The Catcher in the Rye. J. D. Salinger

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by Tman58, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

I remember our class reading this in high school. One day during English, when the teacher had left the room, the principal came in. He picked up one of the student's copy of the novel and said, "I don't know why they're making read this garbage."

I was surprised that he would say that, but at the time, I felt the same way about the book. I don't remember the book much, but I'd like to go back and read it again.

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well maybe if you had really read the book you'd realize that it was not Science Fiction, but a bleak coming of age story.

Otherwise, I wasn't too impressed with it either.

In High School our class was asked to suggest a book for all to read... I chose the Gulag Archipelago, but the class voted for Catcher in the Rye.

Dax likes this.
  3. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

You are right! I wasn't too interested in reading anything back then. How was Gulag Archipelago?

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

The Gulag was endlessly depressing, I read it anyway. I was and still am an avid reader.

Dax likes this.
  5. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

I'm going to search that one. I'm part way through Great Expectations. I want to read the classics. My brother is an English teacher. He recommends The Great Gatsby next.

ZenKarma likes this.
  6. Dax

Dax Members

Can't go qrong with The Great Gatsby. What a wonderful novel.

ZenKarma likes this.