The Age Of Adaline

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, May 11, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Age of Adaline
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 11, 2015

This romantic fantasy movie has the premise of a person who does not age. Something we X-Men fans have accepted with Logan/Wolverine or Twilight fans with the Cullens. And just as Edward Cullen remarked to Bella who worried about leaving her family when she became a vampire - in a few decades it won't be a problem. But, this protagonist is not anti-social like Logan nor does she have a family of vampires like Bella. She is alone in an unsympathetic world of the early 20th Century.

The movie opens in the present as Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively) is getting fake IDs & passport as Jennifer from a wiz kid in his home office. He is quite proud of his work and she in some maternal concern, warns him of the dangers of what he does and points out a couple of slip ups where she knows his real name. She apparently has had much experience in this, getting a new ID every decade or so.

Adaline was born normally in San Francisco in 1908, a couple years after the big quake, (as told by voiceover narrative). She marries normally and has a daughter, and her husband involved in the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge dies in a work accident.

Adaline's Wedding Pic
    [​IMG]

Then Adaline has a freak accident in 1935 with several fantastic phenomena coming together that stops her from ageing. After a decade when an old schoolmate runs into her and notes her obvious youth, she starts moving around but by the paranoid 1950s she is getting official notice because her paperwork says she's in her late 40s and she still looks 29. So, she confides in her daughter and moves out of town continuing her education and gaining knowledge from life experience over the decades.

We don't know all the details of her decades of wandering Europe and the U.S. but apparently Adaline has learned to keep a low profile and has given up on finding a partner to grow old with. Back in San Francisco, she keeps connected with her daughter Flemming (Ellen Burstyn) who now poses as her grandmother.

Daughter & Mother
    [​IMG]

Despite her aloofness and avoidance of relationships, which would give away her secret, "Jennifer" is an attractive young woman and gets the attention of a young man, Ellis Jones (Michiel Huisman) who is totally infatuated with her and will not go away. She finally agrees to a date and that turns into an affair. A planned brief affair, as Adaline is preparing to go away again.

Ellis & Jennifer
    [​IMG]

With the insistence of her daughter, she spends more time with Ellis, which turns into an invitation to go with him to his parents' 40th anniversary. When "Jennifer" meets Ellis' father, William Jones (Harrison Ford) he immediately calls her Adaline. When Ellis tells dad she is Jennifer, dad tells them she looks exactly like an old friend he met in England years ago. Jennifer fields this by saying Adaline was her mother but William is rightfully intrigued by the similarity.

Jennifer Meets Ellis' Family
    [​IMG]

That's it. Won't show you anything more than was in the trailers but you know it now gets complicated. I really enjoyed this movie.

Tho it is in the realm of fantasy this movie triggers a "what if" thot process that somehow melds into 70 years of life experience for those of us who have such. It brings up issues of age and periods of time that lovers cross, of me and Mrs. R, laying in bed together talking about the Blitz in London before I was born, or me and the young man 40 years my junior finding common interest in bed together. Life is such a continuum from one generation to the next - age is sometimes irrelevant. It also brings to mind the many friends and lovers I have had over those decades that are lost to me - no longer in contact or deceased. I am not immortal, but in my average long lifespan so far I have survived so many others that I can relate to the conceit of this movie.

IDK how this will work on younger ppl but worth a watch.

Attached Files:

2. Shale

Shale ~

The Age of Adaline
    Revisit by Shale
    February 25, 2016

SPOILER WARNING - Do Not Read if You Haven't Seen the Movie
    (What Are You Waiting For?)

I saw this movie last May in theater and recently saw it again several times on a cruise ship since it was released on DVD last September. I recently got the DVD myself and watched it again last night.

It is a captivating tale and well-made, movie that spans several periods. (I think it is a chick flick - but I seem to have been taken by it).

As mentioned in my original Blurb and shown in the trailers, Ellis' father, William Jones (Harrison Ford) had met Adaline in the '60s in England. You may have surmised that they were lovers, which they were but I really didn't want to give that away at the time.

However, I was really intrigued by the young William Jones (Anthony Ingruber) and wondered how such a spot on portrayal of Harrison Ford's character could have been cast.

Ever since we saw him as Han Solo in Star Wars in 1977 and later as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, everyone knows what the real Harrison Ford looked like in his youth and here he was being portrayed by a guy that not only looked like him but had all his familiar moves and facial expressions down as well.

Young William Jones
    [​IMG]

So, on the DVD Extra Features they did a whole segment on the casting of Anthony Ingruber. Turns out the 25-year-old actor, who had done mostly supporting roles and extras was also posting his acting videos on YouTube, doing impressions of Han Solo from Star Wars, which were so spot-on they became quite popular. This was seen by Director Lee Toland Krieger who determined he was the perfect actor to cast in this role.

Young William Jones with Adaline
    [​IMG]

The feature also had Harrison Ford's comments about Anthony and how he was quite impressed with they young man's portrayal of him.

Anthony Ingruber with Harrison Ford
    [​IMG]

3. OgDiva_Status

OgDiva_Status Banned

I loved this movie.