The 20 Biggest Poseurs in Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lucifer Sam, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

Nicely put *shakes hand* you understand what i was trying to get at.

2. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

You're implying that anyone who listens to at least 5 of the listed bands doesn't listen to enough music? Riiiight. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. -.-' I listen to plenty, cheers mate.

3. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

I'm glad someone actually gets it. ^__^

4. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, if you'll refer back to my original post, you'll notice that I said, "If you like one of these artists then... well... you probably suck."

However, if you're posting at the Hip Forums, you probably don't suck; you just listen to some shit music.

But what you have failed to understand is that there is a severe correlation between listening to those bands and sucking. It's not that listening to those artists makes you suck; it's that braindead people seem to gravitate towards them.

So, considering this correlation, it's not out of line to assume that fans of the above mentioned bands are generally idiots; you people, of course, are an exception.

5. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

Hehehe yup, lots of those bands mentioned i listen too. but only because i like to not have to concentrate on some music much, or i actually like some of their songs. I love about another 1000 songs on top of that. usually i have no idea who a song is by but i love them. Ive always lived by loving music and not bands. My friends who follow a certain band, who when they release a bad song won't admit it because they like the band - i always think is wierd. If i happen to love most of the songs by a band then i may claim to like the band....like greenday or reel big fish.

6. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

I wish I'd noticed that, and I apologise for argueing in your thread. It just gets to me when people judge me because I happen to listen to some bands that are considered shit and "poseurs". Although I did not deserve to be insulted just because I happen to like a few bands some people disapprove of. -.-'

7. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, if you think about it, someone who listens to five or more of the bands referred to in the original post doesn't generally take the initiative to seek out non-MTV artists, let alone explore different genres and sounds. So, if someone listens to five or more of the bands listed in the first post, then he/she probably doesn't listen to enough music to have well rounded tastes. Orsino's argument is really pretty solid.

8. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Y'know, I really don't care anymore. I must just be one of the exceptions.

9. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

Id say someone listening to those bands over, general pop like, justin timberlake and ushe etc...... would in my eyes seem to have a better taste.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

totally agree with the list and you and they need to
    make it like 20+ longer and add sum 41 to it and like
    so many more of the mainstream artists.

hey is there a list of the opposite by chance?

11. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i havent cared for lenny's music since like for a long time but since
    when did he start thinkin hes hendrix? guess i missed somethin, thats
    crazy.

12. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

Mainstream is such a stupid word to use. Its like commercial. I hate lots of those bands in that list but some i really like. Ive followed Greenday for 9 years. Now they are in the pop charts with american idiot etc, and ive been told they are now commercial and mainstream. All that means is that they are popular with everyone. Is that such a bad thing? Its not as if the music is shit. Also i like Sum 41, its nothing deep but its great to jump around to and have fun, which is what its about. Bands shouldn't be punished for being popular. They should be punished if they write shit music, and rewarded when they write good stuff. Stop being a wanna be music critic and enjoy music for what it is. sorry that was a little rant there but it does annoy me. The only people i accept putting down bands are people in the music buisness who have gone through it. Its why john peel was soooo popular he was honest and knew what was going on rather than putting up buzz words like commercial and mainstream etc

13. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

Dookie was my first CD ever purchased, and Green Day used to be my favorite band. But you have to admit their music has gone a little sour. At least 'Warning' still had their authentic sound.

14. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

OMG... That made me so happy. :D

15. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

they were commercial and mainstream with dookie. why do you people all of a sudden realize they are a mainstream pop punk group?? they always have been.

16. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Did anyone mention Axl Rose? Anyone that wore spandex and Jim Morrison and Bono.

17. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

haha... I'd love to hear how you came to the conclusion of Jim Morrison being a poseur...

18. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

he was a drunk who posed as a poet.

19. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

He had been writing in his school days... I doubt he was a drunk back then.

20. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Well just look at the famous bare chested poster of him if that is not conclusive proof then ...

The fact that Morrison is considered a poet is absolutely galling. This isn't to say I think the Doors were utter shit and I like Guns 'n' Roses too. Some of Morrisons lyrics are good but never great.