The Chuck Lorre Empire of Shows

Discussion in 'TV Comedies and Sitcoms' started by ZenKarma, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Chuck Lorre has an amazing list of show creations to his credit, going all the way back to Roseanne in 1990.
    • Roseanne, 1990–1992, (writer, co-executive producer, supervising producer)
    • Frannie's Turn, 1992 (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Grace Under Fire, 1993–1998 (creator, writer, co-executive producer, supervising producer)
    • Cybill, 1995–1998 (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Dharma & Greg, 1997–2002 (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Two and a Half Men, 2003–2015 (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • The Big Bang Theory, 2007–present (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Mike & Molly, 2010–2016 (writer, executive producer)
    • Mom, 2013–present (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Disjointed, 2017–present (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • Young Sheldon, 2017–present (creator, writer, executive producer)
    • The Kominsky Method,TBA (creator, writer, executive producer)
    He does certainly seem to have a streak of humor, when asked why he changed his name from Levine to Lorre he said:
    The reason I changed my name was simple. My mother, never a fan of my father's family, had an unfortunate habit of using Levine as a stinging insult. When displeased with me, she would often say/shriek, "You know what you are? You're a Levine! A no good, rotten Levine!" So, for as far back as I can remember, every time I heard my last name I would experience acute feelings of low self-esteem. My first wife was the one who suggested I change my name to remedy the situation. In fact, it was she who came up with the name Lorre, complete with the fancy spelling. I thought it sounded great. Chuck Lorre. Finally a name that did not make me squirm. It didn't occur to me that in England my new name translated into Chuck Truck. But most interestingly, I had completely forgotten that when I was around eight years old my father's business began to fail, forcing my mother to find work in a clothing store called... Lorie's. Pretty creepy, huh? Did I abandon my father's name only to unconsciously name myself after a place associated with my mother's abandonment of me? Or, even creepier, did my ex-wife somehow know all this and propose the name Lorre just to screw with me? Hmmm... I was a no good, rotten husband so I certainly had it coming.​

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Chuck certainly seems to dominate an hour and a half of CBS primetime space weekly with Big Bang, Young Sheldon and Mom.

A decade on, Big Bang is certainly tired and lame, one seems to watch in order to see the ultimate demise, and ending of this cash-cow.

Mom is highly entertaining, an obvious showcase to Chuck Lorre's own personal struggles with alcohol. It seems to explore issues that have never been done on TV before.

Young Sheldon alternately makes me want to puke and laugh. I suppose that is sweet success to Chuck... but I'm not certain I can take yet one more episode. Life is too short.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I used to like Two and a Half Men.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I guess I'm not a Chuck Lorre fan, I dont like any of those shows except Roseanne. Roseanne is awesome

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I see the word "amazing" is being used very loosely here.

Mom and Mike & Molly are almost as not-funny and cringeworthy as 2 broke girls.

Two and a half men and The big bang theory were okay for like two or three seasons.
    But then we got a zillion not funny seasons.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's "amazing" that all those shitty shows became as popular as they are/were.

obviously chuck's a smart guy. he clearly figured out the formula to make a lot of money in his chosen field, and as an added bonus he doesn't need any creativity or cleverness or any of the traits that all the broke screenwriters have.