The Coming Collapse

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fraggle_rock, May 27, 2018.

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

People DO have the right to call Trump whatever they want... it's called freedom of speech.
    I'm sorry it bothers you so much.

renogirl_2 likes this.
  2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm quite happy he's a loser and a whoremonger. Also happy that he's a master liar , a crook and an admitted womanizer and pussy grabber. I'm NOT HAPPY that he is in any kind of position of äuthority.

Okiefreak likes this.
  3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I think Trump has made the economy better in the short term with corporate tax cuts, but it will just mean an even bigger collapse long term. The economy is very similar to what it was in 1929. Back then the baby boomer generation from after the civil war were just starting to cash in their nest eggs and it's the same with the current baby boomers. Everyone will start cashing in their assets at the same time and cause deflation.

4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

There's a guy I work with who is starting to horde silver and ammo and is always talking about 'living off the land', etc.

I guess a small collapse wouldn't bother me too bad, even if it meant I'd have to work a couple of years longer than I'd like. It would be worth it just to see the Snapchat generation taking selfies while standing in the soup lines.

5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bill Maher said that a recession might be just what we need to get Trump out of office. He said we can survive a recession, we've survived many, but we may not survive Trump. Hopefully it will be just a recession and not a collapse.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You would likely get a much more authentic musical experience in an apocalyptic scenario. Rather than listening to music that has been rehearsed and produced, your musical experience would be limited to people singing out their sorrows around a campfire. I can dig that

6-eyed shaman and tkm954 like this.
  7. tkm954

tkm954 sub

Krushev,Was supposedly quoted as telling Kennedy that"I could take over your country,without firing a shot."Maybe meddling in the election process was what he mean't.Everybody is too thin skinned these days,when it comes to discussing politics,"You are either with me or against me"is a phrase I seem to hear these days,absolutely no room for an opposing view.Are their bad mistakes being made right now,Hell Yeah their are.And even the most ardent Trump supporters will have to eventually admit it.But democrats,are doing just as bad.Divide and conquer people,while we are busy bickering with each other,they are free to do what ever they want while we aren't paying attention.Let it collapse,it has before,and like before,we will build again,meanwhile I will sit around the campfire listening to fresh music with My wife and Maliai,hell stop by,maybe we can sing kum-ba Ya together.

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Kennedy's response should have been,
    "If you coulda, you woulda. Adios, comrade."

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Meanwhile, I'll be battling the evil Aunty Entity and Master Blaster.

[​IMG]

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In other words, roll over Beethoven? Sit back and watch the country fall apart, because it always gets back together? Actually, when did that happen before? This country has been in business for little more than a couple of centuries. Other countries that once looked solid rose and fell for good over a longer span of time, and are history now..

11. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Maher can weather a recession better than most Americans. This seems like a trivial reason to want so much ruin for the people of our nation. It should be obvious after watching so many presidents undo the work of prior presidents that what we as Americans want from the person in the top seat is about the last thing to be considered. And it doesn't matter which party is in the white house.

Maher is an asshole, his Steven Irwin costume confirmed that. And Trump has been an asshole for decades (though a lot of people loved his money). I don't think we're ever going to get a non-asshole president. And I don't think we'll ever be safe is anyone seriously considers the political maneuvering being suggested by a comedian.

We usually have a recession with every president. We're overdue for a larger correction which will probably be a depression after a substantial recession. The depression will last for decades. Hippies will probably be the most successful (of the non-wealthy classes) during such a state!

12. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't see anything trivial about wanting Trump out of office. We're on a highway to Hell with him at the wheel.

No matter what you do someone will think you're an asshole. I don't think Obama was an asshole. Bit of a dork maybe.

I think such a depression will last for years but not decades. Once we get another Democrat in the White House things can start to turn around. Yes it does matter which party is in power.

renogirl_2 and scratcho like this.
  13. GeorgeJetStoned

Obama, like Clinton, did nothing about the drug war. So he wins asshole status, clearly. The greatest advances for marijuana happened under GW Bush of all things. Not because Bush did anything, but because he didn't care enough to do anything.

Aside from all the emotional shit, I'm puzzled by the reaction to Trump. The Clintons were playing according to 1990s rules, and lost. Shitting on Bernie didn't help and Hillary probably could have taken Wisconsin, if she actually got up off her ass and campaigned there. Instead she left butthurt in her wake and lost support. It was a tactical fumble plain and simple.

What should be happening is a serious plan for 2020, but I don't see that from democrats yet. I wonder if they actually think they can win with the "I hate Trump" platform? As opposed to say, the actual issues Americans care about. You know, stupid stuff like jobs, medical care, and getting to keep more of our paychecks so we can afford the big TV and a new Antifa mask.

As an independent voter I'm not beholding to either side and readily criticize either when they fuck up (and they both fuck up a lot). As for Trump, the first thing that helps is to realize that he's not actually a republican. Another is to realize that Hillary was the last chance for the democratic party unless they can get their platform back on track. As for republicans, they were already lost. It was obvious when they wheeled out that fossil McCain to face Obama and Clinton. Then the doubled down on the towel toss with Romney, the original Mr. Destined to Lose.

I wonder if the democrats might be better off running someone like Trump, a disconnected outsider, way outside of the establishment. It could be that Washington is just choked off with all the dirt they all have on each other.

I suggest a decades-long depression because of the cascading effect a US depression will have on the global economies. There's no way the world will get to sit on the sidelines and watch America implode safely. A REAL depression will impact the infrastructure in ways it could not for the last depression. In fact, we can't use the 1930s as a model, we've modernized far beyond that scale. Inter-dependencies being what they are, only 11 key industrial interruptions could bring down the entire economy in a manner that would take years to remedy.

As Americans, we are so fucked.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

But some less so than others. Trump is world class in the asshole department. We don't usually have a recession under every president, just under Republican presidents--every one since Teddy Roosevelt, three under Eisenhower.

[/QUOTE="GeorgeJetStoned, post: 8272692, member: 175631"]Obama, like Clinton, did nothing about the drug war. So he wins asshole status, clearly. [/QUOTE]For continuing the Republican Nixon-Reagan drug war?

A new Antifa mask? Oh, you're quite the non-partisan aren't you, George. Put away those MAGA hats, KKK sheets and swastikas, the Demos is comin' to town! I, for one, would settle for an honest, fair-minded candidate who respects the rule of law, is fiscally responsible, and puts the country ahead of himself/herself. That fossil McCain may be the only one of those still alive--unfortunately , not for long.

What president, Republican or Democrat, has ever fucked up this much? False equivalence, George.

On that, we agree!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  15. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

The reaction to Trump is about Trump, not Hillary, not the election.
    There was even a period after 11/9 and before 1/17 where people thought it might not be as bad as it is.

Then he started attacking climate research, undoing environmental regulations, putting insane Christian extremists in charge of education, and using FOX and Breitbart as his personal propaganda outlets. Then came the shitstorm at the border, the shitstorm at the G8, the trade war, the weirdness with Putin (would/wouldn't). Taking credit for shit he isn't responsible for and shifting blame for things he is responsible for. Talking about throwing journalists in prison, waging nuclear war, unapologetic cruelty and the normalization of racism.

Listing the vile shit he has pulled would take forever.

Health care was always an issue. Jobs were always an issue. It was just overshadowed by fake controversies involving pedophile rings and emails and the ridiculously fascist shit coming out of Trump's mouth.

At this point I am sure that Americans know they hate both parties and that everything that happens makes it worse, but they keep going back and forth hoping that it will be different this time. It was different this time... things have gone from bleak to apocalyptic. Gloat all you want about how much of a winner you are, America will not survive 8 years of Trump. Even if it survives 4, it will still be irreversibly fucked.

That's why I'm learning Mandarin.

Okiefreak and renogirl_2 like this.
  16. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Nothin' that Trump has done so far has made this country any worse off than it has been for the last six decades. He is only a mouthpiece for American stupidity just like so many before him. You & so many others talk about Trump shiftin' the blame onto others but yet fail to see that he is merely a giant mirror reflectin' you.

17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The Democrats should consider running Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). I honestly think it could work; Trump isn't a Republican and I don't see any Democrat candidates emerging, although it's still very early. There's no chance of it happening of course but I believe they'd easily win the White House.

18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You mean that until the country is attacked or suffers actual economic collapse we're not worse off? I think we're worse off having foxes of the caliber of Scott Pruitt, Ben Carson, Betsy Devos, Ryan Zinke, and Rick perry guarding the hen house. And we're worse off having a president who violates the emoluments clause, uses the power of his office to reward cronies and punish enemies, sows division, promotes a skyrocketing debt, threatens the economy with his ill-conceived trade wars, undermines NATO, ignores the advice of his intelligence officers, cozies up to a brutal Russian dictator, and refuses to defend our democracy against Russian cyber attacks and seems to be unable to tell the truth. No President during the past six decades, with the possible exception of Nixon and G.W.Bush (and even they weren't quite that bad, although Bush gave us two wars and two recessions) has done those things, and it will catch up with us sooner or later.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  19. GeorgeJetStoned

Of course they would, they have done it before. But they never did it with a hard left line like they're tacking to these days. There have always been wacky democrats that made the rest groan. Oddly, that seems to be the modern way to make your mark. As opposed to actually doing something that benefits the bulk of the population. Not that the republicans are any better, but I expect it from them. I think Murkowski has the best shot, far better than Warren (damaged goods) and who knows, maybe they'll run Hillary again. After all, they took her "turn" away from her twice.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  20. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Someone who dedicated weeks of his life to aggressively bashing a movie he hadn't seen, who talks about politics in the most general way possible to avoid actually reading articles, whose posts consist entirely of being stupidly negative about everyone except himself for no reason... is really in no position to make comments about anything. You aren't informed enough to have political beliefs or even have interesting conversations... let alone make statements about society, me, 'people like me', or anything at all, really.

Go away.