The Campaign to Ban the "Thin Blue Line" Decal

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Panzer, May 20, 2007.

1. Panzer

Panzer Member

The "thin blue line" decal is a symbol comprised of two horizontal black stripes separated by one blue stripe. If you look up "thin blue line (emblem)" on wikipedia you will find a picture of this decal along with a brief article regarding its meaning and use. As the article states, "It is presumed by some that if their personal vehicle is bearing this symbol, they will be treated with respect that they may not receive otherwise."
    This is actually not a "presumption," but a fact. I personally know people that were pulled over for speeding then let go with no form of reprimand whatsoever when the police officer noticed the T.B.L. decal on their car. Of course everyone has heard stories like this, but in the past the various police agencies have each had their own decal, localizing the phenomena. With the advent of the T.B.L. decal this unwritten code of preferential treatment has become standardized and systematic. This has created a favored elite comprised of police officers and their immediate relatives, who do not need to follow traffic laws, and makes me, and everyone else who is not part of this elite, second class citizens. If a police officer is not on duty and not driving a marked police car there is no reason they should not have to adhere to the rules of the road just like everyone else. There is no reason why their relatives should not obey traffic laws either.
    Towards the aim of dismantling this favored elite system, and regaining equal status for myself and millions of other Americans, I propose a campaign to ban the "thin blue line" decal. The strategies of this campaign will involve educating the public, petitioning law makers, public protests, and what ever other legal means that may help achieve this goal.
    I am writing to you today hoping that you will help me with this campaign in any way legaly possible. Please feel free to contact me with any advice, coments, or questions.

2. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Used to be you would stick your related officers business card to the back of your drivers license and that would have its perks.

3. Panzer

Panzer Member

Quite true, and I am sure that still happens. However, we are now dealing with a nation wide canpiracy rather than a localized problem.

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Never heard of it but I will be on the outlook now. Sounds similar to the Masonic handshake.

5. ryanphinney

ryanphinney Member

Seems to me what you are suggesting ( banning of a sticker displayed on a vehicle) would be a violation of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

It doesn't really matter that you find the reasons for the display (ie form of speech) to be objectionable, since there are quite a few forms of speech that many in this country find objectionable, which are still protected under the law.

Are you actually willing to throw away your freedom so that someone won't get to try and avoid getting a ticket? Don't you realize that if an off-duty police officer gets stopped, it's a relatively simple act to pull out his badge at the same time as his license? The sticker doesn't stop you from getting pulled over, it isn't large enough to identify from a distance.

Seems to me you are suggesting burning down the house to kill a few cockroaches...

6. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

Better Idea than protesting it and trying to get it banned. COUNTERFEIT IT.

Besides, if enough people use it, through dilution, it loses its power, rather than becoming an underground police solidarity item.

I could see carrying a few kilos with a TBL decal, and knowing I won't get searched or likely even written a ticket.

(evil grin) It's called social engineering, and subversion. The public rebels are those that get caught, the ones that're clever learn the rules of the system and how to manipulate them. Let's be clever, shall we?

7. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

BTW, the TBL decal is available in 2x3 and 3x5 sizes. There is a White variant, of a blue line between two white bars. Any talented bumpersticker/decal makers out there?

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

^^good thinking.
    any freaky local screen printer could do it for you.

9. Codenamejustice

Codenamejustice Guest

10. Codenamejustice

Codenamejustice Guest

11. gEo_tehaD_returns

gEo_tehaD_returns Senior Member

Huh. .. I heard you could get out of tickets if you had a Fraternal Order of Police officers (or whatever that shit is called) sticker. I never could bring myself to donate money to our horrid justice system, though, especially the one in the city I was living in at the time. That is Fort Wayne, Indiana, which is basically a police state nowadays. That city has almost no violent crime, yet there are more cops per person than anywhere else I've ever been, and they are the highest paid cops in the country after you factor in cost of living - and all they do is arrest drunk minors/drivers and pot smokers or harrass people who look like pot smokers. If it weren't for these two things all but a few of the FWPD would lose their jobs and the few left would sit on their asses waiting for a domestic dispute or something.

Anyway I've veered off topic. The poster who said we should just buy these ourselves until they become obsolete has the right idea.