The Andy Griffith Show

Discussion in 'Classic TV' started by Big Bull, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Strange Days

Strange Days Member

I love this show. I was so heartbroken when Don Knotts died...I don't think I've ever been so upset to hear a celebrity had died. My aunt called to tell me and I remember I cried that night. Gomer Pyle is my favorite character, besides Barney. I'm a huge Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. fan, too.

2. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

me too, man!!

i love it. i want to live in mayberry.
    andy's gotten me through some tough times, lol.
    and barney fife is my heroooo... ;)

3. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

I loved Andy Griffith!! Gr8 Show..

4. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

did anyone see one of the later ones (i don't remember if it was in color or not) where opie was a teenager and this little neighbor boy idolized him, but op started hanging out with a girl he liked, and ditched the little boy?

op and the girl (awkwardly) danced to records at the record shop, and said 'groovy' a lot.
    it literally made me cringe, but it was ssooo hysterical.

5. KatieMarrie

KatieMarrie Member

I own seasons 1-4. They make me smile.

6. waukegan

waukegan Member

there were so many great characters,of course andy,opie,aunt bea,floyd the barber and the mayor.when i saw the story in today's paper about the president telling mayors to not be wasteful about spending the economic stimulus money i started thinking how the mayor and mayberry would react to this.remember the episode where a hollywood producer wants to make a movie in mayberry?the citizens of the town go a little overboard trying to impress the film makers.edit barney was my favorite character.

7. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

...op and the girl (awkwardly) danced to records at the record shop, and said 'groovy' a lot. it literally made me cringe, but it was ssooo hysterical.

Too bad they didn't do a "Merry Pranksters pass through Mayberry" episode. Imagine Barney Fife (sp?) on acid. No, better yet, Aunt Bea- she'd go around hugging everyone. I think Andy would get kind of reclusive and paranoid. The town drunk guy would go clean from alcohol and start wearing multitudes of bizarre hats. Op' would decide not to drop any, but instead focus on smoking as much weed as possible while getting lessons in life from Cassidy. Oh, and Jerry and the boys jammin' on the porch, doin' a killer Cumberland Blues.

8. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

A great,great show!-One of the best tv shows ever made.However only the black and white episodes that of course feature Don Knotts.The color episodes while pleasant are very ordinary. Also notice that the black and white shows were actually filmed like a good movie is filmed.How come they don't even come close to making great television like this anymore?

9. waukegan

waukegan Member

i wonder sometimes if it is a collective writers block.sarcasm here:what with the writer's strike being over we should be getting better shows.(laugh track)much of today's so called comedies seem to be filled with crude humor and put downs.i think the people that put together the griffith show were better trained and had life experiences unlike the today's.(the great depression,the world wars,vaudeville,regionalism.).....the set designers created a fictional town off the main road that was a very nice place to visit every week...i agree the shows were very nicely filmed and seemed to have resisted the urge to film before a studio audience.it seems to me black and white film works better for many t.v shows and movies....i also liked mayberry rfd but like has been said it wasn't quite up to the standard of the original shows.but i think some of the newcomers to the town made good additions to television comedy...........edit: barney locks himself in the jail cell....again...........the cast and crew of the older television shows also often had worked on radio programs.

10. Mike21484

Mike21484 Member

It's kind of hard to explain really!...I mean it's kinda like growing up in the 60s,especially if you grew up in a 'happenin' place....you can't go back home again!...it was a once in time/space experience...we can come close,but never really duplicate it again....you can't even explain it successfully to people who weren't there and went through it--they can KINDA get it,but only mentally..they can't get that 'feeling' that goes with it, and that's the important part. That simple innocent country living is very limited in this day and age. I mean, our local Opie can still walk to school here in the country,but problem is..instead of the local kid bully waiting to take his milk money,like in the episode ...he's been replaced by the drug dealer from Detroit who last week killed three high school kids for being in the wrong place at the wrong time drug deal goin' down(true local story by the way!)....would that we could be Mayberry again!

11. zillagod

zillagod Member

I loved and still love the Andy Griffith Show. Dont like the ones in color, only the ones in B/W. I think the best episodes, and I am surprised no one here mentioned it, was the ones with the Dillards who played the Darlin boys, and Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darlin, and the cute Maggie Peterson as Charlene Darlin, later Charlene Wash.

12. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

RE: the Andy griffith Show:
    1. Andy is from Mount Airy NC
    2. yeah things have changed! last I heard about Mount airy is that they were having a firefight trying to decide where to put the latest strip joint!
    3. has anybody else seen the episode of where the guy is being a supsect of everything? The man had a wife who was giving birth out in the middle of nowhere. When Andy and Barney were surveying the man Barney suggested the reason he was plowing the fields was to plant marijuana!! Back in the day this about caused the show to be canceled! Ahh to go back to the simple life huh?

13. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

Howard Morris was one of the real movers and shakers back in the 60s tv nation. While he was a well known character actor he also made quite a name for himself as a director. One of the shows I remember he directed on was Hogans Heros! read the credits and you might be surprised with who really did what back in the day!

14. GeddyR

GeddyR Member

One of my all time fav shows. The B&W episodes are the best. I didn't care as much for the colored ones

15. OneOfTheDifference

OneOfTheDifference Member

I adored the Andy Griffith show too! Big Bull - you mentioned one of my favorite episodes too - the one where that old lady was selling the car who seemed real sweet, but was really a "Ma Barker" kind of a lady! And Otis was funny too - the way he would come and lock himself in jail for the night! And then, Aunt Bea would always bring the "prisoners" home-cooked meals!

I think one of my other favorites was the one that Shaggie mentioned called "Citizen's Arrest!" In that one, Barney got all bent outta shape 'cause Andy made him write himself a ticket in front of the whole town for doing the same thing he wrote Gomer a ticket for - and so Barney slapped his badge & gun belt on Andy's desk and quit; and then locked himself in jail as a protest! The next morning, Andy comes in to work, and Barney's still there in the cell, but now he's smoking cigarettes and calling Andy a "Screw" - it was so funny!

What the people who lived in the town of Mayberry had, was a "sense of community" - something that you don't see too much of anymore in our country. And, I fully agree with Shaggie again, when he said that the shows on TV these days are totally different. The Andy Griffith Show, like a lot of other TV shows during that era of television, portrayed a more wholesome & simpler time; when folks were nice to each other; and many of the shows delivered positive, good moral messages that demonstrated the right choice versus the wrong choice decisions; and the outcomes from each. I find what cable has to offer today so displeasing that I choose not to even have it. When I visit friends who have cable, the shows that I have seen them watching are just appalling - and such a drastic departure from shows like Andy Griffith. They are glued to all this violent Vampire crap and an endless "variety" of shows about people killing each other, etc. Say what you want, when people watch crap like that day after day, instead of having good input from a show about the town and it's citizens like Mayberry - they're watching people kill each other and liking it;
    it has an ultimate effect.

I am of the opinion that this fully controlled cable TV is designed to dumb down America - I just can't see it any other way. There's a reason why the Powers That Be suddenly took control over our viewing choices, and it's not just about money. That really pissed me off when the government disallowed us from being able to just turn on our television and tune in to Channel 9 by capturing the waves flying through the air.

But, getting off that rant, you know guys, everyone who participated in this thread who really liked the town of Mayberry - that might be a good idea to start a new thread to discuss what we each need to do to participate in bringing back that sense of community in our neighborhoods again. Think about it: would it not be a better world every day if we felt that sense of unity amongst each other? Let's discuss it and try. It's gotta start somewhere.

16. 56olddog

56olddog Member

It was/is classic television -- they just don't make 'em like that anymore!

17. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Yup what a show . An all time classic . I agree the black and white early ones were the best . I didn't care much for the color ones . And when Barney left it was finished .

lol I think our age is showing !

Yeah citizens arrest was one of my favorites too . As well as the " dynamite goat " . And All of them with Ernest T . Bass , and and the Darling family . And the one were Ellie ran for town council , and the men and the women folk were divided . And Otis smacks his mother in law in the mouth with a leg of lamb . Oh yeah and the one where Otis gets a car !

What a show , about simpler times .

18. KewlJosh536

KewlJosh536 Member

my favs were alcohol and old lace
    and the one where opie shoots a bird then raises it.

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

This is when stuff WAS STILL G00D!!

:)

20. sherman march

sherman march Members

the show just wasn't the same without Don Knotts. never even came close to being as funny once Barney Fife was gone.