1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Anyone read it? Far out, huh?
    I've read parts, a bit here and there, and all of genesis. Can anyone recommend a really good books. I've read alot of Mark, and that was good. Some parts of the book just get boring sometimes, preaching all over the place.

2. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I love the Book of Job, mainly for it's beautifull poetry.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Hmmm I've never really considered the Bible from a literature angle. And being a humanist have never wanted to read it for the original purpose.

Saying that I quite fancy reading the laws (due.... whatever it is) and revelation just out of morbid curiosity.

For several reasons I've always had at least one copy. Currently I've only one, more for sentimental value than anything (it was a gift for being bridesmaid). The rest hadn't been touched for years and were just gathering dust

TTFN

Sage

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Proverbs and Revelation. I hate Genisis because absolutly nothing adds up.

5. m6m

m6m Member

Adam and Eve, when looked at as metaphore, is a poignant discription of our collective fall and descent into this worldly pit of Civilization.

Eden is a State of Being; a State of Nature; a State of Centered Wholistic Oneness and Grace.

Eve represents our weak effeminate desires to be seduced by our insecurities and fears.

The ubiquitous 'death-fear' that mesmerized us into the simple 'fight or flight' dualisms of the fear-driven stress of the re-actionary mind.

The Eve within each of us is seduced by the 'worldly spell cast by the Serpent's forked tongue.'

The worldly dualistic spell bearing the fruit of the tree of the 'knowledge of good and evil'.

The delusion of the separation between good and evil.
    The separation between the knower and the known.
    Between object and subject.

In the Garden there is no delusion; there is no separation.
    In the Garden we are the immortal child, in a State of Being, innocent, pure and whole.

To enter the kingdom of heaven you must be born again as a child.

Between the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and the Gospel of Jesus, there is nothing in the Bible of equal magnitude and meaning.

6. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Yes... Because the entire book of Genisis was Adam and Eve. I mean all of it. The bible is supposedly a literal thing acording to teh absolute truthers. Its supposidly the writings of direct followers of the diciples. Some of the big ones that stuck out at me were how the hell did Adam and Eve know how to sew and were did they get the materials? Another was how Noah lived way beyond the age God decreed. Way beyond. Doesnt make much scence to me

7. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Yeah, people lived to be like 700, 800, 900 years old. What's all this of sense and logic?

8. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Ok... obviouslly I need to quote.
    Genesis 6:3
    "Then the Lord said, My Spitit shall not forever dwell [and] strive with man, for he is also flesh: But his days shall yet be 120 years."
    Genesis 9:29
    "All the days of Noah were 950 years, and he died"
    Now granted that Noah was 500 (Genisis 5:32) when he was commanded to build the arc... after his purpose was served, wouldnt he wither and die? Many reasons like this is why I interpert the bible as only fiction. I choose to have my own personal connection with the Divine.

9. m6m

m6m Member

Remember, we're dealing with Mytho-Poetic Archetypes here.

The conscious attempt of a group of marauding nomads to unravel their collective sub-conscious experience through Myth.

Dredging up clues from their long forgotten past.

Their references to the long lives of the ancients, is their attempt to describe how they had once lived in a State of Being, and experienced time differently from us who have fallen into the Civilized State.

When living in a State of Being; a State of Nature, every moment is a child-like eternity.

Where as the further we fall from that Paradise; fall under the Serpent's worldly spell, the less awake we are to the present moment, and the more our psychotic delusions of alienated separation separate us from our own living experience.

A Civilized life is falling asleep, then waking up in time to die.

10. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I've read it, sure. I find the dead sea scrolls fascinating though. Also big fan of the Book of Enoch

11. renee

renee Member

I love Psalms. :cool:

12. Smudge

Smudge Member

Have you got any favourites, and have you read any in the Message version...some of them are wonderful in that version...

Psalm 139 (The Message)..or some of it..
    you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother's womb.
    14I thank you, High God--you're breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration--what a creation!
    15You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
    You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
    16Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you

You can get any of the bible, including the Psalms in the Message version, or many other versions and languages, with just a click or two..http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

13. show_girl

show_girl Member

iv'e read parts of the bible but i don't believe any of it. i have so many reasons to not appreciate christian believes but i won't go into that right now because every time i do i get really pissed off.

14. sasja

sasja Member

i've readed the bible, when i was bored, and god, i never slept so well

:p

15. Meeshka Chaukinov

Meeshka Chaukinov Senior Member

i've read moments of it, and i think that revelations kicks nearly every other sci-fi book in the arse. genisis bores me, and alot of it seems rather reduntant and boring to me, but it definitely has it's high points.

16. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

for some reason i find the bible the greatest book, looking at it from a religious wya or not. its got everything you need...philosophy, stories, lessons, gory stuff, peaceful moments, romance, and it all comes together. its written so beautifully.

what i really enjoy mostly is elijah, he was an amazing prophet. check it out sometime :)

17. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

i've read parts of it, however, it's not really my thing

18. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Dueterotomy and Leviticus are facinating. Makes for good arguments when you argue with Bible Bangers who claim "I follow the Bible to the letter!" Really, do they have slaves? Do they put their toilet more than 200 paces from where they eat and drink and sleep?(Not doing THIS is an "abomination" on par with when a "man lies with a man" or probaby worse!) Do they not beleive in mixing different fibers in the same cloth? Do they have a couple of wives? GREAT reading.

I had to read the Bible in college. We had a lot of fun with Deuterotomy and Leviticus. I remember our Old Testement Professor, trying to get us to read, saying "Wait until you get to the Songs of Solomon, there is some good sex in there!" (I still got the Cliff Notes in order to finish the entire thing, how many "begots...." can you read?")

19. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

its boring to me no offense.

peace
    chickens

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Member

It all depends on what your're looking for. Each book of the bible has a theme, I of course haven't read it in ages, but from what I remeber if you want a love story read Song of Songs or Song of soloman(it varies from version to version).

If you want a moving story about family and respect, and change, read Ruth. If you want a story about perseverance, and faith read Job. If you want a story about the life and times of Jesus read John. If you want a story about a man getting swallowed by a fish read Jonah. If you want a story about the end of the world read Revelation. The Bible definitely has a little bit of everything in it.