The 60s into the 70's spiritual movement

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by hippiemoonbeam, Jan 16, 2022.

1. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

This post could go in about 6 or 7 different subs, so I did the best I could with this one as I think it envelops it the most.

Im fascinated by the time period of the late 60's and leading into the 70s where people involved in activism, antiwar, whatever, were so tired, disillusioned, dissatisfied, etc... that they began to get into spiritual matters, going to India, getting into tarot, crystals, Esalen,group therapy, TM, going the self help route, getting involved in all the teachings and teachers that were making their way to the West at the time, the swami's, and rinpoches and Babas etc...

Is there a book that chronicles that move away from the political to the personal and reflective, that was going on at that time?

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Well, I've not experienced a draft. Can you imagine?

[​IMG]

3. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

I can't imagine, no. Its what made the war real, I think, in a way no war since has been. But thats really not what I'm interested in. The draft and what it left in its wake is the political, my post is about the books or media that discuss the move that occurred involving people being fed up with the activism and rallies and riots of the time and instead deciding the self help, "Rolfing" and lingo like "give ourselves permission", "free ourselves from shoulds", "get in touch with our feelings" became the thing to do, as opposed to involving oneself in the politics of the time. The change over, from political to personal is what Im curious about.

soulcompromise likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I understand. I'm not really familiar with the literature, but I think Hunter Thompson... Also, Tom Wolfe with the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test. The latter appeals less to me than the former if I'm honest though.

5. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations! Will check them out.

soulcompromise likes this.