The Captains Style Council for the Over 40s

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by Captain Scarlet, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I wanted to start a new thread on a rarely visited part of Hip on the way I dress for going out . I have had a very loose interest in clothes for many years and doing some small scale modelling work for a large well known clothing company local to me . These clothes I will be modelling will be cargo pants and hoodies neither of which are my taste

I tend to dress more to the classical style which never goes out of style although the Pandemic and working from home largely contributed a far more casual approach to clothing .

The style I adopted harks back to the 70s and perhaps influenced by Progressive Rock followers of which is my main taste in music . That is usually a sports jacket or sports coat as they are often referred to in the US, worn with denims .

Thus when I go out with my mates , I like to stand out from the crowd and not just mix within it. That has in the past and still does get me noticed by the fairer sex .

Below is how my mates go out

[​IMG]

This is how I go out as pictured below

[​IMG]

Guess who is going to come home with the bacon ?

If your into hoodies ,cargo pants ,and lounge wear then this article will not be for you.

I aim to describe and picture the clothes I own and various combinations . I will try to use library pictures where ever possible as sizing my own pictures on Hip appears to be a problem in that they are often rather large .

I will kick off shortly with the Sports Jacket/Coat but not the Nike type :)

~Zen~, Todd56 and DrRainbow like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My favorite ensemble when I was just "over 40" (a long time ago),

163057_1727468236788_1540911469_1742396_1300257_n.jpg

3. Captain Scarlet

Luv it.

Really smart but not overly formal.

DrRainbow likes this.
  4. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Say what about under 40s?

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  5. Captain Scarlet

Start your own thread then :)

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Not a bad idea that.

7. Captain Scarlet

The First type of jacket i want to discuss is the Sports Jacket or Sports Coat as they are often referred to in the US.
    A sports coat or sports jacket comes in a variety of fabrics such as wool, tweed, linen, corduroy and cotton. The most classic style of a sports coat is made from wool, in particular tweed.
    Many people confuse them with blazers and some retailers list them a blazers .I will cover blazers in detail in another post but for now the biggest difference is in the tailoring with the Sports Jacket being the most casual in the family of tailored jacket.
    They are called sports jackets/coats and not to be confused with the plastic Nike types because they were originally worn by gentlemen going shooting either game or the more morally acceptable clay pigeon shooting. Some can be seen with leather patches down the front to accomodate the constant shooting with the shot gun

[​IMG]

They look quite nice on the ladies too

[​IMG]

I have around 50 examples of these from various tailoring companies including one in denim which is my workhorse .I am not a label person as I prefer to buy quality and not just a name . But Cavani from Italy , Mark Darcy and Spitalfields from the UK make up bulk of my wardrobe .

curiousbear likes this.
  8. Captain Scarlet

Some examples of Sports Jackets/Coats

Some Tweed examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The classic Blue
    [​IMG]

A small checked design on a lady mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of denim versions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

curiousbear and Todd56 like this.
  9. Great thread! I'm a sports coat man also. I probably don't have as many as Captain, about a dozen that fit. I don't like suits. I only have a couple of those for funerals and such. I have some heavier fabric sports coats for winter, and some slightly oversized to wear a sweater under. I like classic blazers in a lighter fabric for summer. The best thing about sports coats is the versatility. You can be casual with jeans and a classy tee shirt, or dressy with a nice shirt and dress slacks. The ladies always notice a man that dresses a notch above the rest. Nice shoes help too!

curiousbear and Captain Scarlet like this.
  10. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Always good with the tartan.

11. Captain Scarlet

Thanks mate . I will be covering shoes later . Ironicaly I am not a suit man either as I had to wear one when i worked for a bank . However for completeness they need to be mentioned and i will later .

Todd56 likes this.
  12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I am in two minds about suits.
    About ten years ago I was an extra in a TV drama.They put me in a suit that really did something for me. Even a female extra who would have been 30 years younger than me, noticed me as we sat down for lunch.I liked the suit worn by the secretary in the Bananarama video clip of Shy Boy.
    On the other hand I see suits as wasteful. The Jacket has to be cleaned at the same time as the trousers/ skirt.

13. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

This thread reminds me of Jack in This is Us... I have one suit and one sports jacket. I should wear the jacket more, and perhaps buy few more... before that I should lose some belly fat, I just don't like the way I look right now :(

14. Captain Scarlet

I hope by the time I have finished this article ,it may help. Being of the large size doesnt matter. I have seen larger guys but neatly dressed attract the women equally as well. Many women like a well dressed and groomed guy as it shows he has pride and takes an interest on how he looks. On my bucket list is to be a wingman for a mate of mine who is single and to have a crack at one of these class 11 ladies I see from time to time in Manchester shhhhhhhhhhh.dont tell the Mrs ;) . This class of lady I dont see in my home town and i see them as challenge . They are perfect and immaculately dressed and I need to be al least on equal terms. Dressing in jeans ,track suit bottoms ,joggers and perhaps with a T shirt with trainers will not do it .

This sort of out fit below will

[​IMG]

15. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

16. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

17. Captain Scarlet

Back on with more about Sports Jackets

The modern sport jackets come in with many types of fabrics — wool, tweed, corduroy, cotton, linen, silk,denim and and blended combinations. The differences in material and construction can make one jacket ideal for winter or fall wear, and another perfect for spring or summer affairs.

The summer light weight jackets tend to be lighter in colour and linen based . Many dont have a lining to allow the air to pass through .

upload_2022-9-29_9-21-47.jpeg

An example of a linen sports jacket pictured below

[​IMG]

They linen types are normally worn creased which adds to their look .

To conclude about sports jackets is that they are a very versatile jacket. I have over 50 of these from summer light weights to winter tweed heavy weights and can cope with all the seasons. This is my N01 jackets type I pick for a weekend on the town, worn with denims or Chinos .

Next I will go onto the blazer but will pause for any questions on the sports jacket that anyone may have . :)

18. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Matey, I don't have and wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of Jeans, the nearest I have are a couple of pairs of cords and in the main I use them for just knocking about my place.

As to the latest photo (above), is that jacket a bit to small for him ??? - it looks as if the button is being overly strained fto fit in the button hole !!!

19. Captain Scarlet

We have to dress sometimes to our age . I am lucky in that I am a model and so I can dress in a younger persons clothes . Therefore when I go out ,my denims are slim fit and neat . Sometimes I go commando as well for a smoother rear look. They look well on me and couple up nicely with a sports jacket . I sometimes go out in triple denim( shock horror) as I do have a couple of denim sports jackets. However , I mainly reserve that look for when I am watching a rock band. I am also quite happy wearing flared jeans occasionally with a 3 button sports jacket.The picture at the bottom demonstrates this .

I do meet you half way though and an older guy in most cases in my view looks far better in a pair of Chinos than loose fitting jeans but the choice will be his and not yours nor mine .

The guys jacket in the picture fits fine as long as he can move his arms with room .Dont forget this is not a suit jacket but a casual sports jacket . Sports jackets especially linen can fit that way with many creases . If this was a suit jacket or blazer for that matter then I would agree as you dont want creases in either of these 2 types . He is a younger guy and wants to demonstrate the sought after inverted triangle and fits him well for that purpose . For yourself obviously a larger looser fitting jacket will suit you better. I am guessing your more of a blazer guy anyway and will be covering blazers next. They are a sharper tailoring than the sports jacket just being one down from the suit jacket.

Below is how a suit Jacket should fit .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd56 likes this.
  20. My preference when wearing jeans with a sports coat is to wear the newest darkest crispest pair of jeans I own. Being in my mid 60’s I think it makes a good impression. Fortunately I’m still in good enough shape to get away with nice fitting jeans.