Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by Visexual, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Visexual

Visexual Member

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Where it all began at Plymouth Plantation in 1621, Plymouth, Massachusetts

Unfortunately the tickets are already sold out for the 400 hundredth anniversary (Quatercentenary) on Thursday November 25, 2021

[​IMG]

Eric! and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure it's not PC now. In grade school my teacher put on a head dress and had us do all the stereotypical things. I still remember her jumping around singing "dance dance Indian man".

What's funny to me as an adult is if you look at the kid's books on this topic the natives are not dressed. This is the East Coast of America in the fall. It gets cold and yet there is need to have them shirtless so they seem more "savage" I guess.

djomalley and Visexual like this.
  4. parua

parua Members

Irminsul likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I still don't think it's even been proven that Vikings ran into battle with horned helmets and less likely when they invaded the UK parts cause those dudes were hipped up on mushrooms and known to run off the boats stark naked, the Berserkers.

But they're depicted scarier with horned helmets. Those brutal men from the North.

6. hotwater

That’s correct although it looks cool, the Vikings never had horns on their helmets when they went into battle.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, they'd be impractical. I think there'd have been ceremonial helmets etc. I mean maybe they did wear them into battle too at some point, like small raids.

8. hotwater

The Native Americans saved the Pilgrims from starvation by showing them how to survive in the new worlds, so how did those belt-buckle hat wearing religious zealots show their appreciation,
    lies, deceit, treachery, and eventually warfare.

Btw: Just like the horns on the Vikings helmet, the Pilgrims never wore belt-buckles on their hats, although they were conical in shape.

Eric! likes this.
  9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor