The Black Panthers

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Becknudefck, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

How many of you actually think what the Black Panther Party did and was about was kewl? Ever since my research project on them I've felt thta they were some of the kewlest people trying o make a difference. No matter what some people may think, they were not criminals and started out with a non violent approach but the cops soon chasnged that. It was only a fight for Civil Rights. Hey, even after that there was the Brown Power thing with Oscar Acosta. If you know who i mean......Hunter S. Thompson, Oscar Acosta, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas......the real thing that is.

2. NODRAMAMAMA

NODRAMAMAMA Member

Did you know that there is a new Black Panther party? They (the man) tried to eliminate them(pretty effectively I might add)but they could only get rid of the people, the leaders. The spirt of the movement was still there. This is why the party is slowly but surely regaining momentum. and just like the terminator "They'll be back!"

3. Vae Victus

Vae Victus Member

The Black Panthers did more for equality than all the MLKs of this world ever could. Equality will not be gained by resisting the cops' billy clubs with your skull.

4. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I'm sorry to say I don't know as much about the Blank Panthers as I should, but one my father told me one time he was in college, he was mistaken for being a part of the Black Panthers.
    I had heard about a new Black Panther party a couple of years ago. But I haven't heard about them.

Whether you loved or hated them, they seem to be an unforgettable part of the 60s. I love the fact they were anit-establishment and very much against the Vietnam War.

5. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

becknudefck, could you enlighten me...what did the black panthers do? i know they were a real important part of the 60s and they helped change a lot of things, but i dont know what they did.

6. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

^^Cops in the poorer, generally black parts of town would beat people(think Rodney King). It was happening alot for no reason(most of the time). So, some guys got together and started following cop cars around. Back then, in california, you could were able to legally film officers. You could also carry automatic rifles out in public, so they did that too. Well, the two guys who started the party were lawyers(i think) and they pretty much films all these guys getting beat by cops, then (using the footage) suppoted them in court. Most of these people could'nt afford lawyers, so it worked out good. Later on though, I think things started getting bad, with more suppoters for black power than equal rights. That was pretty much how I understood things, but be free to correct me if I'm wrong. You can still observe a police officer from up to 20 feet, but no cameras, tapes, or (obviously) fire arms.

MC5 and some other people working with the black panthers started WhitePan(the white panthers) which is pretty much like the black panthers, but a total fight against all the 60's white suburan society. It supported art, reading, writing, drugs, and freedom. It's where "Kick out the Jams" came from.

I did'nt realize the above post was directed to beck, sorry.

7. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

I was a big fan of the dirty 30. In Louisville, KY, during the race rioting there, the cops simply couldn't handle the crowds. So they brought 30 state troopers from Southern Kentucky (where i am from and totally redneck) to handle them. I have no love of the black panthers, the KKK is wrong and the BP's are just as bad, just because you are black doesn't give you a right to hate white people.

8. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

Grievous, no offense but you have no idea what you're talking about. You need to do some extensive research into the Black Panther Party. The BPP set up free meals for inner city children of all races. They organized programs to get people off of drugs and get medical help. This is a small portion of the things they did.

The major thing is, they had a sister organization dubbed the White Panther Party. But you don't learn that one in brainwash camp, er, school.

"Don't talk about it unless you know about it" - moms

9. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

Really i only read about the rioting and the burning of harlem they were behind, sorry but i guess Mark Kurlansky lied in his book 1968.

10. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

You're pure genious my man.

11. beachbum7

The Black Panthers never hated white people. They hated many things the establishment did.

12. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about!

13. Spoonybard

Spoonybard Member

Almost everybody I've come across view the Black Panthers as a black supremacist group. Very far from the truth. Abbie Hoffman donated all of his earnings from his first book, Revolution for the Hell of It ($25,000) to the Black Panthers. Later they would meet again in the Chicago 8 (later 7) trial, and Bobby Seale - a member of the Black Panthers and also of the Chicago 8, was tried with the other 7 with conspiracy to incite riot. It later become 7 when Bobby Seale was given 4 years for comtempt and was tried seperately.

14. Bambi

Bambi Member

I'll try not to cringe at the use of the word "kewl", and hope you'll consider a writing class.

I worked with the Panthers in the late sixties and early seventies. I remember the school lunch programs, education projects and the attempt to get the military trained Oakland cops to chill.

I'm not sure what Hunter Thompson has to do with this thread, but hey wtf.

Anyway....I saw the Panthers get zapped through the agent provacatuers (and other attackers) who infiltrated and brought the whole thing down. In later movements, people were way more savvy to the ways of those coming in and encouraging people do do illegal, stupid and violent acts.

I worked closely with Angela Davis' sister, Fania, and the women of the Panthers. We were all concerned with the future of our children: black, white, red, yellow or brown.

Madame Bambi

15. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

well actually im very familiar with the black panther party. when you get a chance look up W.E.B. Dubois. he did a lot of important things back in the day. anyways..he has one son who is still alive named David who is about 70 and my mom is his personal assistant and he is a close family friend. he is the coolest person ive ever met. hes seen so much stuff in his day and he has all these pictures in his house with black panthers and even Martin Luther King Jr. We were going to go with him to this event in Washington D.C. A lot of black leaders from around world were going to attend. David called my house about 3 weeks ago and told us that it was cancelled and know one knows why...very strange

16. Warrior

Warrior Banned

Have I accidentally stumbled into an all black site or what? I have rarely seen so many misinformed people in one room. Grievous Angel is the closest to the truth of the lot of you. They were called Black Panthers because they believed in an agenda that was totally black, otherwise I am sure they would have called themselves Rainbow Ducks or some other equally definitive name. Of course they hated the "establishment", it represented Whiteys control over thier lives. In the 60s most of the people who had "tuned in and dropped out" were lame little spoiled suburbanite White kids who had had very little contact with blacks and were easily swayed to believe that by assissting the Panthers they were stricking a blow against the mighty "White establishment" that was behind Viet Nam and was conservative. Of course to a bunch of little brats who wanted free love and everything to be "rosy", being conservative and holding morals was anti-them. It was easy for jewish antagonizers (such as Hoffman) to influence them, to condition them to believe that anything, ANYTHING, ant-establishment was good.

Backtothelab says, "MC5 and some other people working with the black panthers started WhitePan(the white panthers) which is pretty much like the black panthers, but a total fight against all the 60's white suburan society." And is correct. If you will notice the WhitePans purpose was to "fight against all the 60's white suburan society." If the Black Panther Party and the WhitePan Party were not anti-White then why was destroying the White suburban society thier #1 focus?
    Before calling someone such as Grevous Angel uninformed, I think you need to inform yourselves.
    One quick question: Why has it become so popular to make heros of every black and every black organization (including hate groups, such as the Panthers) simply because they are black? I am not saying that there are not blacks who truly stood for equallity and fought for it, but comon, heros of Angela Davis and the Black Panthers?

17. beachbum7

Whether you loved or hated them, the Black Panthers were an unforgettable part of the 60s. The Black Panthers agenda was mainly empowering an segment of the population that hadn't been empowered (While we're at it, there are others organization who are trying to do the same thing). Were they supposed to be happy that "Whitey" controlled their lives? The Black Panthers weren't the only segment of society that wanted to make radical changes in America then (the SDS was also another).

Every black orginization is not a hero. What makes you think that?

18. Warrior

Warrior Banned

I replied to this post once and somehow I hit the wrong "button" and lost it. I will try again.
    I did not say that every black org. was a hero. Reread my post. I ask a question. I did not give an answer.

beachbum says:"The Black Panthers agenda was mainly empowering an segment of the population that hadn't been empowered"
    And I say: Why should they have been, or even now, be empowered? What do they bring to the table? Racist, hate Whitey bullshit? I do not owe them "empowerment". As adults, they should EARN that. I see nothing that they show otherwise. Everyone in America who is worth a nickel works for it.
    Black Panthers, now or then, were racist, destroy Whitey, punks. I will not apologize for these words. They are "Whitey owes me" kind of people. But in reality, they owe "Whitey". Had it not been for Whitey, the same blacks who made up the BPP might be dinner on some other Africans table. Think I am lying? I can post cannibal pictures for you.
    Anyway this thread is about the BPP. We are detracting from that and I personally would rather not. I can honestly say that the most informed person among you here is G. Angel.

19. Mui

Mui Senior Member

the black panther party fucking rocks... this coming from a white boy... i support them 160%. if you disagree with me, you are a fascist.

nothing but a group of comrades to me... revolutionaries... freedom fighters... the real heros..

20. Warrior

Warrior Banned

This is how White liberals deal with things. They automatically label anyone who disagrees with them. Instead of that would you please give us some evidence that the BPP was "freedom fighters".