The Beauty in Sadness

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by dietcoketree, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

I find myself fascinated and raptured by sadness. I'm going through a breakup, and theres nothing more raw and beautiful to me than feeling at your lowest; depending on only hopes for a better day to keep you living.

I love images and pictures that convey an emotional helplessness; falling victum to your feelings is so attractive to me. Songs, stories, and just ideas of sadness (like a dying flower) are so beautiful.

Anyone else see the beauty and tender nature of sadness, or am I just kind of creepy?

2. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I think a lot of people feel this way from time to time especially when dealing with something emotionally difficult like a breakup. I think part of it is, a way to protect you... if sadness was all bad, all the time, for everyone, we would all be suicidal.

But not just that, I think there's a deep connection between sadness and art, and we associate sadness with artful things... such as you said music, poetry, etc. When we are sad, and emotionally just DOWN, we become more expressive, as a natural way to cope with, and get over with what we're dealing with... Sad songs, poetry, art, etc just always seem to be more heartfelt, and genuine.

I don't think this is abnormal to experience sometimes... however, if you are constantly feeling like this for more than months at a time, that's probably not healthy. Once that sadness is unnecessary anymore, you need to take yourself away from the "beauty" of it, otherwise you are just going to create sadness for yourself... I know, because I have done that before. If you become too fixated on it, it can be unhealthy.

However like I said... sometimes, when you're dealing with a tough situation, I think it's normal.

Also, I think sadness can be "beautiful" because it's so fragile and delicate... unlike happiness which is strong, and vibrant... And for whatever reason it may be, humans seem to find fragile and delicate things beautiful most of the time.

3. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

What the hell is so beautiful about being sad? I hate feeling like this.

4. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

I think sadness is too broad a term, or maybe not the right word. What causes the sadness, imo, is the important factor. A breakup, or death of a friend is a loss... someone that understood us, that we were connected to, is gone. A hole has been made, and we try to fill this hole with something that understands us, something that expresses this sadness we feel.

On a related note, this is probably the reason emo has become so popular... the casual dating that's taken over in modern times means backstabbing bitches leave more wreckage in their wake, and this wreckage has become a market... a market with guitarists that can't sing.

5. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

"I miss the comfort of being sad" Frances Farmer will have her revenge on Seattle. Nirvana

I agree that there is a certain morbid beauty of sadness. Depression is not beautiful. I would rather be sad for the rest of my life than be majorly depressed once. As others have said, sadness can be a muse for the arts. I know some of my favorite art works were produced while sad.

Sorry, I don't want to repeat what has already been said and done.

peace and love

6. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

I think I said this idea in a bad way... I've ALWAYS found something so beautiful in the vulnerablitliy of feeling something so strongly. Usually pain and sadness are the most intense emotions. Im not saying I like feeling that way, I just think the vulnerability and fragilness of it is beautiful. I really dont like the lables, like 'emo' and 'goth', because I think thats just an image for attention. You dont have to be goth or emo to feel hurt (obviously, you guys know that..)

and i agree, the artfull aspect of it is definitly my favorite. i love nothing more than a sad song or a black and white photo of a sad feeling emotion.

7. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

The Beauty of Sad Sex.

You are sad.
    You have sex.
    It is beautiful.

8. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

um... right.

lol your input baffles me.

9. prismatism

prismatism loves you

you're happy when everything is going smoothly and there are no problems to be solved... at least, most people are.

you're sad when you have to face the things happiness put out of your mind, and accept them as real. i don't want to say "sadness is the truth", because happiness is the truth too. but facing fear, accepting what you once avoided, growing and digging through your own thoughts and feelings, is beautiful.

you were talking about a relationship. i think one of the most beautiful times in a relationship is right before it begins, when there is uncertainty and intensity and even a smile means you float for a week. but over all, you have a kind of sadness. when you finally get together with a person, it's beautiful, but that sad, longing beauty disappears. when you have everything, there is nothing to want.

10. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

There's something to be said for being sad...
    A relationship ends and people tend to get sad...but somewhere in there they realize they no longer have to worry about the relationship ending...about those little things in their partner they hated...etc...maybe they find solace in being 'on the hunt' again...

sometimes people love the feeling of 'at least now it happened and it can't get worse' or something similair.

And some of us just learn to redirect our emotions and feelings...

11. prismatism

prismatism loves you

it's amazing how often i feel the need to make a fight club reference..