The Bible

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Bocks, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

Not THE Bible, but rather, a hippie haven in pages.

I'm trying to find a work that evokes the spirit of peace, love, unity, consciousness, etc. I'm trying to find THE hippie book.

I realise this is similar to the Best Hippie Book thread, but it's a little different. Not necessarily the most enjoyable; just the one, in your opinions, that really channels The Hippie.

Thoughts?

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

give away your books

start movin'

3. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

Oh, I plan to. I'm actually static at the moment while I save up to travel. In the meantime, I need some readin' material. :D

4. wa bluska wica

the more 'hippie' you live, the more likely you are not to have a choice

read anything, learn everything, believe what makes sense

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

learn by doing.

6. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Almathea likes this.
  7. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

I intend to learn by doing when I'm volunteering on organic farms across the US and Canada next year. In the meantime, I'm trying not to restrict myself by reading everything and anything I can get my hands on, when I've finished my 9-5. I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations.

Cheers!

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Stranger in a Strange land

Also, are you talking about WWOOFing? That's a really neat program. I really would like to do it but I just can't seem to schedule the time.

9. pshamous

pshamous Member

the new testiment.

10. paperairplane

paperairplane Banned

Uh-Oh by Robert Fulghum (such a great book)

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk

Mother Maiden & Crone D.J. Conway

The Power of Now Eckart Tolle

the Nihongi

Love Poems From God - Daniel Ladinsky

The Secret Teachings of Plants by Stephen Harrod Bunner

The Platform Sutra

11. wa bluska wica

i remember a book that i always thought helped one achieve hippiness

it was printed on a single sheet of paper, and you read it under your tongue

12. LAGoff

LAGoff Member

What's wrong with the "Bible"? I'm impressed at how far we've come from a Bible-based culture to what I see here on forums like this.

I have a question, and I'd like your felt-feeling responses to it.
    Where do you put the Bible in your "diet"?

What is going on in your mind in regards to the Bible?

Is all this "hipness" meaningful(in the Ultimate sense)?

As for me, I read "hip" books for fun- being Religious(Jewish); but it seems that you read your "hip" books books "religiously", as if you are getting your main spiritual diet from them.

This is not a condemnation. I just wonder about this.

I see this as the most important question, in the sense of, "Tell me a person's religio-spiritual beliefs, and then we can[- to be facetious- ]move on to more 'important' things".

13. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Try wrapping your head around "The Secret Doctrine" by Madam Blavatsky. It's actually to volumes.

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The bible was put together by Constantine's priests. Most ancient scripture isn't even in the bible. It was put together by priests that wanted to control the masses, which they did for 1,500 years i.e. the Catholic church. Try reading The Testament of Solomon, it's full of magic, casting spells on demons, and Astrology. Supposedly Solomon put spells on demons and made them build the temple. Other ancient scriptures are the Dead Sea Scrolls,the Kabala and the Zohar.

15. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I see that there has been quite a few check out my last post, so you may be interested in what brought me to the for mentioned books. It's one of the most fascinating books I've read. It's call "The Secret doctrine", written by Madam Blavatsky. She wrote the two volumes in 1888. She was considered a 19th century Nostradamus. In her later life, she hung out with Edgar Casey. It took me three years to read. She connects Atlantis, Kabala, Hindu, Muslem, Christian, Zuni, Hopi, Mayan, Inca, and ancient Chinese scriptures with Darwin, Newton, and Galileo sciences. Her in depth research is mind boggling, especially for 1888.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I doubt they exclude those books for mass-controlling purposes. By the way, weren't the Dead sea scrolls still lost at that point?

17. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Here's just one paragraph. Volume II page 353

The reasons for this singularity have been made clear in this work. But it shows only that there were several Deluges mixed up in the momories and traditions of the sub-races of the fifth race. The first great "Flood" was astronomical and cosmical, while several others were terrestrial. Yet, this did not prevent our very learned friend Mr. Gerald Massey-- and Initiate truly in the mysteries of the British Museum, still only a Self-initiate--from declaring and insisting that the Atlantean submersion and Deluge were only the anthropomorphized fancies of ignorant people; and that Atlantis was no better than an astronomical allegory. Nevertheless, the great Zodiacal allegory is based upon historical events, and one can hardly interfere with the other; and it stands to reason that every student of Occultism knows what that astronomical and zodiacal allegory means. Smith shows in the Nimrod Epic of the Assyrian tablets the real meaning of it. Its "twelve cantos" refer to the annual course of the Sun through the twelve months of the year. Each tablet answers to a special month, and contains a distinct reference to the animal forms in the sign of the Zodiac" ; the eleven canto being "consecrated to Rimmon, the God of Storms and of rain, and harmonies with the eleventh sign of the Zodiac--Aquarius, or the waterman" (Nineteenth Century, 1882,p.236) But even this is preceded in the old records by the pre-astronomical Cosmic FLOOD, which became allegorized and symbolized in the above Zodiacal or Noah's Flood. But this has nothing to do with Atlantis. The Pyramids are closely connected with the ideas of both the Great Dragon (the constellation), the "Dragons of Wisdom," or the great Initiates of the Third and Fourth Races, and the Floods of the Nile, regarded as a divine reminder of the great Atlantic Flood. The astronomical records of Universal history, however, are said to have had their beginnings with the Third Sub-race of the Fourth Root-race or the Atlanteans. When was it? Occult data show that even since the time of the regualr Establishment of the Zodiacal calculations in Egypt, the poles have been thrice inverted.

Now imagine 1600 pages of this.

18. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I agree that the exact set of books that make up the Christian Bible varies from one section of Christendom to another, but there is general agreement to accept the Hebrew Bible and agreement over the four gospels and most of the Pauline epistles.

The early Roman church canonized the set of New Testament books that seemed right to them, but these books had been around for centuries.

It's not a perfect process, but the Bible I have in my hands is good enough to be my guide to life and eternity.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nice, typical 19th century occult science.

20. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

"
    [​IMG]
    Like this post? [​IMG] | [​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjhangover [​IMG]
    The bible was put together by Constantine's priests. Most ancient scripture isn't even in the bible. It was put together by priests that wanted to control the masses, which they did for 1,500 years i.e. the Catholic church. Try reading The Testament of Solomon, it's full of magic, casting spells on demons, and Astrology. Supposedly Solomon put spells on demons and made them build the temple. Other ancient scriptures are the Dead Sea Scrolls,the Kabala and the Zohar.

I doubt they exclude those books for mass-controlling purposes. By the way, weren't the Dead sea scrolls still lost at that point?

Yes the Dead Sea Scrolls were undiscovered, but there were volumes of Scripture that was left out of the Christian bible. There were Twelve apostles, but only four gospels. The gospels of eight apostles were left out, and much more. Did you know that there is a gospel of mary? Did you know that Adam's first wife was Lilith?