The 6yo with a gun....

Discussion in 'The Media' started by scottdfg, Jan 26, 2023.

1. scottdfg

scottdfg Banned

This story is very very ODD.....

I just heard today on MSM radio the parents were with him everyday at school (or someone was) EXCEPT THE DAY THIS HAPPEND!!

Also if he was threatening people with a gun earlier that day,WHY WASNT ANYTHING DONE??

This whole story is bizarre...... I do hope the teacher is gonna be OK....

I didnt know if this was the best place to put this but I figured Staff would move it if it isnt.....

Josephinelcajon likes this.
  2. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

Have you heard where the 6-year old managed to obtain the gun?

3. scottdfg

scottdfg Banned

Ya I believe he got it from home and snuck it out!!

4. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

Was it lying on the coffee table in the living room? The kitchen table?

5. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

I do feel the entire story is very strange.

6. scottdfg

scottdfg Banned

Why did they keep the ID of the parents silent for so long???

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The boy is troubled. He told the teacher that he would like to set her on fire to kill her prior to the shooting incident. Some humans are born evil--perhaps he could be one of those??

8. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

How did the6-ear old know that people could be set on fire?

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Public school Inclusion without adequate funding, personal, or training.
    I saw this way back in the 90's. Administrators would "include" all sorts of special needs students in regulate classes and expect teachers to just carry on and adapt.
    Here we have a troubled child who needed special care and understanding thrown into a regular classroom and thrust upon this poor teacher with no consideration as to what effect it would have. In addition when reported the administrators shrugged it off, as they don't want to get in trouble with the parents and special interest groups. They leave it up to the teachers to cope and if they complain or point out problems...well that's the teachers fault, they aren't up to the job...poor teachers.

I can remember back in the 90's when the push started to graduate all students. If an an administrator saw that teacher failed someone, they were asked what they were going to do about that failure, as it was obvious that the student wasn't at fault, the teacher was.

A kid has a gun? Just ignore it as the day's almost over, don't make waves, or your job may be on the line.
    Every central administrator and administrator from the principal on down in that building should be fired and held for criminal reckless endangerment.

Piney and scratcho like this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I certainly agree with you on that one.
    People running schools today have childish minds. Probably because they went straight from school to teaching and never grew up.

I went to school shortly after WW2, so my teachers were mainly retired people from industry, or the German Jews who had escaped from Germany prior to the Nazi uprising and been released from internment in the UK by Winston Churchill.
    My science teacher had designed the radar defending our south coast, The woodwork teacher was a retired cabinet maker, who assumed that every adjective started with the letter "F" and our music teacher was the conductor of a major German orchestra before he fled. He went on to cofound the London schools symphony orchestra that still exists today.

Between them, they produced HF's opera loving nutty professor. :D

That cabinet maker sure influenced me. LOL

big.png

11. MeAgain

I disagree about teachers being the problem.
    When I started teaching in 1974 all of the administrators from the superintendent to the vice principals all had extensive backgrounds as local teachers. In those days the school boards would look to their local talent, find the best teachers, and give them administrative positions. The administrators know the teachers, students, families, and local societies. They knew what went on in the classroom.

I could walk into the administration offices anytime of the day and talk to almost any administrator and they would in turn visit me unexpectedly in my classroom, just to talk or go over some matter.

Then in the eighties school boards started looking for the "best" administrators and they'd import some genius from out of state or from some far away place and they'd waltz in with some miracle new way to teach, screw up the whole system for five years then get their contract bought out and in would come some new miracle worker and off we'd go again.
    Every three years the entire system was upset, and it takes at least three years to develop a good class or system.

When I retired, the superintendent had been asked to leave one building as nobody knew who she was or what she was doing there and the administration building was modeled after a fort and I couldn't even walk in the door without a reason, appointment, and three forms of valid I.D.

oldguynurse likes this.
  12. wilsjane

To a large extent you seem to agree with me, except in your part of the world, unlike the UK, the same problem is with administrators, more than the teachers.

Here we have a system, where a teaching degree is needed to teach. Not only does this cause a lack of teachers, where their subject, particularly science and engineering has taken all their time at university, It means that people go straight in without experience outside of an educational establishment.
    Seen from another angle, a retired conductor of a major orchestra would not be accepted to teach music, despite having looked after more than 100 musicians for the last 30 years. Likewise, the head chef from the Savoy, could not teach cooking. Last but not least, despite work such as in my picture, I am not qualified to teach joinery, architecture or engineering when I don't have a theatre to design or build.

What I noticed from your reply, is the similarity between your teaching experiences and the NHS in the UK, where the administrators run the hospitals, with ridiculous salaries. Between them, they have more degrees in business studies and accountancy than a thermometer, but not a single medical qualification between them.

oldguynurse likes this.
  13. MeAgain

Agreed. We also have teaching degree requirements but they vary from very good to not so good from state to state.
    And we are also experiencing shortages due to the poor working conditions. This leads to "emergency certificates" and the introduction of those inexperienced in teaching methodologies.

But ultimately it is the responsibility on the administration to maintain a high standard within the school systems, and as you point out, central administrators are now just bean counters and building administrators are becoming afraid to offend the students, parents, schools boards, and central administrators....so they do nothing.

14. wilsjane

Exactly. The head of our local NHS is Mrs Caregoet. All the consultants call her the "Care Goat". Perhaps I should not laugh.

MeAgain likes this.
  15. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Teacher pay here is especially bad. Master's degrees making $40k.....used to be they could work summers to earn a living, but now the school schedules are so chopped up year round they cant. Same goes for fire, police, ambulance - any public service job is the pits. They can't unionize. I would understand if they didn't have the money, but the state has a $4B surplus just sitting around. So, you either get dedicated workers, trying to help people - and end up getting burned out from the rest of the chaff that will work for that money...or you get the chaff.... Every one of those fields is in labor crisis - seems like the teacher requirements have been reduced to "do you have a pulse? Yes? You're hired"

oldguynurse and MeAgain like this.