/she does look like a little Panther

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I just told you what it means, it means nothing if he doesnt end up influencing policy

9. Vladimir Illich

There's no accounting for idiocy is there - Richard Cranium !!!

10. Vladimir Illich

So much for 'a land of Milk & Honey ' promised to us by the Brexiteers post brexit !!!

Post-Brexit UK-US trade deal could boost economy by 0.16%, Government predicts

PA
    Mar 2nd 2020 7:29AM
    A post-Brexit trade deal with the US is estimated as having the potential to grow the UK economy by 0.16%, according to the Government's negotiating objectives.

The £3.4 billion yearly increase outlined in the document published on Monday was predicted under the best-case scenario where the UK eliminates import tariffs with the States.

But if only "substantial tariff liberalisation" is achieved, then the increase estimated in 15 years was put at 0.07%, or £1.6 billion, in the Governments' preliminary assessment.

Critics pointed towards estimates of a potentially larger hit to the economy caused by Brexit.

The best scenario was where a "deeper trade agreement" with "full tariff liberalisation" and a 50% reduction in non-tariff measures is struck.

Under this, real wages for workers were expected by the Department for International Trade (DIT) to increase by 0.2%, or £1.8 billion.

The scenario predicting a smaller boost to the economy was based on a 25% reduction of non-tariff measures and a "substantial tariff liberalisation".

So now you admit the potential economic benefits of a UK-US trade deal are just +0.2% of GDP.

And the cost of Brexit is somewhere between -7.6% and -4.9% of GDP.

In what planet does this boost wages or create jobs for anyone except the Tory Cabinet? Liz Truss on Twitter

— David Lammy (@DavidLammy) March 2, 2020

Labour MP David Lammy, a vocal Remain voice in the party, said: "So now you admit the potential economic benefits of a UK-US trade deal are just +0.2% of GDP.

And the cost of Brexit is somewhere between -7.6% and -4.9% of GDP.

"In what planet does this boost wages or create jobs for anyone except the Tory Cabinet?"

The UK spelled out in the 184-page document that the NHS will not be on the table during free trade agreement (FTA) talks with Washington.

Ministers were also committing to "ensure high standards" and protections were maintained for consumers and workers, while "not compromising" on environmental, animal welfare and food standards.

Here are objectives and analysis for trade deal :

£15.3bn trade increase, benefitting Scotland, Midlands & NE most Focus on ✂ red tape for SMEs Advanced digi & data deal We will strike hard bargain & walk away if we need toThe UK's approach to trade negotiations with the US

— Liz Truss (@trussliz) March 2, 2020

UK negotiators would work to ensure that measures are in place to prevent hikes in medicine prices for the NHS, as the Government said the service "will not be on the table".

"The NHS is not, and never will be, for sale to the private sector, whether overseas or domestic," the document said.

The Government acknowledged public concerns about US meat, particularly chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-fed beef.

"Throughout the agreement, ensure high standards and protections for UK consumers and workers and build on our existing international obligations," the document said.

"This will include not compromising on our high environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards."

Trade Secretary Liz Truss maintained a tough stance ahead of the negotiations, warning the UK will "strike (a) hard bargain" and is prepared to "walk away if we need to".

Woody Johnson, the US ambassador to the UK, welcomed the publication, adding: "Lots of work to do – let's get started."

We welcome the news that the UK Government has released their negotiating objectives for a - free trade agreement. Lots of work to do – let's get started! #SharedProsperityDepartment for International Trade on Twitter

— Ambassador Johnson (@USAmbUK) March 2, 2020

Prime Minister Boris Johnson had pledged to "drive a hard bargain to boost British industry" in the talks, which will take place alongside negotiations with the EU.

Talks in Brussels were to get under way on Monday, when the PM's Europe adviser David Frost was to meet the team led by EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier.

Downing Street had been urged by trade union leaders not to "cosy up" to US President Donald Trump during the talks, with the PM being urged to block any US manoeuvring to lower food standards.

Ministers have repeatedly faced demands to rule out chlorinated chicken and hormone-treated beef being imported from the US in any deal, with animal welfare and environmental concerns raised.

Crawford Falconer, the Department for International Trade's chief trade negotiation adviser, will oversee talks with Washington on the UK side.

Negotiating rounds will alternate between the UK and US.

11. NaturistJames

NaturistJames Members

Fook me, are the remoaners still moaning... Apart from the corona virus, life seems exactly the same after Brexit, no better yet, and no worse so stop going on about it, it's boring

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

James

Fucking hell how ignorant are you of what’s going on?

We are in the transition period meaning nothing has drastically changed that’s why is seem like nothing has changed.

Did you honestly not know that?

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Please take note

I’d have to remind everyone that while we have stopped been a member of the EU the UK IS still to most intents and purposes still part of the EU and will be until after the transition period is over

We are still trading as we were before,

We are still in the EU customs union and single market,

All the rules and regulations are the same

We can still travel as before in the EU

The right to live and work in the EU and vice versa is still in place.

The European Court of Justice will also continue to have the final say over any legal disputes

And we continue to contribute to the EU budget.

Brexit is a process that will take years to play out and this was pointed out many times by many people.

[edit I'd add that actually if anything we have just begun that process]

SuzanneAU1977 and etherea like this.
  14. NaturistJames

NaturistJames Members

Haha, and the post is titled 'the cost of brexit' I rest my case that you my friend are the idiot

15. Varmint

Varmint Member

Ahhh....now THIS makes perfect sense to me, and if correct, then I apologize to Vlad, who I may or may not agree with. Having to explain things endlessly to those who may or or may not understand is taxing. I deal with this from my own dad, whos endless circular reasoning would cause anyone but Jesus Himself to lose patience.

Sorry, Vlad! I'd pour you one if we were in the same room instead of across the pond.

16. Have a read of his knowledge on a couple of things he picked up on VG.

17. My kitty is a russian blue! He is friendly around me. Shy around everyone else. His name is gizmo.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"The estimate is based on a model developed by the government in November 2018 when it predicted various post-Brexit scenarios.

The model estimated that UK GDP would fall by 7.6% over 15 years if the government failed to reach a trade deal with the EU."

More fake news. Which is why you didn't provide a link again

UK expects 0.16% economic boost from US trade deal

'

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I thought as much, it's the exact same November 2018 worst case scenario government report The Guardian, The Independent, and the BBC keep peddling every couple of months or so

Brexit will make UK worse off, government warns

34 days after you left the EU and none of the trade deals have been finalised