The Captains Style Council for the Over 40s

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by Captain Scarlet, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Now I will go onto the blazer . I have just around 6 of these as I dont wear them too often . They are more formal and I tend to pair them up with chinos or other smart trousers for going out to dinner with friends or other semi formal occasions .

Some retailers get this item wrongly labelled and I have seen many Sports Jackets/coats advertised this way.

So what it the difference between a blazer and a Sports Jacket ?

The biggest difference is the tailoring . Blazers being more formal than Sports Jackets sharper creases and normally of one solid colour ,often navy blue but not exclusively so . The reason for the Navy Blue as the blazer was derived from the French Navy Jacket the Blazon . Metal buttons are often seen on blazers as well. If one buys a blazer with plastic buttons I would get them changed to metal . I have a maroon blazer I did this and applied oyster shell buttons with a couple of token brass ones on the sleeves . They are available in double breasted versions as well .

This is a jacket I would wear a proper collared shirt with either open necked or with a tie depending on the occasion .

A double breasted blazer . Easily identifiable with 2 rows of buttons down the front

[​IMG]

A blazer used in a more formal setting . This is a typical outfit my father would have worn as he had a military background and would wear a RAF tie when he frequented the local Royal British Legion Club .
    [​IMG]

Todd56 likes this.
  2. A blazer is my "no brainer" if I have to get dressed nice in a hurry.

Captain Scarlet likes this.