the boss mang

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Inavacuum, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

Well unfortunately I havent posted any progress pictures lately, but hopefully I'llg et aorund to that. Anyhow, my dreads are to the point where if you saw me you would establish the connection that whats on my head are dreads. At work, a company that ordered 150 cabinets from us is opening a new factory and wants to order 300, bigger, more complex cabinets and they want 6 a week. (i stiff task, involves hiring atleast 2 new employees and a lot of work). The company (Gemesis) is coming to audit us to see if they think we can handle it. Among remodeling the office and doing junk removal (our warehouse, work shop, and office is based on an old farm property and when they left, they left heaps of old garbage, tires, scrap metal, wood, downded trees, you name it its there) and doing some landscaping, he wants me to cut my hair. It hasnt gotten to the point where its a lose job/keep job situation but I think it will here in the next few weeks. I dont see how he could afford to fire me, but he'll probably threaten to drop my wages to 6 an hour from 10 and stop paying me bonuses. What to do......?

I offered to pull it back, wear a tam, hat etc. He says none of that is acceptable, he wants it cut.

EDIT-I've been working there for almost a year and told him I've been letting my hair dread since I started and that I've got too much time invested in my hair to cut it and he laughed.....menacingly haha

2. bunjies

bunjies Member

surely that cant be legal? threatening to cut your wages if you dont cut your hair???!!!!

3. DayUSeX

DayUSeX Member

o you are fine i went though a similar situation

Basically what you have to do, is say, you dont pay me enough to cut my hair. I made the compromise that most of my hair is covered all the time (bandana and hair tie), and even got a raise out of it. If you need mroe indepth advice shoot me a message and i can help yo out

4. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

luckily ill be working in a tattoo shop muahahahahaha

5. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

Does your company have a handbook? Is there anything in it about appearance & having non-messy hair? If so then I would be worried. If not, then boss man has no say whatsoever & if he drops your wages take his ass to court. Especially seeing as you've worked there for a year and he hasn't had any problems until now.

6. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

this is where it gets semi complicated. I work at a small company. My boss is the owner, founder, and president of the company. So its pretty much anything he says goes as far as rules and regulations.

7. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

if your in the US, that is illegal.........i would flat out tell him you won't do it, see what he says, and if he threatens to fire you or drop your wages, tell him your taking him to court, then follow through. what he is telling you to do is flat out discrimination.

8. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

i dont think I like my job enough to do all that though

9. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

lol, good point.........well in your case (if it was me, and I had that attitude) I would just tell him "NO WAY, NO HOW" and if he gives you shit about it, tell him you'll start looking for another job if he feels that way...........sounds like he probably needs you so that will probably end it, but if he's an asshole about it..........you don't need that negativity in your life anyway.

10. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

Yes, but these things need to be in writing so that they are clear to everyone who works for the company. Otherwise it's just asking for lawsuits. Besides, if you don't like the job then let him fire you and collect some unemployment.