that one book that ultimately made you look at yourself and life differently...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Defence_mechanism, May 19, 2004.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Read "Capital"... it is much more in depth that the manifesto.

I'd have to say -
    Beach Music by Pat Conroy
    Zholtaya Strela by Vladimir Peleven
    Crime and Punsihment by Fyeodor Dostoyevski

2. Smudge

Smudge Member

I Am Woman (by God's Design) - Beverley La Haye ...until then, I thought I had to take anything to keep a man, and accepted bad treatment. Then I saw how God wanted women treated. Also that I was deliberately created a woman, for a reason.... Read that 22 years ago.

The Heavenley Man- Brother Yun... read last year... really challenged me... because at the moment those of us who are Christians are still free to practise our faith in the West (more or less).
    But the committed Christians in China, who are part of the underground housechurches, are persecuted, tortured, imprisoned and killed for their faith.
    But even though that is in the book, it is still an amazing book, full of hope and miracles.:)

3. makno

makno Senior Member

the conquest of bread ...peter kropotkin ......fathers and sons by ivan turgenev.......the slavery of our times by leo tolstoy

4. CapnQuisp

CapnQuisp Member

The book that pops into my head is "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. I first read it in my mid-teens when I was a chubby, acne scarred teen struggling to understand myself and the world around me. This book was not only a great escape from my angst-ridden existence. I really feel it opened my mind and allowed me to not take life, the universe, or anything too seriously. It gave me a sense of perspective, and quite a few laughs. Even today, when I feel myself getting stressed , I try to remember Adams' admonition: "Don't Panic!"

[​IMG]

5. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

Go the Guide!

Did you know they've started filming the new Hitchhikers movie? Can't wait to see how they fit the whole thing into 2 hours!!! And the t.v show was so good, it'll be hard to beat!

6. CapnQuisp

CapnQuisp Member

Yes, I found out about the movie three days ago! I had thrown my back out lifting a box absent-mindedly and was recuperating through complete bedrest. My girlfriend Cristy told me the news and printed out information for me to read in bed. I can't wait to see it! I am sometimes disappointed with movie adaptations of books and t.v. shows. The Scooby-Doo movie, for example, was horrendous and captured little of the spirit of the original cartoon. I'm hoping The Hitchhiker movie will at least capture Douglas Adams' signature wit.

[​IMG]

7. TheDoorsOfPerception

TheDoorsOfPerception Member

For me it was various books on Buddhism and the works of Stephen King.

8. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

The Alchemist, by Paulo Cohelo - that's a book that everyone should read. Paulo Cohelo is an amazing guy.

9. PoetOnFire

PoetOnFire Member

The Way of The Peaceful Warrior was such an inspiring book. along with most any Richard Bach books, and siddhartha was good too. I started to read Zen and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintainance, but am not far enough too make any judgement calls yet. ill share when i have finished it.

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

For me it would be Ram Dass.{Be Here Know} great book.

11. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Les see one was Watership Down. Just from such a different point of view that it changed the way I look at stuff. Another was Another Roadside Attraction. Gave me that "Everything's Beutiful" feeling. Last one was Illusions: Tales of a Reluctant Prophet .That was the one that really opened up my mind. :D

12. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

The Glass Bead Game and Demian by Hesse. Well, I bet many more also. The stories of Borges. Certainly the Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin. And Dostoevsky, and Bulgakhov...

13. mjoda

mjoda Member

The Handmaid's Tale is an amazing book, it was also one that made me look at myself and life differently
    also:
    No Logo
    &
    The Celestine Prophesy

14. superNova

superNova Member

the electric kool-aid acid test by tom wolfe. HANDS DOWN.

amazing book, totally changed who i am and how i think.

15. Floyder

Floyder Member

The Making of a Counter Culture by Theodore Roszak. It does alot to explain where exactly the so-called hippie movement came from and what it ultimately might be leading up to. Completely blew me away at the time. And of course the Dark Tower series by SK.

16. Valis_77

Valis_77 Member

Journey To Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick

Hamlet by Shakespeare

Stranger Music by Leonard Cohen

17. gesone

gesone Member

To define what book has influenced me deeply depends on the epoch of my life in which I have read them. I love Greek mythology and Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey" have been greatly influencial in my hobby. I love Robert Ludlum's "The Acquatine Progression" as far as spy genres are concerned. Herman Hess has always been a favorite of mine, I love "Steppenwolf" and "Narciss and Goldmun". Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" has been a conerstone in poetical influences as well as T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land", and a personal favorite Andre Breton's "Earth Light". "The Geat Gatsby" from Fitzgerald is one of the best fictional psychological pieces I've read on the Roaring 20's. In a nutshell, it's difficult to decide which book has greatly influenced me because every book I've read has given me something; thus, I believe that every book is important in it's own dimension, it's up to us to decide what will affect us.

"Grilled cheese sandwiches will save the world!"

18. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

Lust for life- Irving Stone... vincent van gogh! realy inspiring..\

who moved my cheese?

godfather!

Johnaton Livingstone the seagul

Garfield comic strips

19. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

These are some:

"Rogue state. A guide to the world's only superpower" - William Blum