Texas Chainsaw Massacre (old version)

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by babybud420, Oct 15, 2005.

1. babybud420

babybud420 Member

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get ahold of the old version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I have the VHS, but it is so old that it barely plays. Do they have a DVD of it?

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Yeah. It even has commentary with the guy that played leatherface and the director. Cool stuff. I bought mine about 2 years ago.

3. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i dont understand why so many people love this movie,it was horribly done,the plot was just crappy so was the acting and effects,it just ok and no more,the first evil dead made that movie look like shit,i think that movie is underrated

4. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

Gunnar Hansen and Tobe Hopper...ya its my favorite horror movie :rolleyes:

5. kif

kif Member

A low budget independant film with little to no visual effects is why you dont like it. It's what you picture what is happening and what could happen is what the original was all about.
    But anyway, the DVD is a must have for a TCM fan. Commentary and blooper reels are pretty cool. And that was one of the only movies to really fuck with my head when I first saw it. The re-make (if you wanna call it that) wasnt bad either.

6. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

7. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

its not that, like i said i loved evil dead and that had just as a crappy budget and was a whole lot better

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

This is one film in which I actually think the remake was far better.

It was far darker, unhampered by silly makeup effects (grandpa?) the pacing was better, it had far better pacing...

And the story being inverted made it even more depressing and nihilistic - in the original the kids ostensibly go to the house to do a good deed and end up horsing around instead, and dying for it - whereas in the remake, they ostensibly are out for a good time, end up abandoning it to do the right thing, for which they are punished.

9. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I think the original was a great film... The whole vibe was spot-on.. It had that sparse feel about it... Whereas that remake had leatherface revealed fully almost right from the start with the chainsaw buzzing... Takes away from the whole aim of the film if you ask me... Like someone said earlier.. What makes it is that you dont see the full extent of what is happening..

10. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

exactly.... its the suspense....... and you are imagining in your head what is actually happening behind closed doors....... its supposed to be the most gruesome movie ever made, yet you hardly see a drop of blood....

11. Dariah

Dariah Member

I like the original TCM. The Acting in the remake sucked far more than the acting in the original. And that's saying something.