The Christ Conundrum.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, Nov 22, 2020.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Let's start with a few facts:
    Disregarding the fact that all these figures add up to 100%....meaning there aren't any atheists or agnostics (only unaffiliated) in the world according to Pew.....Christianity only accounts for 31.2% of the 7.3 billion people in the world. That leaves over 5 billion people who don't believe in J C., if I calculated that correctly.
    That seems a pretty dismal following for the Omniscient Lord of the Universe.
    I mean really. It seems to me he had the timing all off. I mean why appear in a back water slum in a barely historic period to a bunch of smelly fisherman?
    No market value.
    Doesn't God have a PR wing? Couldn't he wait for the camera to be invented....or "inspire" someone to come up with it a little bit earlier?

I get the free will stuff. He could just command everyone to believe in his son if he wanted to, but he wants us to do it of our own FREE WILL.
    But come on. How much of our will is actually free?
    Surely God knew the ancient Egyptians had wall posters, and advertising was well known to the Greeks and Romans. Surely God could have done a better job of advertising the birth of Jesus? His miracles? The crucifixion? Just to help us decide, with our FREE WILL.
    And how do you foul up the resurrection? For god's sake, that should have been banner headlines around the world!

Instead we get some recollections from a couple of fisherman written down years after the fact on moldy papyrus, copied over thousands of years, rewritten, butchered, fought over...... Fisherman, Jesus H. F--k, we know how reliable fisherman are, they never lie.

Furthermore what the heck is going on up in heaven today?
    Doesn't God look at his Nielsen ratings?
    One third of the market share; not good when you're the Omniscient Lord of the Universe.
    What's he waiting for?
    Has the pope told him about TV? Or the interf--king net? I can't even find him on Facebook!

Book J. C. on some talk shows, Colbert is Catholic. So is Conan. I'm sure they'd offer him a spot.
    (True Colbert did have God on a few times, but never J. C. to my knowledge.)

Or how about stumping Penn and Teller?
    Afraid they'd figure out that water to wine trick?

This is the 21st Century after all.
    What he needs is a good agent.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There's this one...lol

scratcho likes this.
  3. MeAgain

Nah. She can't get Jesus to sit down with Wolf Blitzer or even show up for FOX and Friends.
    God hasn't a clue about celebrity.

4. Tyrsonswood

She could be a reason Jesus is doing so badly in the polls though... Die hard Christians would leave their church because of that woman.

Lynnbrown and MeAgain like this.
  5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The Jews had the Christians make the story of Moses touch with a mighty voice a third of the world .
    Must qualify as a miracle . But , Ol' Moses , he never did cross o'r Jordan into the promised land .

If someday the world becomes peaceful , then name the Light .

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The trump religion is a known 73 million.

Lynnbrown and hotwater like this.
  7. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

But God IS Jesus and Jehova and Allah and Vishnu and Shiva and Lucifer...

They are all the same God, and IT is pure DEMON.

And IT never created shit, but war and deception and contrived misery.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The older I get the sillier this all gets

Just spend the afternoon in the park on a nice warm day watch the birdies and the sunset in wonderment

As if humans know shit about how it all started anyway

scratcho likes this.
  9. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Todays people want to worship themselves and their posessions.

Now, we are our own god.

10. MeAgain

Proves my point.
    An asshole uses marketing and look at the results.

scratcho likes this.
  11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The ghouls drool on a string
    slime slides down
    nourishing

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

christ was a human, who died, a long time ago. but also a legend. and legends outlive humans, with or without publicity agents.
    god was and is, by deductive reasoning, and looking at all we supposedly know, which is almost nothing, and what people have told each other to imagine,
    a self aware, powerful, non-physical and equally non-imaginary, being, who chose the man christ, along with many others throughout human history,
    on average one every thousand years, give or take a few hundred, to be channeled by. baha-u-llah, a title that means glory of god, preferred the term "manifestation",
    which reduces to approximately the same meaning.

i don't claim to represent either or any of them. but i see no "conundrem",
    save that created by humans trying to tell each other what to pretend.

tikoo likes this.
  13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I also see no conundrum . And I hallucinate well enough .

14. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

So let me understand this. Christianity is the world's largest religion (also the most widespread), and your gripe is it doesn't have a larger "market share"? If that's so, whaddabout the other religions? Islam is #2, but less than one-quarter of the world's population. The irreligious are the third largest category, 16%, although they would hasten to tell us they're not a religion. Hindus, only 14%. And Buddhists? A mere 6%. Why would anybody take them seriously? Must not have much to offer if they can't muster even one-tenth of the world's population--unless size doesn't matter. The real puzzler is "God's chosen people", the Jews, who account for 2/10 of 1% of people in the world today--although they certainly make an impact way disproportionate to their numbers.

I don't know what inspired this exercise in "size matters", but my guess is God is more concerned with quality than quantity. After all, doesn't Revelation tell us only 144,000 of us are going to make it to Heaven? Any good Calvinist knows God is really picky about whom he lets through those Pearly Gates. (I say this tongue in cheek, since I think Heaven is a state of mind and Hell is a bad attitude).

Some atheists seem to be fundamentalists at heart, but us Progressive Christians don't believe God is the Dude in the Sky, let alone the "Omniscient Lord of the Universe" (See Hartshone, Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes.) We think the relative shares of the world religions is a function of historical factors, like conquest and commerce. Muslim tradition tells us that Allah sent 124, 000 prophets and 313 messengers to the nations of the world (Sahih Hadith), which is metaphorical for a shitload of prophets and messengers. I think all of the world religions contain aspects of divine truth, and I've found my own Christian faith to be strengthened by studying all of them (including atheism, which isn't a religion but is defined in relation to God.) Max Müller famously put it;"he who knows only one religion knows none."

Christianity got a big shot in the arm when Constantine embraced it and made the Prince of Peace into General Jesus. For many, Christianity is, in the words of Julian the Apostate, a "pernicious superstition", and unfortunately many of the most outspoken of self-proclaimed Christians are essentially Latter Day Pharisees. But some of us see it primarily as a religion of peace, unconditional love ,and social justice for humanity, especially for society's rejects and least advantaged. Good enough for me, no matter how many others believe it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  15. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Forget the justice , keep the peace . Abolish punishment .

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Peace and social (distributive) justice are joined at the hip. Punishment is the province of corrective justice.

17. MeAgain

In general I agree...except for the Buddhism is a religion part, same with many aspects of Hinduism.

In Christianity, Judaism, and Islam; God, or the supreme being, is a separate entity; not so in Buddhism and Hinduism. Additionally Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are belief systems, Buddhism and Hinduism are not, they proscribe an inner search for the truth, not a reliance on the belief of a god who demands worship.

I really don't understand progressive Christianity. Seems to me it's an unnecessary term. If Jesus isn't divine and God isn't seen as omniscient then what's the use of calling oneself Christian as that contradicts the basic tenets of Christianity.

My point is.....if the goal of God and Jesus is to save souls, why not use modern technology, why appear where and when he supposedly did?
    Why send your only begotten son to a town of an estimate 40,000 people in a primitive era and then walk away? The city of Rome had from 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, China had a population of over 57 million, El Mirador in Guatemala had a population of 100,000 to 250,000 at the same time...why go to Bethlehem?
    I'm serious. Doesn't make sense.

18. Tyrsonswood

It's religion... It's not supposed to make sense.

Lynnbrown, scratcho and wrat1 like this.
  19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I hope you make progress , progressive one .

I may reflect on the time I worked for a Peace and Justice Center . I made some progress in my thinking with this experience . They still thank me for the community drum I made for them . The thing is only peaceful . And it alone is at the center .

I would not come to Tishomingo expecting justice to be sensible .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  20. Gratefully Dead Horse

Gratefully Dead Horse Members

As it is written "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. "

Tishomingo likes this.