The Cherry Pie Theology

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by USNavyDeadHead, Dec 29, 2004.

1. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Ever had a good homemade cherry pie? I mean a REAL GOOD homemade cherry pie? Well to be considered good pie, the cherry filling inside has to be just a little "runny". Now when you see that cherry pie you see the whole thing. But as much as you would like to eat the whole thing you have to share with everybody else so you have to cut that pie into the required number of pieces. Now if the pie is good then that filling should run back together after the knife has cut through it. So even from the outside the pie appears to be in several pieces, underneath you should still have one filling.

Thats pretty much the way I look at religion. God is the force that created the universe But human beings are not able to grasp a nameless entity that created everything. So we give God names and personas. How absolutely vain of us. To name God! We have divided God into many pieces. Some call God Jehova or Yahweh or Allah or Jupiter or Zues or whatever you have opted to call it. So on the outside we have all these pieces but on the inside its all the same thing.

Well, anyway thats my view for what its worth.

May the invisable man or woman you pray to keep and bless you and your loved ones tonight.

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I'm gonna go eat some pie now :)

3. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

names are words, and whatever name He/She/It is given doesn't matter.

4. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

USNavyDeadHead:

For a second, I thought, "OMG, this loser is going to just talk about everyone being happy and eating pie and not caring, what the crap."

But you know what? You're really dead-on. That's a very good theory, and while it isn't new to me, I don't know if you could put that theory into words that make any more sense.

I applaud you! =)

Oh, and by the way ... as nice as that theory is, the main problem isn't the name of the deity, it's each person's interpretation of that deity. Some say he's this, some say she's that, some say nobody is the other thing.

But all in all, it's something that I don't think any human will be able to fully understand or even comprehend.

5. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

Basically, the kind of pie becomes significant? It's become only the cherry pie that can get you to heaven, and the blueberry, the chocolate, and that crummy key lime are all fallen fruits from the Tree of Sin?

Sadly, we've lost the message that any pie will do...

6. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

We each have a favourite pie, and all have pies we don't care for.
    I love raisin pie, and am not a big steak and kidney pie fan.
    Without so many different kinds of pies, the world would not be as tasty, nor as beautiful to me.

7. Goatman88

Goatman88 Member

i personally would not like religion to dissapear, nor for all people to be of one religion becuase then you remove the basis for most peoples culture and way of life. This removes their diversity so wed all be the same in that way which would be boring.

8. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

People are naturally untrusting of things that are different. I see two ways we could go in our future: either the loss of our diversity or cultural acceptance. Right now we are suffering through many culture clashes. Unfortunatly there are always going to be culture clashes (a look through history will tell us that.) Hopefully we won't wipe them out and turn into a generic wal-mart culture across the globe, but that is one possibility (and some may think that is an improvement). The better outcome (in my opinion) would be that we learn to accept our differences rather than change them in eachother, but we don't seem to have a track record for that. However, I think that we are better about it than we have been in the past - so I have some optimism.