The 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maelstrom, Feb 3, 2013.

1. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I don't hunt. So for me it's target shooting (fun as hell) and home defense.

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Anybody read Turner Diaries? It sounds a lot like whats going on today.

3. deviate

deviate Senior Member

:rolleyes:

The founders made it quite clear exactly why they said the people should never be disarmed. While I see tyranny as a possibility, I don't think it is likely.

Kindly stay the fuck in boston with your ridiculous, federalist rhetoric.

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Seriously?

That crackpot national alliance white supremacist is now equated with gun toting constitutionalists?

Funny that when the national alliance came to my neighborhood in va distributing literature, we told them to get the fuck out before we removed them.

What a fucking joke.

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Never heard of it- may have to look into it.

The thing is... I personally can see both sides. However I do think something more does need to be done to prevent ppl like the shooter in CT from doing what he did. So, if ppl don't want assault weapons banned... then what do they want done? Because apparently the federal background check thing didn't go through (which I don't think would be enough anyways- I personally can't own a gun because I have a felony- drug charge but I am about the last person who would ever shoot anybody...whereas there are plenty of ppl with clean records who should NOT own a gun.) but anyways... what SHOULD be done if no ban? Nothing? Or some kind of mental health screening? More security?

There ARE more shootings in this country than anywhere..except... oh, where is it? I forget but some African nation I believe... change the culture here or whatever causes mental illness? What would that be?

6. Mike Suicide

im not saying they're white supremist. but gun sales have been going up the last couple years. a lot of people are stalking up on guns and amo, like they're getting ready for some shit to go down.

That combined with the gov taking away civil liberties, talked of national ID cards and such, just like in the book. It's something i've noticed for at least the last 10 years.

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Expand carry rights. Repeal the gun free zone act. That would be my best suggestion at this point.

Most people have a conscience and are not going to go on killing sprees just because it's legal to carry a gun.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah...they have been taking away all of our civil liberties one by one for a while.

What makes me mad (okay slightly aggravated) about proponents of the 2nd amendment though is that they all care sooo much about that but they don't give a shit (typically) about any of the other amendments or any of the other things the gov. has taken and will continue to take. As long as these ppl have their guns the gov can do whatever (and no, i dont mean everyone that is for the 2nd amendment, just some)..

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really think its a bad idea for a law to be on the books that punish irresponsible gun owners. It would make things easier for responsible gun owners.

I've put some thought into it and I've pretty much concluded a safe is the only way to go with a child. Top shelf of a closet works when they're babies and toddlers, but I remember being 5 and following my cousin of the same age around her parent's room because she wanted to find her dad's gun for whatever reason. We never found it so I guess he hid it in a pretty safe spot. Kids are really curious and if they know something exists they'll look for it. Her mom thought we were just watching tv in her room the whole time.

stuff like that freaks me out now that I'm a parent. I wouldn't in a million years bring a gun into my house without it being locked up.

but i digress

10. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Well, yeah, I mean if I, or anyone...really wanted to go on a CT style rampage do you think the fact that I (or who ever) can't legally own a gun is going to stop them?

But it still stands that there is more gun violence (all kinds- including childs accidentally shooting and killing each other... how to stop that?- make parents take responsibility and safety tests? ACTUALLY that's not a bad idea. we have to do all kinds of things to drive a vehicle) than other countries and something is causing that. How to stop the black market? hmmm umm stop funding them? lol yea that's gonna happen.

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know. I've always had guns but have been buying more shit than usual since all of these gun control talks. I'm also way less passive about it, I guess for the first time in my life it feels like those rights are under serious attack. And I also agree with you about the last 10 years. Since 9/11 we have been going in the wrong direction but by now it is just snowballing. Who knows what will happen, I try not to think about it but also don't want to be a sitting duck if it does.

Sorry I took your post the wrong way. But that is usually what people are pointing to bringing that up.

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I read something that talked about all the kids who's parents either don't even own guns or they keep them locked up safely if they do.. and then those kids end up going to a friends house and the kids end up "playing"w the "toy gun"... kinda freaked me out.

It said that as soon as your kid is 3 you're supposed to teach them if they see a gun to - stop. don't touch. walk away. tell an adult.
    and that you're supposed to talk to any parents who's house your child goes to to ask them if they own a gun do they keep them safely locked up.
    and i hate asking ppl things like that. dont want anyone to think i think theyre fucking stupid or something. but then again now that im a parent-have to put those things aside and just do those things. but, geez, my son is two and by the time he's 3 i gt tt him about guns? i dont even want him to know what a gun IS when he's 3.

13. Mike Suicide

I think gun owning is a responsibility and should be treated a such, but certain types of guns should only be sold to qualified buyers. Just like anybody can get a drivers license but in order to drive an 18 wheeler or fly a plane, you are required to get special training and a special type of license. To me assault weapons fall into that "special" category.

14. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

And deviate, not you, of course but...some ppl are stockpiling guns because there is a black prez in the wh. Not everyone but there are those too..

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yikes. It does make sense to teach them about guns from a young age because there is a chance they'll be exposed to them even if you don't own guns...but it is scary to think about teaching a 3 year old about a killing machine. Of course, you have to teach them about stranger danger around the same time too. The world becomes a ridiculously scary place once you have a kid.

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Well, to get even more abstract - the corporations and banking systems in place that make us all work 50+ hour weeks just to stay afloat.. parents are stressed and distracted, kids aren't getting what they need at home, etc.

I envision a free market economy that is much more robust than what we have now, basic laws and community/state level regulation on a lot of things.

I think a byproduct of that would be people able to value and enjoy the things in life that really matter more, less broken homes, less lonely kids fed pills instead of attention and so on.

And the result from that would be a less violent, more happy society. Guns are not the cause of our problems.

17. Mike Suicide

In high school we used to ditch school and hang out at a friends house and get drunk, smoke pot and what not. The parents were never home and her dad had 12 guage shotgun in the main house. I remember we used to play with it, wave it around like stupid kids.

Anyways fast forward to senior year and one night they were partying at her house and her boyfriend used that shotgun to shoot her and two other girls to death. They then stole the parents Mercedes and fled to state.

I'm not saying the gun was the problem but if it had been locked up properly maybe that tragedy would not have happened.

18. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I'm not in favor of laws unless they are there to prevent intentional harm to another person or property. But I get where you are coming from.

By 5, I knew gun safety and my parents wouldn't have let me have access to any because they were smart.

But I went to a friends house and he went into his dads closet and got a rifle. I was maybe 6 or 7. I knew two things to do, tell him not to touch it without his dad there (he didn't listen) and to move behind his dumbass. That way when he shot a hole through the wall.. which did happen.. I wasn't between that gun and the wall. I don't even think he got grounded.

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I totally agree with you. But I don't see society changing into a healthy society.

oh and deviate.. if you are against any more laws (even like for parents who are stupid with their guns regarding kids)... then how DO you prevent all the incidents with kids... mainly the accidents w younger kids because the parents didnt have them safely away? Stupidity testing to own a handgun... or?

Personally I believe there are a lot of stupid people out there and stupid people can be quite scary.

20. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Not to be an insensitive asshole, but this guy comes to mind on a lot of these matters:

[​IMG]