The Cabin in the Woods

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by Shale, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Cabin in the Woods
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    April 14, 2012

First off, this movie was not my regular fare. I never saw Saw nor Cabin Fever. I did see Dreamcatcher which was a horror flick in a cabin in the woods but that was a decade ago (and I thot it was quite silly). However, I went to see this movie because of the outstanding reviews, both locally (3.5 stars from Connie Ogle of The Miami Herald) and 93% of the aggregate reviewers on Rottentomatoes as well as 81% of audiences.

And, they all make reference to this being different than the usual teen slasher flick. But don't worry, there will be five young friends who are planning a relaxing weekend in someone's cabin in the woods, where unbeknownst to them will be zombies, with saws and scythes and knives (and bear traps on chains) who will chase them thru the woods and cabin - and, oh yeah, there will be blood. (it is rated R)

Of these five friends there is Jules, the loose girl (Anna Hutchison) who puts out to her jock BF Curt (Chris Hemsworth) and others, Holden (Jesse Williams) a studious intellectual, Dana (Kristen Connolly) a nice girl who doesn't put out and their stoner friend Marty (Fran Kranz) who channels Woody Harrelson.

Five Friends in the Cabin
    [​IMG]

IDK how these movies are supposed to play out, but there were the elements of finding a door to a dark cellar - and since none of them ever watched one of these slasher flicks THEY GO INTO IT!!

Don't Go Into the Cellar
    [​IMG]

These friends also get separated and get attacked by the killer zombies in the woods

Fight for Life
    [​IMG]

And in the cabin.

Dresser Against Zombie Attack
    [​IMG]

If this all seems pretty much what you expect - then Good. However, there is much more to this movie that got such exceptional reviews from critics and audiences. This one has a backstory, which makes it exceptional. All I can say is Go See This Movie.

2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

great meticulous deconstruction of all the mechanics of the slasher genre,

you were right not to give too much away, theres SO much more to the plot than can be said here. everyone should see it who has any interest in the tradititions of the horror genre.

lovely knowing references for genre fans to revel in; evil dead, hellraiser, the cube and HP lovecraft all get a look in

theres so much more i'd love to say, but i can't without ruining it for anyone who might read it, its witty and funny and scary in equal measure (mainly jump shots, kinda cheap but that fits in with the tone and theme of the film.)

one thing that annoyed me (and this is no reflection on the film itself) was that in all the reviews i read, they talked about a "plot twist" that would blow my head off. i sat through the whole thing expecting a twist and there wasn't one, which slightly hampered my enjoyment. i wouldn't mind so much, but this has happened with several films in the last few months and its really beggining to annoy me.

my only complaint was some slighlty rubbish CG, but CG always irritates me, i'm a cinematic luddite. and there were things which couldn't have been accomplished any other way, anyway, so i can't really fault them.

3. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

looks good, reminded me a bit of last house on the left. previews anyway..
    how did you not like Dreamcatcher though Shale?!

4. Shale

Shale ~

It was almost 10 years ago and I vaguely remember it. I guess shitting an alien parasite out, then it killing the guy and growing moss in the bathroom and fighting with the other guys was just too much for me.

I also don't care for zombie flicks, but this one had enuf other distractions that it didn't bother me.

5. mollysmith

mollysmith Guest

This movie same as the Evil dead.In this movie the 5 members wants to go to celebrate the holidays at Cabin In The Wood.i like the role in this movie was Chris hemsworth.

6. autophobe2e

i actually preferred this. after i saw cabin i the woods the second time, i came to realise that the great failing of it is that, for a film which so obviouslyknows its stuff in terms of the history of horror, it appeared to be bale to employ the mechanics of it as well as it should. in other words, it wasn't scary enough.

also,it relied on cg effects toomuch and notphysicalones,which alienates a lot of horror fans,as we tend to gravitate more towards physical plastic effects-work.

if you liked it, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tNrvDA_eE8"]Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon Trailer (TADFF 2006) - YouTube

7. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Dumbest fucking movie ever....

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Pffft, it was an excellent movie. Anything by Joss Whedon is never a let down.

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Towards the ending when all the monsters are let loose... yes cool.. otherwise the whole movie made no sense at all

oh and the stereotypical stoner was waaaaaaaaay too stereotypical

10. autophobe2e

i thought it was excellent, although i did kinda think that poor cg let 'em down a little towrd the end.

11. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I loved the movie. We watched it last night and we laughed our asses off.
    My hubby kept saying it reminded him of the Hunger Games, they way they were being picked off by the "creators". I loved the ending. Especially when all the monsters came out.

Does anyone understand the part about choosing their death? I know it's the items they picked up in the beginning. But why didn't the "ball" guy with the blades through his head try to kill them, since that was one of the items being played with in the beginning.

On a personal note - my family calls my house the "Cabin In The Woods". I even have a wood sign on our driveway that says that. Hoping monsters don't pop out of the woods.

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Good Movie with a great ending :2thumbsup:

hotwater

13. anonisacat

anonisacat Member

pretty fucking stupid.i hated the ending, too.

14. Porcelain_Insomniac

Porcelain_Insomniac Member

i never saw this one, but my friend was talking to me about it today. she said some stoner had this bong that could turn into a coffee cup. and then in the end he had to die or else the world would end or some shit. it sounded pretty stupid but ill watch it and see for myself.

15. Muchtooyoung

Muchtooyoung Member

The choosing of their death comes down to which one ofthe items in the basement was read first (I think), that'll teach them to be nosey little buggers:2thumbsup:. They were of course directed down and manipulated into choosing their destruction. It's one of those areas where you have to watch it several times to catch-on.

My wife and I enjoyed the film at the cinema and on DVD which will get quite a few viewings.

16. autophobe2e

presumably each of the items, the necklace, the music box, the ball, all had their corresponding deaths, but had to be used in a certain way. reading the diary aloud brought the family back and, presumably as the ball guy looks like pinhead from hellraiser, the ball was a puzzle box and had to be opened. (he's billed as "fornicus, lord of bondage and pain, doug bradley would be proud :) )

17. Bond007

Bond007 Member

Thought Sigourney Weaver could have been used more.

18. Shale

Shale ~

That may be her new hobby - doing cameos in fantasy/sci-fi flicks like this one and Paul where she comes in at the end as a heavy and gets offed.

19. rojored

rojored Member

A piece of trash!

20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I didnt really like the new version of this! (Especially the rape scene -- NO REASON FOR THAT EVIL TRASH!!)

I havent seen the original...