The 70% Threshold

Discussion in 'Taoism' started by Ajay0, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Article by Sensei Sandeep Desai , who is a teacher of Tai Chi, on the 70 % threshold in Taoism...

The 70% Threshold

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    DrRainbow likes this.
  2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I found this interesting because medical science have also stated of a link between moderate exercise and longevity.

I know of a couple of athletes who died of a heart attack while going through rigorous physical regimens. Many WWF wrestlers have died young.

I also think people emphasis the term ' hard work' too much without focusing on smart work or love and enjoyment of work which provides a lot of energy to work incessantly without the psychological strain.

People striving to be 'hard workers' drain their energy, get stressed out and become mechanical workers. George Gurdjieff had also stated in this regard...

'All energy spent on conscious work is an investment; that spent mechanically is lost forever.' ~ George Gurdjieff

I think the 70 per cent threshold in Taoism, ensures that work is smart, enjoyable and conducive to mindfulness, and can give more output than work done with 100 percent energy from the very beginning.

Aesop had also stated similarly, 'Slow and steady wins the race'.

DrRainbow, Bilby and themnax like this.
  3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I agree but that does not mean you should have no work ethic.

DrRainbow likes this.
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

70 % threshold still means that there is work output.

No work ethics or laziness means zero to 5 % work output.

Yes, if you are in a demanding project with very short time schedule, you might have to work at 90% and beyond. But this will lead to high stress levels and binging to get rid of the accumulated stress. Youth, good physical and mental health, and good self-management skills can help you cope with such a workload, but in the long run it can lead to burnout .

5. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Back in hi school in mid 1970s. Somehow i ended up doing a tiny bit of running. That advice was given.