The Brown years 2007-2017

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by J0hn, May 18, 2007.

1. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

It is likely that and has been confirmed that Gordon Brown will become our next Prime minister. It will be a sad day for Britain as some of Brown's tactics is about Tax and lining his pocket with your hard earned cash. Infact he most likely has money wallpaper. I predict Britain will once again go downhill.

What are your thoughts of Brown becoming Prime Minister?

2. westham

westham Member

bring back maggie.

3. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

What Britain needs is a conservative government. Labour back in again. Labour are undefeatable. Yes, I would bring back the Iron lady.

4. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

yeah man bring back twatcher ..........poverty and riots :rolleyes:

5. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

Brown will bore us all to death.

He'll be like Major on mogadon.

6. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Riots, just means power to the people. Thatcher years was like a door that had opened for those who wanted to get things said and done. It was called, Freedom.

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

That's probably the worst analysis of the Thatcher years I've ever read. Stick to the world of mice John, the world of men is too complex....

8. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

.....freedom for whom ?

9. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Nothing wrong with protesting. I think freedom to the people. To society, us who live under government rule.
    I am not alone in that I believe protesting is a man's right and duty. Thatcher simply provided us with an opportunity to do so. not agreeing with everything Thatcher did but she was much better than Brown.

Anyway back to topic, Brown. your views on his next ten years as prime minister.

10. Peace-Phoenix

I doubt he'll have ten years. I give him till the next election, then it'll be 'The Cameron years 2009-2019'....

11. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

Bah, I give it 5 years then it'll be "The Glorious Hippie Republic of Great Britain" 2012-20,000 :D
    Ah, we can but dream...

12. lithium

lithium frogboy

That is frighteningly likely! I never thought I'd say this, but do we really care if Cameron gets in? I mean, there's a case to be made that backbench MPs do exert some tiny smidgeon of influence on the direction of government policy, and that conservative backbenchers are likely to be slightly further to the right of the cabinet, whereas labour MPs will be slightly to the left, but the differences we're talking about between the two parties are probably negligible.

I could never vote conservative or celebrate a conservative win like I did the labour win in 97, but deep down I just think it makes so little difference that there's not much point in bothering to vote.

13. Peace-Phoenix

I don't think a vote for Labour would be a progressive vote. I certainly won't be celebrating a Tory victory, but it's important to recognise that Cameron is no Thatcher or Major. In many ways, he does represent Blairism without Blair. In some respects he is to the left of Brown. But no, neither of the two will win my vote. I would probably have voted for McDonnell, but given that was never going to be an option, nor is me voting Labour. I don't consider the Lib Dems as a particularly radical break from consensus either, and Ming Campbell has gone back on some of their more progressive policies under Kennedy - notably the top bracket income tax of 50% for over £100,000. Whilst recognising that it would be almost impossible for my vote to make a difference, (unless I was in a crucial constituency, such as Bethnal Green and Bow, in which case I'd vote Respect) I expect I'll vote Green. Since the Greens are, perhaps unfairly, seen as a single issue party, the higher the vote for the Greens the more seriously the mainstream parties will take the need to tackle climate change. Since, alongside perhaps global poverty (and the two are interlinked) I think this is the single most important issue facing us now, far more crucial even than the Middle East, voting remains of crucial importance if only for one issue and one issue alone....

14. lithium

lithium frogboy

[​IMG]
    :eek:

15. Peace-Phoenix

That doesn't bother me particularly, as I said in front of 6 million people last year, I found that very alluring :tongue: Besides Galloway has said he's not running for election again. It would be some other Respect candidate standing in their strongest constituency....

16. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

brown does seem very bland but it doesnt really matter if conservatives or new labour are in
    blair has been the best leader the conservatives never had they went to war when the majority of the people were against it and you had the biggest demos in british history .
    Id vote green this time

I voted for thatcher mainly because of the winter of discontent, people like scargill and things like secondary picketing , I think at that time the left gave thatcher her victory by being daft they had a labour government and doing things like not burying people turned lots of people conservative and pretty much the countrys been that way ever since .

There is a big lesson in that for any future left wing government, people like trade unions as long as their seen as not to radical for the sake of being radical , they dont like strikes where people arent buried , we are not a country of extreamism but if people see that from one side they are apt to vote for someone like thatcher to stop it

one thing about thatcher is she wasnt bland you could hate her but she made a impact, if she was up against brown I think she would win

17. Peace-Phoenix

I think the unions acted irrationally at that point and acted counter to their interests. I'm in favour of organised militant unionism, but their campaigns were not sufficiently targetted, they lost the support of the country and gave us Thatcher....

18. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I always thought someone from the democrats would be worth a try. Like a game of chess, it is sometimes best to use a different piece. Labour are the pawns and democrats are the rooks and conservatives are the horses. BMP are the bishops and the Green party are the king and Queen.

19. westham

westham Member

hear-hear.

20. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

conservative - labour ? what does it matter ? THEY ARE ALL THEM. there is no fucking opposition in parliament the opposition is on the streets - fuck parliamentary democracy it is no democracey at all - that parliament is democracy for the powerful and elitist - fuck parliament and fuck parliamentary democracy - lets have a true democracy - one which voices and represents what concerns the people and one that regards itself the servant of the people in defence of the peoples wishes

fuck parliament - fuck capitalism and fuck parliamentary democracy -

ESTABLISH A NEW FORM OF DEMOCRACY