The Accents Of Movies Set In Nyc.

Discussion in 'New York' started by Bilby, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

How authentic do you consider the accents of movies set in NYC? I was thinking of Midnight Cowboy or Saturday Night Fever.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

New York has a myriad of different accents depending on where you live....Each Burrough of NYC seems to have their own. Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx...Manhattan has the least as this is more of a melting pot from everywhere in the world....Upstate NY is different, as well.
    I am told I don't have any accent....

2 people like this.
  3. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Much of the time, the film industry will nickle and dime and find a way to get around actually filming in a super expensive location like New York City. In countless movies, they'll film in cheaper cities like Portland, Atlanta, Vancouver, Toronto, and pretend it's in NYC.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i think dey aite

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I've heard real New Yorkers speak in a similar accent to what you might hear in those films. But as moonglow said, there is a diversity of accents even within New York City--Brooklyn comes to mind.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Most actors have probably spent a significant amount of time in New York and have a good ear for the accent(s)

The accent no one ever gets right in movies is the southern accent. It drives me crazy

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Really? I feel as though the southern accent is nuanced like the NY accent. Films seem to pinpoint a "generic" accent that is the average of a few of them.

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There are definitely nuances, but either way, southern accents in movies never sound like anything I've heard in any region lol

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Any accent you have heard in a movie you can find someone in NYC with that same accent. So they are very realistic in that sense.

The question should be a bit more specific because I have talked to dozens of middle easterners and Indians in the city and none sound like the main cast from midnight cowboy

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

One can hear Long Island's a mile away....:D

1 person likes this.
  11. Bilby

I am not an expert but what about Vivien Leigh -who was British - in Gone With The Wind? None of the actors had anything like a southern accent although it must be said Clark Gable was playing a blow in.

12. Bilby

In the case of Midnight Cowboy Jon Voight was playing someone from Texas, and Dustin Hoffman someone from Puerto Rico but had been in NYC for some time to pick up an accent. He would say kawfee.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Well then it's like I said...those accents are as good as any you will hear.

14. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

When i first read this thread, i thought it was about film locations.. wow i'm dumb lol :D

OK, so I think now that that's been said, I haven't noticed much in the way of accents in films where the story takes place in NYC. Sometimes it's there but other times it isn't.