The bread thread

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Candy Gal, Mar 21, 2020.

1. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

As I know it, they stored wine in lead amphoras, it took time before lead salts would make it sweet, so it is even worse. Also they believed than an amethyst dunked in their cups would prevent drunkenness , hence the name a-metüstès which means "not drunk". Ypsilon is pronounced (and the small letter is also drawn) as an u in classic greek. So the Romans used to dip their amethyst rings into the glass, some even had amethyst chalices.

Candy Gal likes this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I already did that some months ago - here's the recipe I use:

Ingredients:

8 slices of bread roughly ripped into small pieces and placed in a large bowl. Add:
    1/2 Pt fresh orange juice
    2 large eggs
    8 Oz dried mixed fruit
    4 0z Dark Muscavado Sugar
    Cinnamon
    All Spice
    Mixed Spice

Method;

stir all ingredients together until they form a floppy mix. Empty into a shalllow oven tray and spread out until the mix covers the whole tray. Bake at 180 o C for approx 45 - 60 mins. It is cooked when you can stick a knife into the ingredients and it comes out clean.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for approx 10 - 15 mins. Sprinkle 1 dessert spoon of Caster Sugar over it all. - Voila !!! - Bread Pudding !!!

jagerhans and Candy Gal like this.
  3. cayo

cayo Members

that's almost the same recipe I use except I use milk instead of orange juice and I add some butter, i'll try it with orange juice next time.

Candy Gal likes this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

The reason I use orange juice is because I detest milk - nasty 'orrible stuff !!!

5. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I never knew that.

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Blue corn is sometimes called Hopi Corn . It can be grown most anywhere . Grind into flour . This
    can be cooked as a gruel or fried as flat griddle cakes . When mixed with wheat flour you make
    risen cornbread . I'll often make stove-top cornbread . And with other Indian corns as well .

To make bean flour , I first thoroughly soak the raw beans . Then slow-roast them until the original
    moisture % is restored . Grind . This product can be added to a bread recipe or perhaps soup or
    whatever . Roasting significantly increases the bean's dietary protein potential . The bean flour
    just mixed with a good quality oil makes a paste , a butter .

There are many types of small grinders for home-use . Mine has a fly-wheel and can be hand-cranked
    or powered (as by an electric motor) . The one I have is average quality .

Candy Gal likes this.
  7. Candy Gal

That is good to know.
    I am hoping all I following this thread.
    As none of us know, how long these shortages will go on.

Thank-you

8. Nebulous

Nebulous Carpe diem

30AA6C33-3643-490D-81A2-D1E94005D0C5.jpeg

Anyone make good cinnamon raisin bread? I love that toasted with cream cheese on top

jagerhans, cayo and Candy Gal like this.
  9. cayo

cayo Members

Mmmm now that sounds good

Candy Gal likes this.
  10. Candy Gal

Oh, it is.

Nebulous and cayo like this.
  11. Vladimir Illich

There is Cinnamon, All Spice and Mixed Spice in the Bread Pudding I make !!!

jagerhans and Candy Gal like this.
  12. cayo

cayo Members

Another one added to the cooking list, thanks.

Candy Gal likes this.
  13. Candy Gal

Maybe you can treat your Dad. xxxx

cayo likes this.
  14. Vladimir Illich

There is another one matey - Plum sponge pudding & Custard !!!

Place (washed) plums in a saucepan and cover with water, add 3 - 4 Oz of sugar and heat gently DO NOT BOIL !!! until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In the meantime make vioctoria sponge and add a few drops of vanilla essence to the mixture.

When the plums are cool enough to handle, slice them in half and remove stones. Place plums (flat side down) in a shallow oven dish. cover with the sponge mixture and then decorate with flaked almonds. place in a pre-heated oven for approx 30 - 45mins until sponge has risen and is cooked through. Remove from heat and once again allow to cool. Serve with custard !!!

15. Vladimir Illich

Place (washed) plums in a saucepan and cover with water, add 3 - 4 Oz of sugar and heat gently DO NOT BOIL !!! until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In the meantime make vioctoria sponge and add a few drops of vanilla essence to the mixture.

When the plums are cool enough to handle, slice them in half and remove stones. Place plums (flat side down) in a shallow oven dish. cover with the sponge mixture and then decorate with flaked almonds. place in a pre-heated oven for approx 30 - 45mins until sponge has risen and is cooked through. Remove from heat and once again allow to cool. Serve with custard !!!

16. Vladimir Illich

jagerhans likes this.
  17. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Hey Candy.:hearteyes:
    Think on this!

[​IMG]

Candy Gal likes this.
  18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

These shortages ? a blip
    Corn bread and beans (and squash) is the traditional food of the Americas . Or , be an American - play the banjo .

Candy Gal likes this.
  19. Candy Gal

I have no idea, panic buying is continuing in the UK.
    I don't think many can play the banjo, although a burst on your banjo means go for a wee in the UK.

20. Candy Gal